• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mystery spot under R1250RT

zip50

Came out to the garage to find a wet spot under my 2020 R1250RT w/10k miles. Ride it daily. All service up to date. Oil change 1k/2 weeks ago. Seems to be coming from one of two overflow tubes on the left side of the engine. Never seen it before on this or my previous 2014 w/109k miles. Don't want to drive it until I have a sense of what it might be. Appreciate any clues. IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1087.jpg

Does the fluid have an odor? Possibly it might be gasoline from the fuel injection system.

Take a look at this diagram from the Max BMW parts fiche. There is a charcoal canister as part of the fuel emissions mitigation system:

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 9.21.53 PM.png

Did you refuel the bike just before parking it? Have you felt the spot to see if it’s oily and/or has a distinctive odor?

Best,
DeVern

Did you refuel the bike just before parking it? Have you felt the spot to see if it’s oily and/or has a distinctive odor?

Best,
DeVern

I refueled last night and drove 25 miles before returning home. Did not smell of gasoline. It did feel oily to the touch.

Park it in a new place in your garage and see if the spot comes back.

or place a piece of cardboard/newspaper underneath.

SPP

I refueled last night and drove 25 miles before returning home. Did not smell of gasoline. It did feel oily to the touch.

Unless I'm missing something, after eliminating gas and oil, your possibilities are oil, coolant, brake fluid and clutch fluid. The pic doesn't look like oil. The most dangerous is brake fluid but I would expect the loss to show up in one of the reservoirs even if the leak is from the ABS system. Ditto clutch fluid. That much coolant loss might not be so apparent in the overflow tank.

I suppose you could open up each reservoir and see which fluid most closely resembles what is on the floor.

I'd be looking for a coolant leak. Some of the coolant could have leaked during your ride.

E.

I'd be looking for a coolant leak. Some of the coolant could have leaked during your ride.

E.

The newer Wetheads have a drain tube from the hole in the left side of the block so any waterpump seepage drips on the ground instead of the engine.

The newer Wetheads have a drain tube from the hole in the left side of the block so any waterpump seepage drips on the ground instead of the engine.

Correct. He said it "seems" to be coming from one of the two overflow tubes. He might also want to check the radiators and connections to make sure it's not coming from another area.

If the leak is not substantial, and overheating is not an issue, top off the coolant if necessary, and take it to the shop. You're still in warranty.

E.

Put a clean piece of WHITE paper under it, supported so it's not on the floor, and see what color the most recent drip is. You can even take that outside and see if it burns (carefully....).

I remember when the Wethead bikes were being roundly criticized because of some visible coolant stains or marks on the engine cases. This seemed to be very common. Now, if I understand correctly there is a drain hose to allow the seepage to go to the ground instead of staining the engine. I strongly suspect this is what the OP has seen. I might be wrong.

Mystery solved (I think)

After reading through the thread I think I know now what it was. I filled up a day ago and then drove approximately 20 miles. When I got home I put in some fuel treatment. I now believe that I might not have gotten the bottle neck down into the tank far enough and some of it may have inadvertently gone directly down the fuel overflow tube. That would explain the slightly oily, but non-gasoline smell and the lack of any stain on the white cardboard under the bike overnight.

Thanks much for your collective wisdom.

Back