• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

strataj

I have a 2022 R1250RT with a BMW radio. I'm trying to hear alerts from a generation 1 V1 with a V1 connection to my Sena 20s EVO. I can hear the V1 if the music source is Media but it doesn't come through if the source is Radio (AM/FM-SirusXM). I've tried both the V1 and JBV1 app. I'd like to hear alerts listening to SirusXM or FM. On my 14R1200RT I had the radio and to V1 hard wried to a Sean SM10 then Bluetooth to the Sean 20s EVO, I don't want to do the same with this bike. The Bluetooth is very good on the new RT's.

Do not want to hijack your thread. I am a total newbie here and to BMW motorcycles. Just received my 22 RT a week ago. I have been wondering about how to install a radar detector. Would you mind sharing your install and what is the going way folks are installing them?Thanks for the advice.

Do not want to hijack your thread. I am a total newbie here and to BMW motorcycles. Just received my 22 RT a week ago. I have been wondering about how to install a radar detector. Would you mind sharing your install and what is the going way folks are installing them?Thanks for the advice.

Thats a good question. I'm coming off a 14R1200RT, I used a fuse box to power the V1, mounted a Ram ball to the brake lever, you can trade out the mount to part 32728542296 or use a universal mount from Ram like I did. I don't have the space to mount the fuse box. It looks like an expensiveIMG_0717.jpg EZcam is the way I'll need to go to power it. I used a Sena SM10 to send a Bluetooth to my helmet on my 14 but I'd rather not do that on the 22 but haven't found a Bluetooth solution that works yet.

Last edited:
You may want to update your V1 to the newer version. It has Bluetooth build in and Valentine has their own App.
I have not tried that yet, since I have a 2018 RT and have my V1 hardwired to a Sena SM10.

I found that the light unit form Marc Parnes works wonders. I use that and no sound. I lock out all alerts except Ka and Radar, so it doesn't keep lighting every time I pass a supermarket.

You may want to update your V1 to the newer version. It has Bluetooth build in and Valentine has their own App.
I have not tried that yet, since I have a 2018 RT and have my V1 hardwired to a Sena SM10.

Thanks Bernie, I talked with them and since the chip shortage no upgrades available. If your generation 1 V1 is a newer they sell a Bluetooth add on, V1 connection https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=20230 it becomes the same Bluetooth as the generation 2 V1. The alert signal is sent out of the phone as Media, I want to listen to the bikes XM radio. I can't her the alert.

I use that same RAM mount with the magnet for my V1 on my R1200 GSA. Just a word of caution. Wind resistance will overcome the magnetic at around 120 mph or so. I use a rubber band in addition to avoid that experience being repeated.

ryuDpAu.jpg

This setup has worked fine for me on the K1300GT pictured, and now on the R1200RTLC. The V1 is mounted on a Ram magnetic base. It's pretty well protected by the screen in the rain. The coil cord connects to the V1 remote unit and my iPhone using a splitter inside the bag, and to an old but treasured set of ER6i earbuds. No bluetooth connection issues but admittedly old-school.

I found that the light unit form Marc Parnes works wonders. I use that and no sound. I lock out all alerts except Ka and Radar, so it doesn't keep lighting every time I pass a supermarket.

That is a good unit, thanks jstrube! I just didn't respond to it like I do an audio alert. I still have it and looks like I'll have to give it a go again.

Excuse the aside, but when any of you are stopped for speeding, or for that matter any reason, what does the officer say when he sees the radar detector?

And for the former officers, what did you think when you saw the radar detector?

E.

Excuse the aside, but when any of you are stopped for speeding, or for that matter any reason, what does the officer say when he sees the radar detector?

And for the former officers, what did you think when you saw the radar detector?

E.

I just unzip the tang bag and flip open the lid before the officer is out of his vehicle.

Thanks Bernie, I talked with them and since the chip shortage no upgrades available. If your generation 1 V1 is a newer they sell a Bluetooth add on, V1 connection https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=20230 it becomes the same Bluetooth as the generation 2 V1. The alert signal is sent out of the phone as Media, I want to listen to the bikes XM radio. I can't her the alert.

You could fix the problem then by installing a MotoChello speaker bridge in the speaker system of the bike. Then connect the audio output of the V1 and the speaker bridge into a Sena SM10 stereo dongle. This will send it's signal to your Bluetooth Head set of your choice.
I using above setup to listen to my BMW radio, USB stick and GPS directions, while receiving V1 alerts for 70+K miles successful. You can even control the radio/GPS audio by the wonder wheel.
I even tried it with a Sena 20S, 50S and a Cardo Packtalk bluetooth headset.

You could fix the problem then by installing a MotoChello speaker bridge in the speaker system of the bike. Then connect the audio output of the V1 and the speaker bridge into a Sena SM10 stereo dongle. This will send it's signal to your Bluetooth Head set of your choice.
I using above setup to listen to my BMW radio, USB stick and GPS directions, while receiving V1 alerts for 70+K miles successful. You can even control the radio/GPS audio by the wonder wheel.
I even tried it with a Sena 20S, 50S and a Cardo Packtalk bluetooth headset.

Thank you Bernie. I had that setup on my 14R1200RT and like you it worked well. With the new Bluetooth on the bike and the V1 having Bluetooth I was really hoping not to have to put that in the new bike. There is no room, I can't even find a place for a fuse-box. The bike has more stuff taking up any open area. Looks like I'll need to add an EzCam so I can power the V1 and my heated gear to start. The bike is great but no place to put anything under the plastic, you wouldn't believe what I had stored on my 02R1150RT!

late to this party

I would like to mount a V1 on my 2013 RT and am hopeful you fellas can guide me. I think I plan to mount the V1 on a ram mount (handlebar) not sure what I need to mount the V1 to the ram mount. Is there a specific plate or mounting interface I need? I also plan to use the Marc Parnes LED visual alert but I know the V1 has a remote visual indicator as well. Is there a reason to use the Marc Parnes alert over the V1 remote visual alert. I guess most importantly, I'm not really clear on how to power/wire the V1 and remote visual indicator. I've seem some mention using a Fuze box or something similar. Is there a step by step somewhere that illustrates the installation of a V1 on an RT?

I realize these are probably stupid questions but I'm hoping not to make mistakes/incorrect parts purchases in this build. Thanks in advance to any help and guidance.

Back