• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1 oil/water pump rebuild

E.L. Buff

my 1990 K1 has oil drip from weep hole under water pump anyone have a parts list or know of a rebuild kit ?
thanks Ernie

From an older post within the ones in the Similar Threads pane below, I figured I'd check Motobins. They show an oil/water pump repair kit...currently shows under 30 British pounds. So, there appears to be sources out there. :thumb

https://www.motobins.co.uk/

I rebuild them, and usually have all of the parts in stock. There are a few special tools that greatly simplify the process, so it's not a great DIY project.

It seems like every 80's vintage K I owned would leak coolant, usually within a year of my buying it (used). I did a lot of oil/water pump rebuilds, back when BMW sold a kit. Did them with no special tools as I recall.
When I moved up to 90's vintage K11s, the first rebuild I did failed, as it continued to leak. At that point I switched to buying used pumps instead of rebuilding. Never went back.

Get the upgraded parts compared to my orig. 85 K100RS pump.

My 85 K100RS had an old "style" shaft that I upgraded with the rebuild. The old shaft used a nut onto a stepped down shaft, well the step down cracked, loose at first, and oil and water mixed. The upgrade used a bolt into a tapped hole that will last a lot longer.

After a lot of review this summer, I determined that this particular job is best left to a professional. I was able to take the water pump out of the bike, take it to the dealer, and have them put in new seals. The cost associated was on par with me buying a kit, doing a botched job, then having to install yet another kit :) (Plus it's under warranty for a while, in case they also messed up)

Buy your dealer a drink. Or drop his name to promote his business.
There are few remaining who will undertake a rebuild, instead of simply installing a new unit.

Back