• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘22 RT did something change on cruise control

motodan

As we know, there are several ways to disengage cruise control and to my memory one was slightly pulling in the clutch. Well today I tried disengagement by pulling clutch, all I got was an increase in engine speed. Is this an official change or do I have a problem?

Take it to the dealer and have them check the microswitch on the clutch lever. You should not have to fully disengage clutch to trip cruise control off.

Best,
DeVern

Take it to the dealer and have them check the microswitch on the clutch lever. You should not have to fully disengage clutch to trip cruise control off.

Best,
DeVern

You can do a preliminary self-test of the clutch switch. Key on, in gear, does the bike start with the clutch pulled. If so the switch would seem to be working I think.

On prior years a mere fraction of a tug on clutch lever would disengage cruise.
Check page 72 of the manual. Unless I’m reading incorrectly states clutch must be pulled in for 1.5 seconds to deactivate the cruise control.

Check page 72 of the manual. Unless I’m reading incorrectly states clutch must be pulled in for 1.5 seconds to deactivate the cruise control.

Don't want to red line it since that's where it was headed with my slight pull. In fact, when I released the lever bike jumped forward, that engine was still pulling strong at the set 70 MPH. Guess I'll just go with tapping the brakes.

Must be a reason for that? Wonder what it is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not good news. I like using the clutch to disengage without flashing the brake light.

Is this happening on a bike with Adaptive Cruise Control? I remember now that Adaptive Cruise Control does not disengage with gear changes, so the 1.5 second delay could be necessary. Is there also a delay when using Dynamic (fixed speed) Cruise mode?

That's not good news. I like using the clutch to disengage without flashing the brake light.

Is this happening on a bike with Adaptive Cruise Control? I remember now that Adaptive Cruise Control does not disengage with gear changes, so the 1.5 second delay could be necessary. Is there also a delay when using Dynamic (fixed speed) Cruise mode?

OP here...I do not have adaptive cruise.

If you want a smooth transition from on to off increase the throttle to match current speed then turn off the cruise. Sure if you want it back you need to reset vs resume but that is so easy...

Since you have a 2022 and if it has Active Cruise Control I have to say it works very well, better then on the wife's Outback.

Roll the throttle forward to disengage the CC/ACC without the brake/clutch.

Take note, you have to actually force the throttle past the idle/close position. Takes a little bit of pressure.

It does work, but to me (at least) it seemed strange at first. I got used to it.

The manual states "close the throttle by turning the grip past the idle position".

Rock on.

Must be a reason for that? Wonder what it is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m just assuming here the reason but changing gears up or down with the cruise control active does not disengage the cruise control setting as in some previous models. On my 2016 RS if I shift the cruise control turns off. This is not the case on the 2022 RT. Likely something to do with the throttle blimp during gear changes which must deactivate the clutch even momentarily.

Larry you're correct, I was surprised when I was able to change gears and the cruise didn't disengage like my 14R1200RT. I've always just twist the throttle off to disengage the cruise control if I'd like to keep it active but that has changed with Active Cruise Control.

Roll the throttle forward to disengage the CC/ACC without the brake/clutch.

Take note, you have to actually force the throttle past the idle/close position. Takes a little bit of pressure.

It does work, but to me (at least) it seemed strange at first. I got used to it.

The manual states "close the throttle by turning the grip past the idle position".

Rock on.

This is the method I prefer. It seems to give me a softer disengagement than applying the brakes. I was actually pretty excited to see that I could use the shift assist pro with the ACC on and not have it disengage. I think it all works brilliantly.

OP here...I do not have adaptive cruise.

It's still possible all the 2022 RTs are programed the same.

The 2022 R1250RS is not available with adaptive cruise and you can still disengage it with a quick tap of the clutch lever.

You should also be able to disengage cruise by just enough brake lever to activate the tail light, either front or rear without affecting speed. But yeah, I'd check the microswitch.

It's a dual-position switch, so the old test of trying to start in gear doesn't work, as that only tests the second position, and not the first.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

While the RT doesn't, found out today the '22 R1250GS cruise control does disengage with tug of clutch lever.

Back