• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1982 R65 Fuel tank question?

10drum

I have owned a couple of /5's and many Brit bikes they all had dual fuel tank taps. I have owned a few Japanese bikes and they use a crossover pipe. This R65 has a single tap without a cross over. How does it draw fuel from the other side of the tank?

It doesn't! There will be a small amount of fuel on the right side. So if you're the type who tends to run the tank dry, then you cal take the tank off and rotate it to get that last bit of fuel over to where the fuel tap is.
Also, if you follow factory service then you'll meed to do that at the interval when BMW says to drain the tank. Water settles under gasoline and may rust out the bottom if you don't drain the tank as required.

It doesn't! There will be a small amount of fuel on the right side. So if you're the type who tends to run the tank dry, then you cal take the tank off and rotate it to get that last bit of fuel over to where the fuel tap is.
Also, if you follow factory service then you'll meed to do that at the interval when BMW says to drain the tank. Water settles under gasoline and may rust out the bottom if you don't drain the tank as required.

That's what I thought. Yes, on all of my old bikes, I drain the fuel out of the fuel tank, and the carburetor bowls every fall.

Some guys will just lay the bike over in a ditch, to transfer the last of the fuel.

There are members that know more than I about specific things that can fit different Airheads, so with that said...
It’s a different bike, but a ‘83 R80ST recently purchased had a tank with the same configuration.
A fellow Airhead suggested that a 6.3 gallon R100 tank would fit the bike.
Beside that it’s larger, it has 2 petcocks.
4541EC53-700D-423B-A0FA-0FCEB648E720.jpg

There are members that know more than I about specific things that can fit different Airheads, so with that said...
It’s a different bike, but a ‘83 R80ST recently purchased had a tank with the same configuration.
A fellow Airhead suggested that a 6.3 gallon R100 tank would fit the bike.
Beside that it’s larger, it has 2 petcocks.
View attachment 83472

Keep in mind that the R80ST has all the electrics on the right side so the replacement tank will need to be a 1985 or newer.

The OP asked about a R65, there are alternatives to stock on everything.
I used to strap a quart of gas to the front number plate on a ‘72 Pursang if going for a ride other than on a track.
That was before the desert tank was fitted.
I still had to lean it over or give it a shake to get back to camp from time to time.
The possibilities are endless...

D3981586-8D9F-4A06-BF13-03159EF36EC0.jpg

Last edited:
Back