• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice for Touring in Hot Weather

AKsuited

Most of you already know this, but it might help some who are new to touring:

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Oe4Utc-sIk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Keeping moist and sealed up is a good strategy for very hot weather. On my ride up I-81 to the BMWMOA Vermont rally (2006?) the temps hit 102 degrees; I sealed up my Aerostich Roadcrafter to keep the heat out and kept a wet bandana around my neck.

I also added one other cooling feature. I carried a couple of gallon freezer bags and would fill these with ice at "hydration stops" about one every hour or so. I would then place the ice packs in my large chest pocket and in a lower pocket. It was like air conditioning inside my suit!
The mantra that day was "Stop, drink, pee, replace the ice!"

It also amazed me how fast HOT pavement will wear down a tire.

Acclimate to outdoors early in season

Have had buds with heat stress from not prepping their body as much they do their bike and equipment

I've used the Moto-Jug system on long hot rides. It was created by a LA Fire Department fellow. He and his wife manufacture and sell it. See: https://www.motojug.com

Here's a photo of the system mounted on the right passenger footpeg on my RT:

IMG_3457.JPG

I think that there is a world a difference in a dry climate vs a humid climate. West of the Mississippi the climate becomes quite dry. I fully agree about not using mesh in the dry climate. However, in the eastern US where it is quite humid the "swamp cooler" method will not work so well.

I have tried to cover up on the extremely hot days and I just can not do it. I tried running my rain liner under my mesh jacket , leaving the sleeves loose and unzipped a bit, but I thought I would roast.

A mesh jacket, long sleeved t-shirt and a lot of water is my go to when the temps go about 90F. if it gets really hot I will soak down my t-shirt and wear my mesh jacket. I have ridden in temps close to 120F going across South Dakota in August.

A mesh jacket, long sleeved t-shirt and a lot of water is my go to when the temps go about 90F. if it gets really hot I will soak down my t-shirt and wear my mesh jacket. I have ridden in temps close to 120F going across South Dakota in August.

Similar to my mode of riding in really hot weather; leave early before the sun rises, wear mesh riding gear, soaked long sleeve cotton turtle neck, soaked cap under the helmet and sipping water every five to ten minutes. Re-soak the riding gear every hour and a half or so. Cotton soaks and holds the water much longer than wicking clothes (and certainly reeks by the end of the day). :laugh

I recently got the long-sleeve LD Comfort shirt. I already had their shorts and short-sleeve shirts.

Anyone want to compare LD Comfort base layers with a "Hyper-Kewl" vest? I've got one of those...and didn't bring it with me to the Salt Lake City Rally: kind of dumb. Hyper-Kewl vest on top of an LD Comfort base layer shirt?

I guess one would bring a collapsible cup into a rest room to wet down shirts or vests?

I do have that hydration system with the half-gallon Coleman cooler mounted on the bike with a drink tube. I recently changed the bite valve to a right-angle bite valve to be more suitable for use with a full-face helmet.

Harry

I recently got the long-sleeve LD Comfort shirt. I already had their shorts and short-sleeve shirts.

I guess one would bring a collapsible cup into a rest room to wet down shirts or vests?Harry

I discovered that the LD Comfort shirts do not work for people like me who don't sweat (to any degree) as do most. For me, the LD Comfort shirt dramatically increases the heat and results in my becoming sleepy.

Taking a cup to a restroom to wet one's shirt; never thought of doing that. Not being shy I simply remove my shirt and soak it under the tap. :lol

Taking a cup to a restroom to wet one's shirt; never thought of doing that. Not being shy I simply remove my shirt and soak it under the tap. :lol

I bought a collapsible cup at Walmart yesterday for less than two dollars...I can carry it into a restroom in my pocket.

Harry

I bought a collapsible cup at Walmart yesterday for less than two dollars...I can carry it into a restroom in my pocket.

Harry

I must admit that putting the soaked shirt on in the rest room stop does feel "yuckie", definitely not comfortable, until one gets on the bike and starts moving. Then it is like having air conditioning for an hour or two. :thumb

The gallon jug on the foot peg, filled with ice and water, also makes the extreme heat much more bearable. :)

My collapsible cup is used when I brush my teeth.

Acclimate to outdoors early in season

Have had buds with heat stress from not prepping their body as much they do their bike and equipment

That's not always easy to do when traveling long distances. 53 degrees in northern Vermont today, the warmest it has been all week. Tomorrow I set out for the rally on a circuitous route. By the time I reach Colorado on Sunday the temp will be in the upper 80s.

Pete

Anyone want to compare LD Comfort base layers with a "Hyper-Kewl" vest? I've got one of those...and didn't bring it with me to the Salt Lake City Rally: kind of dumb. Hyper-Kewl vest on top of an LD Comfort base layer shirt?

I guess one would bring a collapsible cup into a rest room to wet down shirts or vests?

I do have that hydration system with the half-gallon Coleman cooler mounted on the bike with a drink tube. I recently changed the bite valve to a right-angle bite valve to be more suitable for use with a full-face helmet.

Harry

I take my heat out neck gaiter off, soak it, then use that like a sponge to soak the heat out long sleeve shirt. A plastic trash bag filled with 3" of water suffices to soak the heat out vest outside in the parking lot, throw it on soaking wet [ not wrung out to the point of not dripping as suggested by the makers ], then put my riding jacket on. Can got about 1-1.5 hours here in the desert heat of the summer which sometimes will reach 115F

That's not always easy to do when traveling long distances. 53 degrees in northern Vermont today, the warmest it has been all week. Tomorrow I set out for the rally on a circuitous route. By the time I reach Colorado on Sunday the temp will be in the upper 80s.

Pete

Oh I get that. I just returned from a definitely circuitous Western State ride. Day one leaving started in 70’s, then West TX/ Eastern NM desert heat, finished with snow in campsite in NM mountains. I was removing/ adding/ layers all day. Pretty much had minimal to heated liner adjustments each day and state. Desert to mountain at some point and back down or up.

I’m talking about being indoor climate controlled and then leaving on a trip without much outdoors time.

We each have cool vests in a gallon ziploc which gets water and sometimes ice at fuel stops. Most places let us fill up a big mouth sport bottle with ice and water if we buy fuel.

Using some sinks in a convenience store makes me clinch my teeth... not doing that!

We often just pour a cool water down the jacket to wet base layer while rolling thru scorched landscapes.

Hot

Riding to work and back on many summer days I wore a mesh jacket, t shirt under that carry a gallon zip lock to put shirt in and soak during hydration rest stops.Shirt will hold about 1/2 liter of liquid usually stop at rest areas, parks, and rural churches almost all of these places have a tap where you can fill your water bottle or zip lock.
Most times in very hot weather I also carry one of the plastic pump spray bottles from the dollar store, I than use that to spray the shirt, face, arms, head and any thing else that is overheated.

Back