• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning! GPS MIND CONTROL IS REAL!

I like GPS and have been using them for about twenty years now. I do plan routes and load them in sometimes, but just as often I simply use it as an electronic moving map where I view the roads and decide on the route on the fly. Occasionally when using a GPS to plot a route it would choose routes that are questionable. Depending on the situation and my mood, I'll either over rule the GPS or I may play along for some fun. Either way, I still make the final decision on go or no go.

"why can't I pick a road to follow? How hard could it be to just ask the GPS to follow Hwy 90, or 82, or 66, etc, etc. That would be nice."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. I can't do that on google maps either- though it might be possible?

When I set out to travel - lets say from Texas to British Columbia for example - I use maps to pick a general route. Then I pick a number of locations on that potential route. I go to the trouble of entering these locations, often a small town, into my GPS as waypoints before I leave home. Then as the trip progresses I can use these preset waypoints as via points in the GPS. It is pretty easy to control routing without actually building and uploading Routes. Along the way additional points can be entered as they seem to become useful. I do this almost daily while traveling.

In the above example, Carlsbad, Shiprock, Green River, Moab, etc. might be used as via points or waypoints. This is a combination of map work and GPS work to make the GPS a useful tool. Suffice it to say I would NEVER enter Vancouver as my destination and follow the GPS from home in the Texas Big Bend. Never! Remember that Garmin's main market is aviation and airplanes.

Back