• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Packing for a camping trip

1hpyrider

I just completed my first motorcycle camping trip on my GSA. I've only had the bike for one month so I'm still learning about this subject. I suspect I over packed as in keeping with the boy scout motto, "Be prepared". Everything having to do with the tent went into one Seal Line waterproof bag. Clothes in another waterproof bag both strapped one on top of the other. Stuff for preparing food went into my left side case and riding gear went into the other. The bike felt very heavy in slow maneuvers. All my camping gear is what a back packer would use for hiking.
Your input is appreciated. Are you motorcycle campers minimum or maximum campers?

I just completed my first motorcycle camping trip on my GSA. I've only had the bike for one month so I'm still learning about this subject. I suspect I over packed as in keeping with the boy scout motto, "Be prepared". Everything having to do with the tent went into one Seal Line waterproof bag. Clothes in another waterproof bag both strapped one on top of the other. Stuff for preparing food went into my left side case and riding gear went into the other. The bike felt very heavy in slow maneuvers. All my camping gear is what a back packer would use for hiking.
Your input is appreciated. Are you motorcycle campers minimum or maximum campers?

Do it a few more times and then identify what you didn't use, or at least didn't need to use. Omit that stuff. And if you find that you needed something you didn't have, add that.

Did you adjust your suspension for passenger and gear? Even when solo I always set the bike up for at least two up depending on what I pack.
Which brings me to packing. Pack only the essentials, stuff you need not want. It is always easier to stop at an outdoor store and pick up what you forgot/need.
Lay out all your gear in the living room and organize it by function. I.E tent, pegs, poles and footprint, cooking system; stove, fuel pots, utensils etc. same with clothing etc.
You’ll be amazed what you end up bringing, or not...:D

Did you adjust your suspension for passenger and gear? Even when solo I always set the bike up for at least two up depending on what I pack.
Which brings me to packing. Pack only the essentials, stuff you need not want. It is always easier to stop at an outdoor store and pick up what you forgot/need.
Lay out all your gear in the living room and organize it by function. I.E tent, pegs, poles and footprint, cooking system; stove, fuel pots, utensils etc. same with clothing etc.

I'm going to give your suggestions a try. I just threw things in I thought I would need for a five day trip. Live and learn:dunno

After your trip, repeat this exercise. Note what you used. and -- more importantly -- what you didn't use. Figure out why you didn't use an item. Rain gear, but no rain? Keep it in the list, it will rain sometime while you're traveling. Dress slacks? Leave them home (unless you're heading for a wedding!) You get the idea. It won't take many trips to get your list to the optimum for you.

Enjoy the adventure!

After your trip, repeat this exercise. Note what you used. and -- more importantly -- what you didn't use. Figure out why you didn't use an item. Rain gear, but no rain? Keep it in the list, it will rain sometime while you're traveling. Dress slacks? Leave them home (unless you're heading for a wedding!) You get the idea. It won't take many trips to get your list to the optimum for you.

Enjoy the adventure!
Thank you for your input. I went from Vestavia Hills, Al to Nashville, onto to the Natchez Trace, then back home. It was a great first time camping adventure. Rode in the rain 3 out of the last 4 days on the trip. Need that rain gear.:wave

Here are a few thoughts on camping in addition to the excellent input you've already received:

1. Whenever possible, try to make sure anything you pack can serve more than one purpose. For example, for a pair of pants to wear around the campground, have the kind with zip off legs that can also serve as shorts. Mid-layer for riding...use it as a layer around the campground as well. Waterproof bag for your sleeping bag...flatten it and use it for stepping out of your tent to put boots/shoes on rather than stepping in the dirt.

2. Cooking...I will typically stop mid-afternoon and buy my groceries for cooking that evening (also, try to find a nice local micro beer for the evenings refreshment). I also carry a couple of the freeze dried meals just in case my route doesn't bring me to a place with a grocery store. You have to really check labels on freeze dried meals...many of them have ridiculous amounts of sodium and are most unhealthy. I carry a small, collapsable cooler to put my beer/groceries on ice until I get to the campground for the evening.

3. I really have great luck with U.S. Forest Service campgrounds. Typically well cared for and in beautiful locations...also can't beat the price as a senior!

In addition to the other suggestions I always try to keep the heavier stuff low and forward. How you load the bike can have as much impact as weight.

Great advice

Thanks everyone for your great input. All stored in my memory extender, (note section of phone). Already planning the next trip. Thanks again.

You can go pretty deep down this rabbit hole. The previous posts all have sensible insight without getting into random offshoots like the tent vs hammock debates or the Kermit chair vs anything else debates.

Personally I like to carry a chair for extended rides so I always have a comfy spot to sit and drink my micro brews. And on that note my favourite is the Kermit chair, a very good piece of kit.

If you have a few days to get l lost and confused drop in on this thread
https://advrider.com/f/threads/lets-see-a-picture-of-your-camping-setup-and-how-it-all-fits-on-your-bike-please.237723/

The three things I always carry and hope not to use are: 1st Aid Kit, Tools, Tire Repair stuff. I do not omit these just because I didn't use them. :)

The three things I always carry and hope not to use are: 1st Aid Kit, Tools, Tire Repair stuff. I do not omit these just because I didn't use them. :)

As well...hoping if you have it, perhaps it will prevent such incidents needing them. New First Aid kit every couple seasons also.

When I'm not going on a trip, the GS sits with panniers weighing 60#'s total [ including the Vario cases weight ]. When I did 8K miles in 3 weeks to Ak. the two dry bags weighed 63#'s, for a grand total of 123#'s. I took things I didn't use, and could care less I didn't use them, the same items will go with me the next trip as well.

38# in one dry bag was just camping gear. The other was clothes and spare parts and 2 qts of oil etc.

If you've got the room, why skimp on something you might need and not have it when you do. Forethought goes a long way while on the road.

Pack for a bicycle and take it on a motorcycle. No overloading.

I'm unlikely to travel 8K miles on a bicycle as I did on the M/C.. My panniers weigh more than what someone would carry for gear on a bicycle, and using that idea, the bicycle would be overloaded with just the empty panniers.

If your m/c can't haul the gear [ all 125#'s of it, time for a different m/c. It would suggest your m/c couldn't even handle a passenger riding 2 up who would weigh more than the total weight on an 8K mile trip.

Camping gear

I'm guilty of overdoing everything. I tend to pack for what I must have and for what might be. If a plan calls for a 2x4 I'll use a 2x6. Not only what to pack but how to pack it on the bike is another issue. On my last and first trip, I had handling issues at slow speeds. At the first opportunity for a stop, I moved the gear I had packed forward some, and the handling really improved. It is these little things I learned from trying. This forum is very valuable to me in learning from other's ideas and mistakes. Keep um coming.:wave

Back