• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$$$. Fuel

Welcome to supply and demand based economics.

You can blame Vlad.

There's always a reason or an excuse. Fuel prices increase because they can.
Spot prices like the Brent or WTI are indicators, in reality most of the crude oil and gas are bought with long term contracts.
Pump prices shouldn't increase just because the day's indicators went up.

Edit: Regular went up to $2.01 in Fermont yesterday.

Spot prices like the Brent or WTI are indicators, in reality most of the crude oil and gas are bought with long term contracts.

Well, they kind of do have to go up when oil prices go up, don't you think? It's hard for an oil company to point to the oil they bought yesterday vs. the oil they're buying today in their inventory, so pump prices reflect the price to acquire oil each day, regular supply and demand pressure, etc.

That's how prices go both up and down.

Here's a pretty good explainer from the nice folks at the Christian Science Monitor: https://www.csmonitor.com/Environme...ll-5-driving-factors/Oil-A-volatile-commodity

Running average of my Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is 97.0 mpg over the course of 52K miles. Has dropped a bit due to many longer trips due to health problems. It was @99 mpg a few months ago.

Harry

Running average of my Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is 97.0 mpg over the course of 52K miles. Has dropped a bit due to many longer trips due to health problems. It was @99 mpg a few months ago.

Harry

We're getting ready to retire, so we're going to wind up moving. We'll have panels on the roof, a Tesla Powerwall arrangement and an EV of some variety to do the bulk of our chores.

We'll still have ICE vehicles, but for primary usage and just getting crap done, I'm thinking a used Leaf or Bolt or even i3 would be ideal.

E10 regular is $3.40 in Creston Iowa. It was $2.00 fall of 2020.
Diesel is $3.90
North of us on I-80, regular is $3.50 and diesel is $4.00.

Looks like it took another jump today.
$3.59 for regular and $4.29 for diesel.

Last edited:
Regular (E10) was $3.999 today in Alpine, TX. I'd say we just about hit $4 per gallon. I think it went up to $4.10 before we got out of town but we had already filled up at the "cheaper" price. It still beats those old ration books from WWII.

Regular (E10) was $3.999 today in Alpine, TX. I'd say we just about hit $4 per gallon. I think it went up to $4.10 before we got out of town but we had already filled up at the "cheaper" price. It still beats those old ration books from WWII.

Or gas lines.

No reasons for long gas lines, super high prices, coupons, rationing, alternate day fill ups, all the suffering for lack of fuel. What was it
1 1/2 -2 years ago? Buck fifty a gallon. North America has so much oil, natural gas, coal to fuel all our needs and probably the needs of all our Allies and friendly countries needs. Open the pipe lines, allow fracking, open the leasing of federal lands and waters to exploration and extraction of fossil fuels. It seems like every time we here we are running out of these fossil fuels, we find more than we ever knew we had. Yes, there will be a time when we transition to some other form of even cleaner energy. I’m all for that; but we ain’t there yet. Ok, I’ll sit back and take the pounding that’s coming my way. Barry

SF Bay Area $5.50 for regular and $5.80 for premium. I think we'll see $6.00 plus before the summer.

As with many things, people panic when the perceived risk goes up. The war in Ukraine and the west not buying Russian oil, and people are panicking. Prices skyrocket up and take forever to float back down, since the demand for gas/oil is inelastic. There's much of the world that needs oil that's not aligned with us and Western Europe that will buy from Russia. I believe the supply will be there.

Welcome to supply and demand based economics.

You can blame Vlad.

I think Kbasa is on to something here, and Vlad has a good bit to do with it.

E.

It is more complicated than simple. The U.S, is a net exporter of oil, but we import lots of oil from several countries too. But we export more than we import. I can't even pretend to understand the economics and logistics of which oil goes where from where, and which oil comes here from where. But not buying Russian oil would not do much to our oil supply. We might export a little less than otherwise. It seems somebody in this country can buy Russian oil shipped here for less than we get for US oil exported elsewhere. :dunno

It is more complicated than simple. The U.S, is a net exporter of oil, but we import lots of oil from several countries too. But we export more than we import. I can't even pretend to understand the economics and logistics of which oil goes where from where, and which oil comes here from where. But not buying Russian oil would not do much to our oil supply. We might export a little less than otherwise. It seems somebody in this country can buy Russian oil shipped here for less than we get for US oil exported elsewhere. :dunno

Today’s economics are complicated. I often look at something that I purchased and realize that I couldn’t ship it back to where it was manufactured for the price I just paid.
Many automobile dealerships are charging “over list” for their vehicles- ADM (additional dealer markup). I like to remember who has been reasonable and fair during trying times.
OM

$1.839 / litre for regular, $200.9 for premium (ethanol free) here in London, Ontario. :banghead

Riding the bikes is certainly going to be more economical than driving our car but still mighty pricey! :banghead

Its hit us too down in New Zealand. We did a big ride yesterday and price all over the north island were around $3.05 NZD/litre for 91/regular ...which is around $2.10 USD/litre or $7.95/gallon. Premium fuel is another 10% on top of that. No idea what it will go to here seeing as we are at the **** end of the world! we import all our petroleum I think. its going to get interesting!
Our grocery bills have also gone through the roof over the past 12 months, and for the farm our fertiliser, feed costs are up 200% ...crazy times

re: where it comes from and where it goes -
There are several refineries around here, but I think that only a very few of them actually sell gasoline to the local stations (Shell, maybe Chevron, maybe "USA" gasoline).
There are also a few "tank" fields, huge storage areas of what is pulled from the ground (and ocean) around here; I've heard several times (but never bothered to confirm) that what is stored there is not made into gasoline for the locals, but is converted to aviation fuel.

Back