• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R riders, CeeBaileys needs your help

Chumley

Hello All,

I am new to this forum but maybe that will change after this post.

Many of us have the 1200 Roadster and want to tour but the air management issue is a real drawback. Many have purchased a CeeBaileys windscreen that fits on the BMW touring screen bracket but just can't shake the buffeting. Some have added a riser for the front edge of the BMW touring windscreen mount made by someone creative and talented named Don C or Ferguson to help solve the problem. But there are issues even using one of these risers. There are clearly issues with the basic deisgn from CeeBaileys (as well as others that use the BMW bracket).

That is all about to change and CeeBaileys just needs your help to get the new designs tested on a bike, but they need a bike to do it. They need to borrow someone's bike, maybe yours?

I am including two e-mails from Joe (Design/Production) at CeeBaileys, the most recent first and then the earlier one describing what the new design entails.

Contacting Joe:
E-mail: Joe@ceebaileys.com
Phone: (800) 788-0618
Montebello, CA (near LA)

Recent e-mail:

John,

Thanks for your persistence and support, feel free to post. Its funny when we post and get no interest but when an active member does it makes all the difference. This is a pretty sweet deal for the right guy who needs some extra cash and lots of goodies for the holidays.

HereÔÇÖs the deal on our offer and if you find me a donor there a couple of shields off anything listed on out site:

ÔÇó Two weeks or less 10 business days rental pays 500.00 cash
ÔÇó Two comp shields for the bike
ÔÇó One comp shield for any other shield listed on our site
ÔÇó One comp headlight guard
ÔÇó One comp cleaning kit
ÔÇó Loaner bike to ride home (2010 KLR 650) new tires, battery and just dealer serviced less than 5,000 miles
ÔÇó Full liability assumed in the unlikely event of any damage
ÔÇó Comp seat recover or rebuild if requested for any bike

ÔÇó Bike stays parked in our 60,000 foot secured warehouse
ÔÇó Bike will only be used for local road tests and pictures, less than 100 miles give or take a few
ÔÇó Bike will be parked the majority of the time
ÔÇó 2009 or earlier and must have the touring bracket
ÔÇó We can pick up and deliver with in a fifty mile radius of Los Angeles
ÔÇó We weÔÇÖll care for the bike as it was our own

All I need is one so hopefully we can get lucky

THX

Joe

Earlier e-mail:

John,

IÔÇÖve been working diligently on a new version that will fit all models 2005-20012. WeÔÇÖve made three new molds including a full sized design that should be effective even for the sports brackets. The shields part numbers are all the same for all years but the brackets are different for the 2010 and up. WeÔÇÖve received numerous requests for the later models and itÔÇÖs really starting to make me sick. IÔÇÖve had the later model bracket on order for two months and itÔÇÖs still not due until mid to late January. To make matters even worse the BMW listing is screwed up because they list the earlier bracket for the later model but if you scroll down ten more items it lists the correct part number. ThatÔÇÖs ok because at this point and time IÔÇÖd have better luck at hitting the Lottery than getting my hands on a R1200R. Getting a K1600 GT was easy but I canÔÇÖt seem to find the R1200R unless we buy the bike and IÔÇÖve exhausted all my resources. Heck all we need is the earlier model preferably with a touring bracket thatÔÇÖs already installed for a week or two and weÔÇÖll be golden.

The late model bracket appears to be no different that the earlier bracket except for different mounting configurations. IÔÇÖm more than certain that the main issue is the distance between the shields trailing edge and riders face. IÔÇÖve completed the newest version yesterday for what should be the final mold with a radical angle change. I hard to say for certain but the trailing edge is almost five inches closer to the rider now and if this doesnÔÇÖt do the trick nothing will. The second design was sent out and reported to be a significant improvement over the original. This shields rake angle was about two inches closer than the original but we needed it even closer so now we just finished mold number three. IÔÇÖm giving 10-1 that this will be the goose to lay the golden egg but with out a bike IÔÇÖm dead in the water. Performance is the main objective but good aesthetics are just as important and any good chef will tell you that if it pleases the eye it will please the appetite.

ItÔÇÖs getting really redundant for me to say too bad youÔÇÖre not a local; itÔÇÖs not a question of if itÔÇÖs a question of when. When I do get this bike in our possession IÔÇÖll dial it in and the rest will be history. Maybe you could assist in finding us a donor if so IÔÇÖll make it worth the effort for all but until that comes I remain dead in the water.

Can you assist?

THX

Joe

If I get anything out of this it goes to the forum for a raffle or whatever.

I'm too far out to help. Can anyone else?

Thanks.

John/Chum

Never mind. Member on another forum got his bike to the CeeBaileys shop.

Look for a redesigned R1200R touring windscreen in early 2012.

Thanks.

I've always maintained that when looking at an "R" owner you're looking at a future RT owner.

The R1200R

Chris:

Respectfully, you didn't look at me.

My dream bike had been an RT for a long time. Tested both 1150 & 1200 flavors at MOA Rallies. Loved them both, and swore that the 1200RT had a future in my garage.

But, Don Eilenberger is a member of my club. Knowing that I was looking for a replacement to my long-in-the-tooth K75RT, he suggested that I consider the R12R. I did. Hesitated at first. Did more research. Thought about what would be right for me.

Pulled the trigger last May on a used `09 R12R. Had 1700 miles on her then; now has 25K+ on the clock. Never ridden (or enjoyed riding!) so much in my life. I think of the R12R as an R1200RT, but without the Tupperware. IMO, less weight = more filling.

As DonE is fond of saying ... "I love this bike."

I've always maintained that when looking at an "R" owner you're looking at a future RT owner.

not likely
:)
5966388915_de1f5f0024_z.jpg

That's a wishful thought from an RT owner.. I actually can't think of a single R1200R owner who has gone to an RT. I'm sure there must be one somewhere - but I haven't run into one. I do know of lots of R1200R owners who came from an RT.

There is a quite active R1200R specific forum on http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20 - you'll find many of the ex-RT (and other faired bike) owners there.. and while there are some young riders of R12R's - a lot are well over 60 years old, showing how the lightness and nimbleness appeal to this demographic.

RT Owner to R

Don,

I will second your point about switching from the RT to the R.

I am another extremely happy R1200R owner who switched from a R1200RT.

I have no desire to switch back.

Bill

Ouch. I have an RT, I think the R owners buy them for personal preference.
And I must admit, many may convert. I'm looking at the new 1600's. Next year I will take one for a test drive.

I like air/oil cooled, but those 1600's look pretty sweet!

Love my Roadster. It does need better air management if you want to seriously tour but otherwise it is just fun. Coming from a R1200GS everyone said that if you want air management go to an RT. I finally got that air management with some careful tweaking of the GS screen from CeeBaileys (I broke all of the rules) and never looked back or at an RT. But that GS was still big and more than I wanted. I wanted the feel of riding a motorcycle. I intentionally went stripped down, keep it simple and hopefully more reliable.

The Roadster is just so versatile. With the air management element handled it will really fill out it's function in another dimension which is why I am so thrilled about the effort that CB is making.

I was told that CB is thinking about adding more elements (deflectors I assume) to the standard screen package to get more management in a special touring package. This can possibly add appeal as a touring bike to more riders. I am surprised to see that Aeroflow never produced a package for the Roadster so here is someone taking care of it.

I just never got used to the tiller type steering of the RT no matter how natural it may feel. You are directly connected to the R.

Back