• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1973 R75/5 Turn Signal Lights

mpsaxon

I have a R75/5 without fuses. Last weekend I had the bike out and about mid-way through, the turn signals stopped working.

All the connections seem good and there was really nothing that happened to cause the malfunction.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and can offer suggestions.

Thanks,
Peter

Welcome to the forum, Peter! The circuit is pretty simple generally speaking. Power comes from the bike to the bulbs and the grounds are right there at the lights. So, first thing is to make sure the grounds are solid and that the bulbs are OK. With both not working, it sounds like the problem might be somewhere else. The handlebar switch is what sends the power to the bulbs, so it's possible there is some corrosion going on in the switch. Those early bat-wing type switches can be problematic to open up...haven't really had the pleasure! But if you do decide to have a look-see, best to work inside a big plastic bag because small parts and springs could go flying.

Snowbum has a non-fused /5 electrical diagram here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Slash5Schematic.jpg

If you look at the #4 item on the top, that is the right signal. Follow the wire through the connector to the switch. The switch seems to be getting power from the turn signal flasher, so maybe that has bit the dust.

Welcome to the forum, Peter! The circuit is pretty simple generally speaking. Power comes from the bike to the bulbs and the grounds are right there at the lights. So, first thing is to make sure the grounds are solid and that the bulbs are OK. With both not working, it sounds like the problem might be somewhere else. The handlebar switch is what sends the power to the bulbs, so it's possible there is some corrosion going on in the switch. Those early bat-wing type switches can be problematic to open up...haven't really had the pleasure! But if you do decide to have a look-see, best to work inside a big plastic bag because small parts and springs could go flying.

Snowbum has a non-fused /5 electrical diagram here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Slash5Schematic.jpg

If you look at the #4 item on the top, that is the right signal. Follow the wire through the connector to the switch. The switch seems to be getting power from the turn signal flasher, so maybe that has bit the dust.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Hi Peter, I have a /5, I had a few issues with my turn signals that turned out to be a bad flasher relay, it's in the headlight bucket as you may know. Also check the connections in there, could be a simple fix. I did use a generic flasher and it just didn't work right, I ended up getting one from EME - problem solved.

Chuck

I have a R75/5 without fuses. Last weekend I had the bike out and about mid-way through, the turn signals stopped working.

All the connections seem good and there was really nothing that happened to cause the malfunction.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and can offer suggestions.

Thanks,
Peter

Did both sides stop flashing? If so, check the wires going to the housings (have to remove the lenses) for 12vdc (pulsing) when the signals are activated.

Grounds can be verified by simply moving the metal housings when either side is activated. The fronts ground directly to the metal housing, through the t.s. stalks, so moving them would reveal any problems.

Rear signals have their own separate ground wires, so if the rears are attempting to flash, then you probably have ground issues at the fronts.

Did both sides stop flashing? If so, check the wires going to the housings (have to remove the lenses) for 12vdc (pulsing) when the signals are activated.

Grounds can be verified by simply moving the metal housings when either side is activated. The fronts ground directly to the metal housing, through the t.s. stalks, so moving them would reveal any problems.

Rear signals have their own separate ground wires, so if the rears are attempting to flash, then you probably have ground issues at the fronts.

All 4 stopped working. The front grounds are solid. I believe I traced the rears back to the headlamp and everything seems tight there too. Someone else mentioned replacing the flasher. I thought the lamps would still light, just not flash if the flasher didn't work. Any opinion on that?

All 4 stopped working. The front grounds are solid. I believe I traced the rears back to the headlamp and everything seems tight there too. Someone else mentioned replacing the flasher. I thought the lamps would still light, just not flash if the flasher didn't work. Any opinion on that?

I think it depends. I believe the flasher is a mechanical one, not electronic, so it essentially is a three position (center off) switch which routes power through left or right circuit. I have had two things happen, bad flasher, no lights, and bad flasher, lights on (one side only) but not flashing. Never had all lights on, not flashing. I've got a buck that says its a dead flasher.

I think it depends. I believe the flasher is a mechanical one, not electronic, so it essentially is a three position (center off) switch which routes power through left or right circuit. I have had two things happen, bad flasher, no lights, and bad flasher, lights on (one side only) but not flashing. Never had all lights on, not flashing. I've got a buck that says its a dead flasher.

The flasher worked. I used an OEM flasher and it works better than ever.

Thanks to everyone that offered help.

Back