• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 Richmond VA: The 50th National MOA Rally

ABSOLUTELY! I was born and raised in NJ and (unfortunately) visit a few times a year and you can't easily navigate the Garden State without EZ Pass !! :nod As Doug noted many of the tolls are unmanned and many have odd rates as well. You need a GPS and the tolls are not cheap even WITH EZ Pass! But have a great trip :)

That supports my earlier decision to avoid New Jersey whenever possible. Life is too short for rent-a-road mania.

That supports my earlier decision to avoid New Jersey whenever possible. Life is too short for rent-a-road mania.

And a wise decision it was Paul! We only go back to visit friends and family and can't wait to exit !! But it was a great place to grow up !

There are some incredible and lovely backroads in New Jersey. You just have to "know someone"

Voni
sMiling

There are some incredible and lovely backroads in New Jersey. You just have to "know someone"

Voni
sMiling

There certainly are! We attend Americade in Lake George almost every year and when I would take a new buddy up to Americade I would make sure we stayed in western NJ and then would get up, usually on a Sunday, and ride Rt. 517 all the way up through Sussex and into Florida NY and then have breakfast at the Goshen Diner ... a REAL Diner! They would also comment ..."WOW I can't believe that was NJ" !! HA!

Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?

It would not hurt. The toll roads are in Richmond- not in the immediate area of the rally. Fairly easy to avoid most tolls in Richmond- but it will just depend on where you are going and if you care about saving a few minutes. Just check your phone map app for a suggested route avoiding tolls vs. regular.

Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?

Each of my EZ passes are linked to the license plate of the vehicle the EZ pass is registered to. If I was to use it on a different vehicle I would have to pay 30% more for each toll & might be prosecuted.

Each of my EZ passes are linked to the license plate of the vehicle the EZ pass is registered to. If I was to use it on a different vehicle I would have to pay 30% more for each toll & might be prosecuted.

Interesting .... I have a NJ EZ Pass and have used it on rental cars and it worked without a hitch. But you can add vehicles to it on the EZ Pass site.

Our EZ-Pass account lists all 4 of our vehicles (1 transponder). We move the transponder from car to truck and back frequently. My two M/C's are listed on the account (check to make sure your tag #'s are correct, especially if you've updated your tags since getting the pass). I've never used it with either M/C, as haven't had a need before -- always have avoided toll roads. But sometimes you need to take the short route home, and tolls may be in the way.

Thanks for all the good comments! No snark, very appreciated!

I switch my ez-pass between vehicles without an issue. In NY state we have motorcycle ez-pass that gives a 50% discount compared to “regular” ez-pass rates on the NY state thruway (I-90 and I-87). I don’t use my motorcycle ez-passes on my cars.

I've never been to the annual rally. I've read the program from this year and a lot of this thread but can't seem to find anything to indicate if the local club(s), or anyone else for that matter, will be providing information on good riding routes in the rally area or is the rally essentially a large "trade show" type of event? I know I could get out my maps and study them for possible routes but IMHO routes suggested by local folks usually provide the best riding. Just trying to get the most best information about the rally before I commit to spending the funds and vacation time on attending. In short, is the riding aspect of the rally the trip too and from the event and the focus of the rally is the seminars etc? TIA for positive input for all the never ever attendees out there.

Where is E-ZPass from other states accepted in Virginia?
All Virginia toll roads accept out-of-state E-ZPass:

Northern Virginia - Dulles Toll Road, Dulles Greenway, 66 Express Lanes Inside the Beltway, 66 Express Lanes Outside the Beltway, 95/395, and 495 Express Lanes.
Hampton Roads - 64 Express Lanes, Coleman Bridge, Chesapeake Expressway, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, ERC, South Norfolk Jordan Bridge and Dominion Blvd.
Chesterfield County - Powhite Parkway Extension, Pocahontas 895 (Route 895)
Richmond - The RMA Expressway System:
  1. The Downtown Expressway (State Route 195) from Meadow Street east to the I-95 Interchange
  2. The Powhite Parkway from Idlewood Avenue south to and ending at Chippenham Parkway
  3. The Boulevard Bridge (nicknamed the "Nickel Bridge")

I've never been to the annual rally. I've read the program from this year and a lot of this thread but can't seem to find anything to indicate if the local club(s), or anyone else for that matter, will be providing information on good riding routes in the rally area or is the rally essentially a large "trade show" type of event? I know I could get out my maps and study them for possible routes but IMHO routes suggested by local folks usually provide the best riding. Just trying to get the most best information about the rally before I commit to spending the funds and vacation time on attending. In short, is the riding aspect of the rally the trip too and from the event and the focus of the rally is the seminars etc? TIA for positive input for all the never ever attendees out there.

