• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire pressure sensor replacement cost.

My 2008 R1200R tire pressure sensors battery's are getting weak and failing, what should I expect to pay at a dealer to have them changed out.
I have a complete tire removal shop and can change them myself but I have no way of updating the on board system after installing them. I do not
mind paying 3 to 4 hundred dollars to have them replaced at a authorized dealer but that is my limit. So can I replace them myself and them take it to a dealer
to activate them and save money. I am 71 years old and not rich.
Please advise
Thanks Raleigh Conquest Lebanon TN
PS will travel to save money.

Welcome to the forum.
The rear sensor costs $234 and the front is $222.
The dealer may not charge much to activate them but it would be best to call and ask.
If you know someone with a GS911 they may be able to activate them.

I had to bring my bike to the dealer to hook up the service computer to recognize the TPS after replacing the batteries on the TPS units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh since you have your own tire changer, I would suggest YouTubing TPM battery change, 90 minutes labor will probably save you 3-400 dollars(price of a set of tires)

I had to bring my bike to the dealer to hook up the service computer to recognize the TPS after replacing the batteries on the TPS units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard (second hand) that it will reset once you get the bike up and going over 30 mph, or you can reset it with a GS911. I haven't done this myself so FWIW.

I have heard (second hand) that it will reset once you get the bike up and going over 30 mph, or you can reset it with a GS911. I haven't done this myself so FWIW.

I have changed three sets in the last year and have not had luck with either.
The new sensors are recognized, but will not activate with rapid air loss method with GS911.

Last edited:
When I acquired my current 2009 R1200RT one of the things it lacked compared to the previous one was TPMS (RDC in BMW language).

I happen to use a Garmin 395LM GPS the bike; Garmin makes tire pressure transmitters that replace the valve caps.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744

They are compatible with the Garmin 390LM/590LM-series motorcycle GPS units; I think I paid $120 for a pair after some online shopping.

You can set the pressure range limits on the GPS unit for alarms.

Setup was easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Several people have had good luck removing the potting in the center of the unit and replacing the old battery with a new CR2032 battery with solder tabs. Repot it with hot melt glue or epoxy. $10 plus your time. The computer seems to reset on its own.

I just love this. Even if it doesn't/didn't work, I admire the I WILL DO THIS MYSELF attitude. What's the worst that happen? - you wind up going to the dealer/independent and paying the pro. :)

I just love this. Even if it doesn't/didn't work, I admire the I WILL DO THIS MYSELF attitude. What's the worst that happen? - you wind up going to the dealer/independent and paying the pro. :)

These sensors live in a very severe environment. Vibration, bigger hits, temperature extremes, etc.

It could very well be that the life of the rest of the components is about finished near the same time the battery is expended.

In any event, the harsh environment precludes an easily changed battery ... it needs to be and is fairly permanently mounted.

No automotive manufacturer anywhere has authorized or provided technician training for changing the batteries. This is, after all, a safety system.

I'm fairly certain wheel rim mounted sensors and am more sure the spoke mounted sensors do not correspond to anything used elsewhere ... that is, not much aftermarket.

Upon reflection, I recognize the merit of Kent's observations. He is correct: tinkering with "safety" technology is attended by some risk. But in this case, my risk analysis includes consideration of what BMW charges to replace TPM sensors. $400+ so a computer scold can alert me to a tire losing air pressure makes me nostalgic for the simplicity of my /6 and /7 bikes. Fortunately, the replacement interval for TPM sensors is infrequent. During their expected lifespan, I will spend more on brake fluid flushing every two years.

I tend to look at things like TPMS with a less appreciative view than some people. This is the first bike I've had with TPMS and with the exception of my wife's new Prius, it is the only vehicle I've owned in my life with TPMS. An accurate tire pressure gauge has always been something I've valued. And being able to get down on the floor to check my tire pressure is still something I can handle. ;)

But I can appreciate the value of TPMS. And I'll probably appreciate it far more as I get older yet. While my tire pressure gauge will still stay accurate if I can keep it from being abused...my knees and hips may value TPMS far more in coming years.

On the other hand, I tend to look at the cost of parts and ask why? The TPMS system BMW sells isn't that much different in technology or reliability than that offered by other companies. Just a quick 30 second search on Amazon shows me that I can get an AC Delco sensor for $17. Earlier in this thread it says that if I get one of the AC Delco sensors that transmits on a particular frequency...it is compatible with the TPMS used by BMW.

So what causes the high cost of the BMW sensor? Could it be the letters "BMW"? "Bring More Wallet"?

Chris

I agree with Chris, I can appreciate it, but didn't want it or need it. The 10x markup is what gets me really infuriated. I understand business markups, appreciate profit and want business's to make a profit, after all that's where good wages, benefits, and research money comes from, but there is a limit to my understanding. Their is NOTHING special about these sensors to justify their cost, BMW sure didn't invent them nor do they manufacture them, so give us a little break please.

