• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New rear brake shoes, does it matter which shoe goes on top?

snitzler

1983 R65, new rear brake shoes and springs from EME, 34 21 2 310 523 / FERODO. One is labelled S and one is labelled D. Does it matter which is upper and which is lower? The old shoes are D top and S bottom but I don't trust anything on this bike.
thanks!

1983 R65, new rear brake shoes and springs from EME, 34 21 2 310 523 / FERODO. One is labelled S and one is labelled D. Does it matter which is upper and which is lower? The old shoes are D top and S bottom but I don't trust anything on this bike.
thanks!

Why not call or contact EME and ask them? They should be able to give you an answer immediately.

Why not call or contact EME and ask them? They should be able to give you an answer immediately.

Great idea, I emailed EME with a picture of my installation and they came back with that I did it correctly. The D shoe is on top and the S shoe is on the bottom.

IMG_9937.JPG

Not Self Energizing Brake

Good to know which shoe belongs in which position. Looking at the pic, it is obviously not a 'self energizing' design, which explains why Airheads work so poorly. They could easily have, at any point, changed it to self energizing, with minimal expense, if any. I know I am just complaining, but I will never be content with Airheads' pathetic rear brakes. I will never understand their logic in keeping this brake till the end.

Rear Shoes

I've had good luck with EBC shoes (#864 front # 860 rear) on my airheads, with everything cleaned, lubed and adjusted they feel strong but not grabby.

Rear brakes

I have a disc brake set up on my 78 RS and the drum on my R80RT. If I had my way, I would ditch the disc brake on the RS and go to a drum. I am constantly fiddling with and changing pads on the disc system not to mention the pain to bleed and change fluid. The drum system on my RT lasted 30 years with only the minor adjustment of the tension before it finally needed shoes. The mileage was well over 200K.

With a properly adjusted drum brake, I could lock the rear wheel up just as easily as the disc brake system.

Sorry, but I love the drum system and put up with the disc system, too much money and time involved to change the disc to drum. St.

Back