• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the Blue Ridge Parkway inherently dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all I would rather have the police than not have them. Others may not agree. That's OK. I live in a safe place, 25 miles from Mexico. :blah

Since so many Americans seem not to know what a turn signal is, can't read the word STOP on a big red reflective sign, are completely unaware that the left lane is for the faster moving traffic, believe deep in their hearts that "it's OK to keep going through the intersection for a count of 3 after the light turns red", get most of their texting and email reading done while driving, I'm going to say that I think we should keep the traffic cops around.

In fact, I'll go further and say that our "freedom" to drive on public roads should be harder to obtain, and that some kind of schooling should be required, not suggested, and that the testing should be hard, and if you lose your license because of irresponsible behavior it should be even harder to get it the next time around.

If this opinion is unpopular with folks who think it's their "right" to put others at risk because that satisfies their inner needs, or feel that they are victims of "extortion" because the rules apply to them, well, I'm OK with that.

Since so many Americans seem not to know what a turn signal is, can't read the word STOP on a big red reflective sign, are completely unaware that the left lane is for the faster moving traffic, believe deep in their hearts that "it's OK to keep going through the intersection for a count of 3 after the light turns red", get most of their texting and email reading done while driving, I'm going to say that I think we should keep the traffic cops around.

In fact, I'll go further and say that our "freedom" to drive on public roads should be harder to obtain, and that some kind of schooling should be required, not suggested, and that the testing should be hard, and if you lose your license because of irresponsible behavior it should be even harder to get it the next time around.

If this opinion is unpopular with folks who think it's their "right" to put others at risk because that satisfies their inner needs, or feel that they are victims of "extortion" because the rules apply to them, well, I'm OK with that.

Well, if others are okay with it…gee, that really sets it all straight. On Opposite Day.

Some here obviously are “okay” with a lot. That’s “okay” with me.

Less “okay”, they want others, who aren’t “okay” with whatever, to think as they do…or at least be forced to obey. It’s a common thought pattern. Also, in my view, dumb as the day is long.

Notably, it angers this class of person to know that someone they don’t know and who has not harmed anyone or anything has somehow “gotten away” with something they don’t feel comfortable “getting away” with. Weird.

But fun!

To wit:

I speed constantly. I haven’t been ticketed in decades. And I probably won’t soon. If I do, it is highly likely to change NOTHING. Better, if I did it so much that I were uninsurable (or if my rates were made absurdly exorbitant), I have the money to place the bond (a mere $50K) and the required, documentable net worth of $500K (also quite modest) required by the State if one doesn’t have third-party insurance (although I’m certain the State has its own point threshold). Ticket me…I’ll add it to the irrelevant background noise of my life. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I am not at all chastened. And none of the “okay” kids or their cop heroes can change that.

How does the Women’s Christian Temperance Union like them apples?

Probably not much. Again, weird how invested internet nannies can be.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know the quantity of revenue derived from citations issued when no property or person had been harmed versus those issued following actual harm to property and people.

Also be interesting to know how the increasingly expensive and lower-class-crushing violation fines, related FTA fines and associated accoutrement, license suspensions and revocations have made driving safer (if they have) versus, say, car tech. And, hey, what are the demographics of recipients of citations? I’d guess that it’s a cute little apparatus where those who can afford it least are penalized the most. Don’t really care because I have the bread, and I don’t pretend to care about those people. But the malevolent do-gooders reading on may pretend to…so, maybe worth knowing who’s paying.

For my part, no material harm, no foul.

Separately, traffic cops (and most cops, from your local GED-level paramilitary squads to the Ivy Leaguers composing the FBI) relatively rarely prevent crime. It’s very difficult to do that. Far more often, they analyze a crime that has happened and pursue some course of subsequent action (investigate and report). Notably, they take it much more seriously when the victim of the crime is the State versus another, real citizen. So, if cops make one feel safe, one might rethink that. Rest assured, they’ll likely offer you paperwork to support your insurance claim after the crime they didn’t stop—handy…I guess. See, if only you can prevent forest fires, then only you can prevent crime. I’m not convinced police are unnecessary, but I could get there. It’s not far from where I sit.

Whatever the case, I don’t believe cops make roads safe. And I don’t view most of the roads I’ve seen as being inherently dangerous. By contrast, people who adore tickets and extortion schemes may be inherently dangerous.

Last edited:
The road is not dangerous. Drivers and riders are, whether they are rich or poor.

Close. Nice work.

Drivers and riders may be. Some that are speeding may not be (even though they are breaking THE LAW!!!!!), some who are slowly meandering with vague lane position and irregular velocity changes may be (even though they’re perfectly lawful, compliant folks).

Last edited:
We like to remind members to not feed the trolls- 🤡

Please-

Phrase. don't feed the troll. (Internet slang) Said to urge another not to respond to disruptive attention-seeking behavior, particularly in online contexts, by pointing out any such response is likely to be counterproductive.

Thanks.

The Mod Team.

Please-

Phrase. don't feed the troll. (Internet slang) Said to urge another not to respond to disruptive attention-seeking behavior, particularly in online contexts, by pointing out any such response is likely to be counterproductive.

Thanks.

The Mod Team.

:thumb

Please-

Thanks.

The Mod Team.

This is trolling. Just so you know.

It's not topical (and road danger and law enforcement ARE).

For those of you that are tired of trolling or other postings from specific individuals here on the forum, there is a cure.
Access your settings from clicking on your username or from the upper left of the main page >
Check the selections on the left for the “ignore list”. >
Add a forum username to the box >
The forum will skip over posting from selected usernames.

Of course as complaints stack up, the Moderator Team is left with the unfortunate choice of firing up the Banned Wagon.

Enjoy the forum.

The Mod Team.

This thread started out as somewhat interesting.
Then it became somewhat amusing.
Then it became mildly abusive (to the faint-of-heart).
Now it's just boring - the initial question has been answered in full.
Leave the thread in place... but it's time to close it.

This thread started out as somewhat interesting.
Then it became somewhat amusing.
Then it became mildly abusive (to the faint-of-heart).
Now it's just boring - the initial question has been answered in full.
Leave the thread in place... but it's time to close it.

Wait.........

Rather than requote the long post from @jr31, I'll summarize it by repeating the words of someone who is a more astute observer of society than me:

If the only penalty for breaking a law is a fine, that means it's legal for rich people. (Where "rich" means the fine is basically pocket change).

If the only penalty for breaking a law is a fine, that means it's legal for rich people. (Where "rich" means the fine is basically pocket change).

Is there not a points system in place in most/all states? Accumulate enough and you lose your licence no matter how "rich" one is.

Oh, and the BRP is not unsafe.

Is there not a points system in place in most/all states? Accumulate enough and you lose your licence no matter how "rich" one is.

Oh, and the BRP is not unsafe.

What’s enough points? I have those monies. Also the money to pay counsel to handle suspensions.

https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Idaho-Violation-Point-System.pdf

Oh, and it very well may be. So, no. Inherency is the question as I understand it.

But, please view things as a binary…and keep riding. Good combo.

Do whatever the signs say.

I recall reading in a newspaper an article about a guy who was sent to prison for a DUI. But it was his 18th DUI conviction and he had had his driving privileges revoked several years earlier. Finally a judge decided that fining him again was a useless exercise so he got to go to prison for a while.

I recall reading in a newspaper an article about a guy who was sent to prison for a DUI. But it was his 18th DUI conviction and he had had his driving privileges revoked several years earlier. Finally a judge decided that fining him again was a useless exercise so he got to go to prison for a while.

That's a failure on the part of the 17 previous judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back