• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help wanted 2007 r1200gs abs problem

the-oz-slider
Hello All,
I have been a member of the MOA for a few years, and have owned BMW's on and off for 30+ years. I now have my son involved, and he rides an '04 R1100S, which sadly recently experienced a rear drive failure at about 12,000 miles...........

My problem now is that I have an apparent electrical problem with my generation II ABS that is just driving me nuts, and I need help.
In simple terms the ABS lights are coming on and the brake failure light remains lit at all times. The prior owner advised me that the bike had an electrical problem with the ABS and that it had been worked on by a BMW dealer in Pennsylvania and they had advised him that the wiring harness was faulty and should be replaced.

Well in even simpler terms I cant afford $1800+ if I dont know that that is 100% the cause of the problem, so I started searching for solutions. It turns out that the white plastic connector that goes into the ABS unit has been worked on and all the tiny little female pins that fit within the plastic connector were corroded and/or damaged from much work in and around the area. I checked all the usual places for parts and to my dismay BMW doesnt list the plastic connector or the pins as being available, or even existing. I went to a BMW car dealer and they actually had the little female pins in stock, but I'm finding that the plastic connector is sufficiently stuffed that I want a new one if I can find one out there in BMW world.

My rationale for all this is that there is no point in me trying to fix my ABS problem if the electrical issues are at all doubtful. The bike has a new battery, new and correct brake fluids, dial-gauged checking of the ABS rings to ensure they were not warped, cleaned brake switches, removed hand-guards

I have tried the usual BMW wreckers to no avail. I am also advised that the wiring harness for all models from 2006 onwards is/are all the same. I even had another owner who had a similar problem offer me a 2004 harness, but the critical ABS plug was entirely different, so of no use to me unfortunately.

So I'm appealing to anyone who may have had the same problem and can offer me a solution that does'nt involve completely rewiring and reorganising the ABS connections, because I really would like the wiring system to remain stock. If anyone has a damaged harness that I could purchase the ABS connections from, or knows where to get the plastic connector [I have the female pins] I would appreciate direction and advice..........

Our extremely short riding season is about to start and I dont want to be left behind, so any help would be appreciated..........
'the Oz slider"

Help wanted

Oh, and I forgot, does anyone have a paper copy of the wiring diagram for the ABS electrical harness that I could acquire/buy?
the-Oz-slider

Back