Lots to unpack here. Riding to and from any event should hopefully be a fun route that you can plan yourself. Our rallies require a lot of resources to be able to host 5,000 to 6,000 people and 200 vendors for three days, plus it is moved in a rotation through our Western, Midwest, and Eastern zones so all our members should be within reasonable riding distance. So it happens that our rally sites are not always in the middle of "great" riding areas.

This is more of a consideration for some than for others as many attendees never leave the rally grounds other than for snacks, beverages, or to catch a sit down meal. This is because there is so much to do at the rally. If you looked through the Springfield Rally Program, go back and count the number of seminars. I think it would be about impossible to attend them all, and they are all included in the rally fee. Plus, each year's Rally Chairs try to hire unique, quality entertainment for all three rally nights. In many cases, you would pay as much or more to see these groups alone as the rally fee. And, yes, there are vendors, typically from 150 to 250 offering all of the riding gear and bike farkles you've seen on-line but never been able to put your hands on. But, I wouldn't call the rally a trade show as the vendors are just a part, as I've described.

As for local riding, there is always a Hospitality Booth staffed by a local club or other group with information on good motorcycle roads and where to get a great steak. Sometimes the Rally Charis are able to get some of this information published in the Owners News prior to the rally, which is great for advance planning.

But, for many people the MOA Rally is a great big family reunion, which is the real reason the go - riding opportunities or not. They have made friends over the years who have become part of their extended family, and the chance to see them again, catch up, have a cold one, and maybe go for a ride together makes for a great event.

I hope this helps with your questions.

Disclaimer: I don't know what the plans are for ride maps and advice at this particular rally. But in the past 36 such rallies I have attended this information was available at least half the time, and more so most recently. The "trade show" aspects would be the vendors but shopping is for many people a good time at the rally. The best part is meeting all the future friends that will come into your life, and the old friends that already did. Sometimes it seems a bit cliquish, but a few "Hi there, I'm Paul from Texas" (or some such) will usually break the ice. The beer tent is an awesome place to meet people, even if all you drink is Coke or water. And there are always too many seminars I would like to attend but can't due to conflicting schedules or just plain lack of time. Go! Enjoy!

Last edited:
@motorhead1977 - Because different people enjoy different styles of rides (shopping, historical sites, pie, twisties) I never count on finding a local ride at the rally site. Plus the inclusion criteria for an aging club (number of hotels, restaurants, etc) generally put the rallies in big cities (at least by Vermont standards). So I use Butler maps and scoure the Web for good routes there and back, spending my time at the rally with old friends, meeting new people, checking out the vendors and learning at seminars. Show up,introduce yourself
to strangers, start collecting new friends.

Unfortunately one of my dogs needs orthopedic surgery and it looks like funds will have to be diverted from the travel budget, so Glenlivet and I might miss the 2023 rally.

Pete

"Unfortunately one of my dogs needs orthopedic surgery and it looks like funds will have to be diverted from the travel budget, so Glenlivet and I might miss the 2023 rally."

Sorry to hear this. I hope the surgery goes well for dog and I certainly hope you can make it to the rally.

"Unfortunately one of my dogs needs orthopedic surgery and it looks like funds will have to be diverted from the travel budget, so Glenlivet and I might miss the 2023 rally."

Sorry to hear this. I hope the surgery goes well for dog and I certainly hope you can make it to the rally.

My thoughts exactly! I hope he is going to make a full recovery and will be back at his post in your sidecar soon!

My thoughts exactly! I hope he is going to make a full recovery and will be back at his post in your sidecar soon!

Sorry for not being clear, it’s little Talisker going under the knife. He’s one year old and in training to take over when Glenlivet retires in a few years. Glenlivet is fine,albeit a tad jealous of that furry intruder

Last edited:
@motorhead1977 - Because different people enjoy different styles of rides (shopping, historical sites, pie, twisties) I never count on finding a local ride at the rally site. Plus the inclusion criteria for an aging club (number of hotels, restaurants, etc) generally put the rallies in big cities (at least by Vermont standards). So I use Butler maps and scoure the Web for good routes there and back, spending my time at the rally with old friends, meeting new people, checking out the vendors and learning at seminars. Show up,introduce yourself
to strangers, start collecting new friends.

Unfortunately one of my dogs needs orthopedic surgery and it looks like funds will have to be diverted from the travel budget, so Glenlivet and I might miss the 2023 rally.

Pete

Pete .... ditto to what other have said ... hope all turns out well for your pup! You will be missed in 2023 if you don't make it.

Back