• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250R linked rear brake odd behavior

coachz

I've got a 2020 R1250R that seems to behave oddly at low speed braking. When only using the front brake coming to a stop the rear brake pulses hard like ABS activation. This has been consistent since day one on the bike and has been across all temps and conditions. While trying to figure this out I was even able to reproduce the behavior with the ignition on but the bike not running and just rolling gently down a slope in my driveway. Touch the brake and ABS pulsing till complete stop. ease the brake off and roll forward at all and as soon as front brake is activated the same ABS pulsing..

This is becoming more than an annoyance as I nearly dropped the bike last week as I neared a stop the pulsing threw me off enough that I was all out of sorts. I had 2018 R1200R that this bike replaced and never felt this, also had an 18 RT and nothing, Currently have a 1250RT and that too doesn't behave like this.

Anyone else noticed or experienced this? If so were you able to fix it?

THANKS!

Last edited:
It is scheduled to go to the dealer but I'm assuming the first answer will be that its normal for this generation.

I agree that is not normal and you should have the dealer look at it. My guess is that the rear wheel ABS sensor is not adjusted properly. I had something similar happen to a truck I once owned and the problem was an ABS sensor. At low speed the sensor signal would drop to zero because of the poor adjustment and the ABS system saw this as the wheel locking up, activating the system.

I've got a 2020 R1250R that seems to behave oddly at low speed braking. When only using the front brake coming to a stop the rear brake pulses hard like ABS activation. This has been consistent since day one on the bike and has been across all temps and conditions. While trying to figure this out I was even able to reproduce the behavior with the ignition on but the bike not running and just rolling gently down a slope in my driveway. Touch the brake and ABS pulsing till complete stop. ease the brake off and roll forward at all and as soon as front brake is activated the same ABS pulsing..

This is becoming more than an annoyance as I nearly dropped the bike last week as I neared a stop the pulsing threw me off enough that I was all out of sorts. I had 2018 R1200R that this bike replaced and never felt this, also had an 18 RT and nothing, Currently have a 1250RT and that too doesn't behave like this.

Anyone else noticed or experienced this? If so were you able to fix it?

THANKS!

I had a 2018 K1600B/GA which exhibited the same issues. It would pulse the front brakes every time just before the bike came to a stop. Several visits to the dealer confirmed the issue. The front rotors were exchanged to no avail. BMWNA started endless arguments with me about problem confirmation, etc.

I finally solved the problem. I sold the bike back to the dealer, since there was nothing wrong with it, according to them and bought a new 1250RT. That bike had immediate problems with the Hayes brakes (remember??). I had them changed to brand-new Brembos on my nickel and have never looked back. Not even a glimmer of a problem.
BMW eventually replaced all the Hayes, under a recall, with Brembos and reimbursed me for the entire amount.

YMMV;)

Back