Paying $60 to $120 per year for 5-10 years use of a TPMS sensor until it fails from the depletion of a $2 CR2032 cell is crazy. Declaring it a safety feature does not erase this. Suggesting that everything else in the sensor was about to die anyway is conjecture. TPMS was mandated in "light vehicles" by the TREAD Act which was formulated in response to multiple fatalities with Ford Explorers running underinflated Firestone tires. It was not mandated to motorcycles or trucks over 10,000 lbs. gross. Singing the safety song, the NHTSA rules that a dealer or repair shop may not return a vehicle to the customer if the "safety system" has been rendered inoperable. Then dealers, even some motorcycle dealers, either smelling profit or claiming fear of a $10,000 fine tell the customer that they are "required by law" to fix inoperative sensors when found. This is regardless of the fact that the TREAD Act does not apply to motorcycles and even though the NHTSA has ruled that if the sensors were "inoperable when presented" that returning the vehicle would not be considered rendering them inoperable. The dealer needs only to confirm and document that the system was "inoperable when presented" to avoid the fine. Since there is no aftermarket replacement that works with the BMW electronics, that will be about $600 including breaking down and re-fitting both tires. BMW says their sensors are good to 187 miles per hour. I'd hate to use an Amazon replacement and have it quit working at 160 miles per hour just as I ran over a nail.

And all of this costs less than brake fluid flushes? What is the limit of a BMW rider's sense of humor? This is already way past mine, so I do not have TPMS and do my own brake fluid flushes for a couple of bucks with a GS911 and some DOT4 from the local auto parts store. How did we escape death on these things before the advent of ABS, TPMS, ASC , and DTC? The old slash 5 looks more like genius with each passing year.

Last edited:
It seems this thread has veered away from the original question about replacing or repairing the OEM sensor.
I'll add my 2 cents regarding the "value" of TPMS. For me, I have found it's greatest value in those cases where a nail or other debris has caused a slow leak. I have had more than one ride where a glance at the TPMS or at a bathroom stop I noted a drop in tire pressure where it should not be. When I'm underway my tire pressures will rise to 43/44 or 44/45. If I see 43/40, I know that my rear tire is losing air way before it's low enough to affect handling. With that kind of warning, I can examine the tire and repair it, or air it back up and return home if close enough. I still use a gauge in the garage to check.

It seems this thread has veered away from the original question about replacing or repairing the OEM sensor.
I'll add my 2 cents regarding the "value" of TPMS. For me, I have found it's greatest value in those cases where a nail or other debris has caused a slow leak. I have had more than one ride where a glance at the TPMS or at a bathroom stop I noted a drop in tire pressure where it should not be. When I'm underway my tire pressures will rise to 43/44 or 44/45. If I see 43/40, I know that my rear tire is losing air way before it's low enough to affect handling. With that kind of warning, I can examine the tire and repair it, or air it back up and return home if close enough. I still use a gauge in the garage to check.

:thumb

It is the "alarm" abilities that make TPMS valuable. Noticing abnormal numbers, or having the system actually go into alarm mode provides warning you will not get with a tire pressure gauge.

:thumb

It is the "alarm" abilities that make TPMS valuable. Noticing abnormal numbers, or having the system actually go into alarm mode provides warning you will not get with a tire pressure gauge.

I agree. I don't use TPM as a replacement for a tire gauge, I want it for the alarm or warning while riding.
The BMW sensors are overpriced compared to the ones in our Chevys, but I'm happy to have them.

I agree with Chris, I can appreciate it, but didn't want it or need it. The 10x markup is what gets me really infuriated. I understand business markups, appreciate profit and want business's to make a profit, after all that's where good wages, benefits, and research money comes from, but there is a limit to my understanding. Their is NOTHING special about these sensors to justify their cost, BMW sure didn't invent them nor do they manufacture them, so give us a little break please.

There IS FOR SURE something quite special about these sensors ... they are for motorcycles. While they may be similar technology, the end configuration is motorcycle specific.

Basic Econ 101 describes economies of scale, and the number of BMW motorcycles with these versus cars or even other motorcycle brands is miniscule. They are rare and that equals expensive. Motorcycle tires cost more than the average car tire as well and if they are to be safe they won't last very long. Same economics. Motorcycling is an expensive hobby and there's no entitlement that it be cheap.

As far as I'm concerned these sensors are priceless, as I received a red triangle warning while high speed riding across rural Indiana and that was the first indication I had a problem ... I expected anything but a tire when I saw it--had to stop to investigate, as the dash on my Camhead is basically unreadable while riding. Conveniently happened coming in to a small town and by the time I would have had a handling indication I'd have been beside the road between towns, hopefully at least uninjured. The value of these things has in comparison zero/zip/nada to do with replacing a tire pressure gauge. It's the warning.

Another version of "tilting at windmills" is stating one doesn't need it. In the 21st century if a safety feature exists, a manufacturer CANNOT not put it on the vehicle. Note how ABS is standard. You could go all the way back to Watergate (and earlier) on this one: "what did they know and when did they know it?" Those that can afford a new BMW can afford a good lawyer.

There IS FOR SURE something quite special about these sensors ... they are for motorcycles. While they may be similar technology, the end configuration is motorcycle specific...

The TPMS sensors for Garmin Zumo GPS's are made for motorcycle use. Cost is $64.

Back