• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The answer to bike flash mobs

AKsuited

Here:

<iframe width="1147" height="645" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AP2toGilTMk" title="Bulldozer crushes illegal dirt bikes in New York City" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

That’s one solution I guess, albeit a very short-sighted one. I’m curious as to the tag “illegal”; never passed through incoming customs? Illegally imported? Stolen and I recovered property? Or just operated by individuals acting outside the law? If the latter, and the bikes were confiscated as a result, then I’d expect to see disposal by auction. And if they wanted them out of New York that semi load of bikes could have been brokered out west. Either way would be $$ in the LE accounts. So really, this looks like just another politician generating a sound bite for an upcoming election, or a police official looking to make chief.

I guess there’s just something about waste and wanton destruction that doesn’t sit right with me…

Best,
DeVern

I saw this on the local NYC news last night, and I thought it was sickening. There are plenty of places where some people need transportation. Yes, talk about waste and wanton destruction. And for what purpose?

That’s one solution I guess, albeit a very short-sighted one. I’m curious as to the tag “illegal”; never passed through incoming customs? Illegally imported? Stolen and I recovered property? Or just operated by individuals acting outside the law? If the latter, and the bikes were confiscated as a result, then I’d expect to see disposal by auction. And if they wanted them out of New York that semi load of bikes could have been brokered out west. Either way would be $$ in the LE accounts. So really, this looks like just another politician generating a sound bite for an upcoming election, or a police official looking to make chief.

I guess there’s just something about waste and wanton destruction that doesn’t sit right with me…

Best,
DeVern

My thoughts as well along with the cost involved in putting the “show” on. :banghead
OM

This has been flying around Facebook for a while, too.

Justified, imo, but perhaps the better plan would be to teach the hooligans how to take their bikes apart (e.g. part them out), take digital pics and post them on eBay, then take the proceeds to fund community programs.

This has been flying around Facebook for a while, too.

Justified, imo, but perhaps the better plan would be to teach the hooligans how to take their bikes apart (e.g. part them out), take digital pics and post them on eBay, then take the proceeds to fund community programs.

I'm curious how it's "justified"? It is "understandable" in the sense that frustrated officials who can't deal with the problem (perpetrators not machines) take it out on inanimate objects that, in the hands of law-abiding citizens, would have real utility (especially in our high fuel cost environment). They even have utility to the government in the sense that a sale yields cash in coffers. Instead they beclown themselves.

What's scrap metal going for today on the open market? What's the cost to destroy them in this manner vs profit for scrap?

The most money for the least output, it's likely like this

What's scrap metal going for today on the open market? What's the cost to destroy them in this manner vs profit for scrap?

The most money for the least output, it's likely like this

That is totally unsorted scrap so is probably not worth the cost to separate the plastic, aluminum, steel, foam rubber, etc. It will probably go to a landfill. Bottom line it was/is a political stunt. I suspect it was intended to send a message. Whether it deters anybody remains to be seen. All-in-all, it was a stupid waste.

That is totally unsorted scrap so is probably not worth the cost to separate the plastic, aluminum, steel, foam rubber, etc. It will probably go to a landfill. Bottom line it was/is a political stunt. I suspect it was intended to send a message. Whether it deters anybody remains to be seen. All-in-all, it was a stupid waste.

Where's the "like" button when you need one?

A motorcycle junk yard for parts should have purchased them from the city. There's a lot of value there in parts alone.

A motorcycle junk yard for parts should have purchased them from the city. There's a lot of value there in parts alone.

There WAS a lot of value, but bent, mashed, and crushed moto parts are not a bargain. I would think seizing the bikes would be deterrent enough. Which is why I call it a political stunt.

Best,
DeVern

From what I have seen from news reports, the bikes and ATVs were illegal for use on public roads, uninsured, not registered, not legal, period. Crushing with a D9 was a bit overkill. It does look like they drained fluids before doing so. The stunt was meant to impress the people doing their bike flash mob stunts on city streets. It was a royal PITA trying to corral those flash mob riders.

From what I have seen from news reports, the bikes and ATVs were illegal for use on public roads, uninsured, not registered, not legal, period. Crushing with a D9 was a bit overkill. It does look like they drained fluids before doing so. The stunt was meant to impress the people doing their bike flash mob stunts on city streets. It was a royal PITA trying to corral those flash mob riders.

So once caught sufficient to seize the bikes were the riders charged? Were they tried? What were the meager penalties? Did the defense lawyers lie as much as usual?

So once caught sufficient to seize the bikes were the riders charged? Were they tried? What were the meager penalties? Did the defense lawyers lie as much as usual?

It's NYC, they may or may not have been charged. They may or may not be let off with no penalties. But that's sorta irrelevant, as the bikes were seized and destroyed as a result of their being confiscated. :thumb

The dirt bikes and ATVs showed up on city street illegally. Crushing them insured they would never show up on the streets again.

The dirt bikes and ATVs showed up on city street illegally. Crushing them insured they would never show up on the streets again.

I think that was their intent. Never to see them again on the streets under any conditions. Putting them through a smelter would be much more expensive.

We've got the flash mob bikers out here, they are called "hooligans" and like to stunt on public ways, sometimes shutting down traffic on the highways so they can stunt [ usually at night ]. Phx PD doesn't even pursue them anymore on the public ways when they are caught violating traffic laws, considered a waste of time as most "run" and they are not to pursue at high rates of speed endangering even more people in a chase. Now they just watch them do their "thing", ignoring them.

It irritates the crap out of me, they have a FB page in the valley and flaunt violating the laws. Most run no plates so if they are chased, they only need outrun the cruiser/s and they get off scott free. Chaps my butt they are allowed to do this on public ways.

Example of a biker flash mob in action. I would never have guessed that there that many dirt bikes anywhere near Manhattan. Kind of resembles a motorized riot, IMHO.

<iframe width="1147" height="645" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z22DPNpLvxM" title="four wheelers and dirt bikes take over times square new York city" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We were in DC a couple of weeks ago and at the Lincoln Memorial and had three idiots on dirt bikes and a four wheeler popping wheelies and tearing around all the tourists in front of memorial. I thought sure someone was going to get hurt. The capital police were sitting in the parking lot not able to do anything about it I’m sure for fear causing an accident with these guys and an innocent bystander. Eventually they tore off down the mall.

Back