• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

98 R1100r heated grips only work on low

Hello,
My OEM heated grips are only working on low.
I am getting around 6 ohms on both pairs of brown/black wires under the tank.
I assume since the low and high circuits use the same wiring, the fault must be the switch...?
Also, I have heard the switch is serviceable, at least can be taken apart and cleaned, is that true?

Many Thanks for your time,
Cam

Hello,
My OEM heated grips are only working on low.
I am getting around 6 ohms on both pairs of brown/black wires under the tank.
I assume since the low and high circuits use the same wiring, the fault must be the switch...?
Also, I have heard the switch is serviceable, at least can be taken apart and cleaned, is that true?

Many Thanks for your time,
Cam

I've replaced the heated grips switch on my Oilhead once and simply disconnected the four way switch when it ceased to work due to corroded wires (four ways are now activated by holding both turn signal switches). Twice (same switches) on my K100, I replaced the switches for the four way flashers and have since installed an aftermarket switch to activate the four ways on the K. It could be that I have incredibly bad luck or these switches might have weather related issues. :dunno

Good to hear how things worked out :thumb
OM

I wonder if this was the problem that my heated switch had. The service department gave me two choices for my corroded wires; either have them install a new switch or simply disconnect the wires. I chose the latter as I knew the the turn signals can activate the four ways.

Back