• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

KGT, 2003 - shock change question

jjciii

so I have a 2003 KGT with 40k on it. I have changed the rear shock, but not the front. From what I read, it is a real job having to take the front end off. BUT, can any one give me a better description of the job up front? Just what really has to come off?

It’s not that bad a job. I found it easiest to get all the bodywork and the fuel tank removed, then pull the front wheel and reinsert the axle. I ran a tie down strap from the handlebar area to the axle to help control how far down the sliders could drop, then removed the top and bottom shock bolts, lowered the sliders as needed, and rotated the shock 90 degrees and pulled it out toward the front, top end first.

My aftermarket shocks were a tad longer than OEM due to a sidecar trail conversion, so on reassembly I needed more room and just pulled the pivot bolt for the telelever to get the room I needed. BMW calls for that bolt to be replaced if removed, as it has “microencapsulated thread sealant”, but I reused the bolt after a thorough cleaning and reapplication of blue loctite. Mind the proper torque specs on all the fasteners involved, and lube the lower shock bushing to prevent squeaks.

Best,
DeVern

Back