• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What was your favorite concert?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Seems like it is time for the Grammy Awards. As each year passes, I recognize those up for awards less and less.

When I hear some of the new performers, I’m generally not familiar or really impressed.

I have had a thought through the years that the talent that impressed me the most were the performers that could perform all by themselves or with their bands. An extra thirty or so jumping around on stage with fireworks never seemed necessary in the past.

Elton John is coming around again….. Saw him at Schaefer (Gillette) Stadium in ‘73.

Jethro Tull at the Boston Garden in ‘83.

The Eagles 6 rows back in the center was great. Most technically perfect show ever.

The list is long and some great shows. I’ve tapered off due to the lack of civility at the venues but when I hit the lottery, I’ll have them play on the front lawn. ;)

So what have you got for concerts or performances from days gone by? Have the performers been able to (allowed to) last?

:dance

OM

There were a few.
Chicago in the early 70's.
Elton John about the same time with signed program.
Talking Heads in the early 80's.

Jethro Tull
Yes
Who
Traffic
Eric Clapton
Allman Brothers
Pink Floyd
Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Just a few of many that come to mind

First concert-Grand Funk Railroad-1971
Santana with Tower of Power. TOP brass came off stage and played a few sets in the aisles.
Rush

I saw a lot of live bands back in the day, but the absolute best was Queen in 1976. Freddy Mercury was an incredible artist and entertainer.

Three live concerts I've attended stand out:

Dave Brubeck and his family - Paramount Theater, Oakland CA 1974. Fantabulous show in a great venue.

Willy Nelson in the Blaisdell Arena, Honolulu HI back in the mid-'70s, you didn't need to smoke your own dope to get high, the second-hand smoke did you just fine.

I was privileged to see Harry Chapin in San Diego just a few months before his untimely demise.
Harry's Limo got hung up in LA/Orange County traffic, he started two hours late but played a three-hour concert with no intermission.

And, as an Honorable Mention, I saw Louis Armstrong in Walnut Creek CA back around 1965. Very small venue, a local Junior College, he invited all the kids (me) down to the very front, close enough to see the sweat glisten on his head.

I've seen several concerts over the years but Harry Chapin is also the one that stands out the most for me. I attended his concert in Grand forks, ND during my last year of college and he sat in the middle of this big stage on a chair doing a solo act for over two hours. He was an amazing and very talented performer. He passed away shortly after, and I am so thankful I was able to see him perform in person.

Tina Turner at Filmore West
Allman Bros and Little Feat at the Utica Aud!
Roland Kirk Somewhere on Long Island
Chuck Berry Town Hall NYC
Some guys in a juke joint in Clarksdale Miss maybe not a "concert" but memorable as hell!

Gotta admit. I had to give this some thought.

Johnny Winter...twice
Bob Dylan and The Band
Cream
The Byrds
The Nice
Steppenwolf
Blues Project
Jethro Tull
Yes

Lots more but those are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Gotta admit. I had to give this some thought.

Johnny Winter...twice
Bob Dylan and The Band
Cream
The Byrds
The Nice
Steppenwolf
Blues Project
Jethro Tull
Yes

Lots more but those are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Dylan- reminds me- saw him at Forest Hills- they booed the band- this was around highway 61 revisited so it wasn't The Band...just the band-another band lol

My top three

The Who in the mid 70s in Des Moines
Eagles, 2014 Des Moines All the band members were there
Fleetwood Mac, 2015 Des Moines All band members were there

Dylan- reminds me- saw him at Forest Hills- they booed the band- this was around highway 61 revisited so it wasn't The Band...just the band-another band lol

Ha!
This one was at Nassau Coliseum. The Band; Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm and crew.
Wife and I had 4th row seats.
Pretty crazy.

Social Distortion opening for the Ramones at the Greek Theatre in Berkely one of my all time favs.

When I was a kid my dad took me to Dizzy Gillespie and Earl Fatha Hines. Good shows despite jazz not being my thing.

His whole record collection is up on Discogs if anyone wants to see it. Same username as here.

Concerts

Moody Blues, outside at Stowe Vermont.
Most everybody I saw at Toads Place, New Haven, Ct.

Grateful Dead...11 times. Two of the shows were back-to-back and traveled with a friend to the shows. The one where I "got on the bus" (aka finally sunk in how the Dead worked!) was at Indiana University in Bloomington in October 1977.

Ha!
This one was at Nassau Coliseum. The Band; Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm and crew.
Wife and I had 4th row seats.
Pretty crazy.

Ha- I went to see the Dead there probably in the 70's (1970's not MY 70's) and security took my wine at check in. Sounds like you had a GREAT show- though that's a pretty large venue- unless you're in the fourth row!!

Roger Mcguinn at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano 1991
More recently at Soka University 2018

Quite a few over the years...

Most memorable was one of my first ones back in the mid 70's at the "old" NDSU Fieldhouse seeing Elvin Bishop and REO Speedwagon.
Saw the Doobie Bros. a year later at the "new" NDSU Fieldhouse.
These stand out because I was still in high school, and very impressed hearing these groups live.
Growing up in the middle of nowhere in NoDak doesn't give you a lot of options, unless you wanted to drive to the Twin Cities of MN.

Over the years, I have seen the Doobies a total of 3 other times, and have always enjoyed them. I was also lucky enough to see Johnny Winter 3 times over the years.

My absolute favorite was probably seeing Rush several years ago here at the XCEL Center. It was unbelievable the music they produced.

Also impressed by the Rolling Stones this past winter. The fact that Mick and Keith could still do what they do and still produce a decent performance is unbelievable, IMHO.

As I started to post this, I started remembering all the shows I've seen. It's been quite a few. I don't think there have been any that I could say that I didn't like.

Back