• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150GS Won't Run

Liaison
Staff member
I got a PM from a member who needed help getting something posted. So here's what he sent to me:

37857 said:
2003 R1150GS will not crank and run. New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new injectors, new coil. Good spark, good spray pattern on cardboard test for both injectors.
Please, does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? Was running good till fuel pump died?
JC Blades

Fuel lines?

Did the in line get switched with the out line? Make sure the high idle cables are properly seated especially the right side. Go back and check all the work you did and all the places you visited on the bike. Lastly did the the old fuel pump quite working or did the bike die due to something else and someone assumed it was the fuel pump?

I'm missing something: "will not crank and run".

If it doesn't crank, wouldn't that be the place to start?

The fuel lines are correct , won't go but one way they are male and female. Did not touch the throttle cables, there's only one on each throttle body and they come to rest on the adjustable stop screw. they both together when working the throttle. Not familiar with a high idle cable? I was very careful and didn't touch any other part enough to keep it from performing. I'm 81 yrs old and don't much anymore the bike's been sitting uo I usually crank it once a month and let warm up to normal temp. I knew the fuel pump was out turned the key on and it didn't run up to pressure. So I replaced the pump and removed all the old gas, cleaned everything best I could installed new fuel filter flushed fuel lines with new gas from tank to where they connect to injectors. Starter is working good sure don't want to burn it up trying to crank. After it sits awhile it'll usually fire when if first turns over, then the starter just grinds. Nothing. Darndest thing I've ever had happened working on a bike?
Thanks for your reply.
JC Blades

Back