• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kontour Seat?

brianhinton

2018 Rally Chair
Does anyone have any experience with the Kontour seat? I have searched the forums and no one seems to actually answer this question (at least that I could find). I have a Corbin seat on my K75 and it is very comfy for me, but I thought this Kontour design was interesting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you look at other forums, like k-bikes.com, you will find plenty of
other comments on Kontour.

I have a Kontour re-build of both seats on my '07 K1200GT. I have
about three years and a little over 25k miles on the driver seat now
and the best compliment I can give it is that I rarely think about it.
It is that comfortable, for me. Two to three hours at a stretch, and
all-day rides (including a few saddle-sore 1000's), have been no
problem. The cover material he used is very tough. Even after three
years it shows no sign of wear. He is using a new type of material now
and I can only imagine that it's even better. The seat also can get wet
without problem and that adds to not having to worry about it.

I will definitely buy another Kontour if/when I get another bike.
It is well worth it.

Kontour seat

OK Bud....what's your report on the Kontour seat??? Inquiring minds, and tired butts want to know!!

Thanks

piperjim

I had one on my K1200LT.

I was 235# 5'9" with a 31" inseam that is not TMI just good to know for comparison.
I have lost about 30 pounds so how the seats feel will change for me.

The part that is the best is the coolness of the mesh covering.
It is firm but does break in. but I never fell in love with it.
If I lived where it gets smoking hot I would consider one. But only if I could sit on one first.

Other seats and impressions:
I have tried the corbin. way to big for me. would be ok for a 6 foot plus size guy with a larger posterior in my opinion. Not for the inseamed challenged.

Russel day long was pretty good over all did many 400 mile plus days in it.

OEM well they are designed for people with no nerve ending in their bottom end or very short trips.

I sold my LT and bought a 09 RT this spring. found a nice used Bill Mayer and that is real nice so far. even with the vinyl that has a ?mesh type pattern it is good for all day comfort. It does not get overly hot on the bottom end. Was out last Sunday 95deg and humid. 200 mile day. It was fine.

I did buy a new Bill Meyer for the rear seat on my LT and Bill was a real pleasure to work with. I would buy from him again if I were to buy new. FWIW

I have the "magnum".. by Kontour..

it fixed my LT. one heckuva seat! I find myself never thinking of it during rides!!!

I have the "magnum".. by Kontour..

it fixed my LT. one heckuva seat! I find myself never thinking of it during rides!!!

I came very close to getting the magnum, but just sent mine off for a Russell instead. I heard a few complaints about the Kontour that people had with the company after they had a problem with fit. The base price seemed fair for the Kontour, but just having the back seat recovered was really high. Hope I made the right choice:brow

Don't own a Kontour.

Looking at the design there seems to be only 1 obvious issue- getting it dry fast after it gets soaked. I suspect if its really wet it will take a lot longer than a few swipes on leather or vinyl before it gets dry. How it compares to a bead rider sitting on something else or to a sheepskin would be speculation- my guess is that it would fall in the middle of those. And of course on could always simply get a wet butt or put on the rain pants...

Won't matter much if you don't ride on wet days, live in southern AZ, etc...

Back