• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First gear clunk after neutral stop?

tronic16

I ride a 2016 RT, 34,000 Kms. I find that at a stop in neutral there's quite a jolt/kick to first gear. Is this normal ? Anyone experiencing this same issue ? Thanks

My 15 has done it since new!
Only way I can mitigate it is by shifting up to second then down to first

...Only way I can mitigate it is by shifting up to second then down to first

My first car had a 4-speed manual transmission with synchromesh only in gears 2-3-4. And that was the trick when at a stop in neutral with the clutch engaged: depress the clutch, stab into 2nd, and then into first. Wow, you brought back some distant memories. :clap

Yep nothing wrong.

Not a issue for me as in 45 years I never have stopped ANY manual transmission in neutral at a stop light or stop sign.

A guy I used to ride with always stopped in neutral and it actually hurt my ears and was embarrassing when he clunked into first and we took off from a stop. Really great advertisement for BMW motorcycles.

A bunch of free-spinning gears abruptly coming together :wave

I’m going to add a bit to your title for clarity.

OM

Yep nothing wrong.

Not a issue for me as in 45 years I never have stopped ANY manual transmission in neutral at a stop light or stop sign.

A guy I used to ride with always stopped in neutral and it actually hurt my ears and was embarrassing when he clunked into first and we took off from a stop. Really great advertisement for BMW motorcycles.

My left hand gets tired squeezing that clutch......therefore in neutral !

It helps if you minimize the time between pulling the lever and kicking the shifter down. Put some light pressure on the shifter, then continue the shift as the clutch is pulled in. Pulling in the clutch, waiting a bit, and then shifting will produce a clunk every time.

The transmission gears are spinning even when you are in neutral. As soon as you pull the clutch they begin to slow down or even stop, so when you do shift into gear moving bits get slammed into slow or stopped bits. If you clutch & shift nearly simultaneously, the gears will be at matching speeds and will mesh smoothly. When I get it right, I need the gear indicator on the dash to know I've completed the shift because there is no noise or motion.

When stopped in neutral I find that pulling in the clutch and pausing to let the gears slow down a bit reduces or eliminates the clunk. I don't think this is just a BMW thing as my friends seem to have the same issue. I often hear a clunking sound when they go into first from a standing neutral.

You are getting different opinions on this, so you may have to experiment.

I believe clunking is part of the BMW boxer history. The transmissions have always had that agricultural heritage.
My '16 RT does clunck but I have to admit my '18 GSA is much smoother. ;)

Yes, a "clunk" is certainly noticeable on my 2015 GSA, when shifting from neutral into 1st.

That aside, I'd add a comment on being in neutral at a red light. In 2007, I rode out to California, and while there, I went to a BMW dealer for an oil change. Turned out that that dealer serviced a lot of California Highway Patrol BMW's. I ended up talking to two CHIP officers, while we all waited for our bikes. I asked for any tips they had for riding in busy LA traffic, or any riding tips generally. One piece of advice, among others, that they both gave me was to always leave it in 1st, when stopped at a light etc. They said I should always be ready to escape - quickly - if ever I needed to. They also combined this with a recommendation to always plan for an escape path, before I ever come to a full stop. Among other things, that means I never stop too closely to the vehicle in front of me, and I always have my bike slightly angled to the right, or left, side (whichever offers the better escape path). I've done that ever since.

Yes, a "clunk" is certainly noticeable on my 2015 GSA, when shifting from neutral into 1st.

That aside, I'd add a comment on being in neutral at a red light. In 2007, I rode out to California, and while there, I went to a BMW dealer for an oil change. Turned out that that dealer serviced a lot of California Highway Patrol BMW's. I ended up talking to two CHIP officers, while we all waited for our bikes. I asked for any tips they had for riding in busy LA traffic, or any riding tips generally. One piece of advice, among others, that they both gave me was to always leave it in 1st, when stopped at a light etc. They said I should always be ready to escape - quickly - if ever I needed to. They also combined this with a recommendation to always plan for an escape path, before I ever come to a full stop. Among other things, that means I never stop too closely to the vehicle in front of me, and I always have my bike slightly angled to the right, or left, side (whichever offers the better escape path). I've done that ever since.

Great advice, never put it in neutral, may need to get out of the way quickly if someone is not stopping behind you.

They said I should always be ready to escape - quickly - if ever I needed to. They also combined this with a recommendation to always plan for an escape path, before I ever come to a full stop. Among other things, that means I never stop too closely to the vehicle in front of me, and I always have my bike slightly angled to the right, or left, side (whichever offers the better escape path). I've done that ever since.

YUP. Been doing this for 20+ years. What would be a fender-bender rear ender in a car could easily be a meat sandwich even for us. No thanks.

clunk into 1st

wet clutches by default are in a liquid medium - oil. As the engine part of the clutch turns (with the lever pulled in) it spins the oil and the other half then turns and gets the gears moving. It is worse when cold and the oil is thicker. In a way wet clutches act like a torque converter so their is always some pressure to turn the non-engaged half. Have worked on vehicles were we had to turn them off in order to attach externally driven devices due to the pressure created by the spinning oil.

I hadn't ridden my Speed Twin in a month or so and went on a ride this AM. Click going into gear from neutral, click into second. Click back down to first. Snick, snick, snick everywhere. No special memory needed to know which gear works and which doesn't.

BMW's new and old, while reliable, have clunky unpleasant transmissions.

There was an upgrade to the Wethead transmission for the 2017 model year. We have two 2017s and still get the clunk when engaging 1st gear from neutral... but ours is a smoother more sophisticated clunk than those that clunked before us.

There was an upgrade to the Wethead transmission for the 2017 model year. We have two 2017s and still get the clunk when engaging 1st gear from neutral... but ours is a smoother more sophisticated clunk than those that clunked before us.

I had read the 2017 propaganda. My 2017 clunks. The 2020 GS I've ridden a fair amount clunks.

Love BMW's though.

YUP. Been doing this for 20+ years. What would be a fender-bender rear ender in a car could easily be a meat sandwich even for us. No thanks.

Yup that's exactly what happened to a co-worker on a sport bike
He saw the car coming up behind him too fast and didn't have time as he was in neutral.
He flew 20 some feet and was lucky to be uninjured...his bike was NOT so lucky!

Watch your mirrors.jpg

Back