• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 Models

If you look around a little there's a bike out there to please just about anyone. Just don't expect BMW to be making all of them:laugh

BMW fascination with Technology

I think BMW at times tries a bit too hard to bring advanced technology to its vehicles, along the lines of the old saw about "the answer to a question no one asked." It's been that way for a while, and it has appeared to work for the corporation, as they are selling a whole bunch of motorcycles!
The undisputed good news here is that BMW is among the best at supporting its products (failed final drives not withstanding). I can get all the parts I need for my old airhead. Decades after its manufacturer I'm able to keep it in good, reliable condition and suitable for touring to whatever destination I choose. Can that be said for many other motorcycle manufacturers?
If the many bells and whistles of new bikes doesn't appeal to you, why not ride an old one? One that doesn't go so fast, stop so well and beats you up on rough roads, but one that you can understand and fix with the tools under the saddle? :scratch

I've got (yet another) severe case of deja vu.

Geez, these "technology" threads are becoming as frequent as oil threads once were. :laugh

I'm going to agree with Post #41.

If you look around a little there's a bike out there to please just about anyone. Just don't expect BMW to be making all of them:laugh

I would like to have another BMW but they stopped making a bike for those of us with a short inseam. Therefore, if I bought a new motorcycle, it would have to be something else. I just saw an American made motorcycle that might fit me. It is an Indian Scout. Low, light and powerful. http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/scout-indian-red

I've got (yet another) severe case of deja vu.

Geez, these "technology" threads are becoming as frequent as oil threads once were. :laugh

I'm going to agree with Post #41.
Haha I agree. BTW what oil do you guys recommend to lube the pivots on my Touratech GPS locking mount?

My local BMW dealer has several RT's they can not sell because of technology that does not work. I think technology is great,if you want it get it. Although when the price lists them as options,you should be able not to buy the options you do not want! A riding buddy of mine rode his GS to the MOA Rally last year, well almost, the GS's alternator went south. He was stuck none to be had in the U.S. and none in Germany. His bike was shipped home and he rented a car to go to the rally. Technology without support or choice is sad.
so easily defeated? Beemerboneyard, Euro Motoelectrics have new spares, and any local rotating electrical rebuilder should be able to fix a common Bosch alternator.

Maybe none the dealer wanted to sell, but there were parts here.

Rod

BMW maybe needs to have a line of bikes without all the latest and greatest gizmos for those of us that don't want it, and don't make 200K a year. Right alongside its present lineup. Kind of like the two tier brands Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus etc in autos.

I want a comfortable, reliable machine without the bells and whistles where the replacement parts don't cost 2K. To get that, I had to leave BMW and go to Honda, which has turned out very well for me.

BMW maybe needs to have a line of bikes without all the latest and greatest gizmos for those of us that don't want it, and don't make 200K a year. Right alongside its present lineup. Kind of like the two tier brands Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus etc in autos.

I want a comfortable, reliable machine without the bells and whistles where the replacement parts don't cost 2K. To get that, I had to leave BMW and go to Honda, which has turned out very well for me.

And yet your still posting here. Kind of odd!

And yet your still posting here. Kind of odd!

Isn't it. I find BMW bashing quite prevelent on other "BMW" boards. Just move on and carp on your new manufactures site.
Doesn't matter what you ride.....especially as things change. Many have more than one bike and that bike may be a different brand. Some may only have one bike-
Overloaded%20Motorcycle%20-%2012.jpg

The forum is here for all to enjoy.
OM

Full Definition of FORUM (Merriam-Webster)

a: the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business

b: a public meeting place for open discussion

c: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

a judicial body or assembly : court

a: a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion

b: a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

Personally, I'm more interested in opinions that differ from mine, than agree.

I put 33K on a Honda ST1300, great bike. If they ever update the ST, I think I will get another one. Really, you just can't beat a Honda !

Very nice. Telling someone they can leave. Who made you two the forum membership committee?

First, I didn't tell him to leave. I have had many different brands in my garage. When I no longer have one I don't hang around on the old site with pearls of wisdom which for the most part are trolling. Perhaps some should try getting a life.

BMW knows that you DON'T have to make your $200k salary. Take a look @ their ads catering to the "you don't need any $money$ $honey$ crowd. You are directed by the ad to buy now, pay little, then trade it in, rather than pay for it-or you can buy & keep.
I just read a rather lengthy article in the news Sunday , r.e., the statistics on the number of people in USA that are either behind on payments (and unable to keep up in a high % of cases also mentioned) or in foreclosure. Like most of you I'd heard about or knew someone that had a ridiculous number of credit cards(I've known of over 30! held by a person my wife worked with) but I had no idea that over a 1/3 of our society was in arrears.
Thus BMW is on to a way to make it even worse for some people-as their toy habits crush their financial health.
I don't see BMW or any other MC mfg going the "two tiers" or "work truck" route either, with what is a play toy.:brow
An e.g. of a way some mfg's have "spread it around" is the UTV we own from Kawasaki, our 610 4x4 Mule,meanwhile they build some cool bikes too.
As I pay my dues I'm hoping I can say that here? (w/o condemnation?) :D
One step in a BMW car showroom makes me think I belong on another planet.Those are the same company that builds this MC.
For foggies like me the vintage MC's are the "it fix" you mention above-affordable, less crap attached and still adrenaline machines at that!:clap:clap

First, I didn't tell him to leave. I have had many different brands in my garage. When I no longer have one I don't hang around on the old site with pearls of wisdom which for the most part are trolling. Perhaps some should try getting a life.

Um, it wasn't "him", it was ME.

Instead of telling fellow forum members to get a life, Maybe you should try and change your life. You know, be a little nicer, a little more tolerant of other poster's opinions. Not everyone that disagrees with you is a troll. I've been a member here a long time, owned maybe 10 BMWs. Just because BMW and I parted ways recently, doesn't mean I hate BMWs, I just feel they are not where I'm at in my life right now. I still enjoy talking to and riding with the people I met here and on the road. I belong to two BMW riding clubs and neither of them cares that I ride a Honda right now, so why should you? If things change, and I see a model I like, I'm sure I'd be back as an owner. I still support the MOA in their endeavors and the Foundation. Just because I said something nice about Honda doesn't make me a hater or a troll.

I no longer have a BMW but I still hang around for several reasons. When I was younger, riding tall bikes with a short inseam was not a big problem. However, as I have aged, the difficulty of riding a BMW with a short inseam has become greater and I didn't feel comfortable enough to buy another BMW after they abandoned (with the dropping of the C and CLC) me. However, most of my riding buddies still ride BMWs, I go to BMW rallys when they are within 500 miles of me (went to the RA this year) and I still like BMWs. If BMW ever makes a bike I am comfortable riding, I hope to return to the fold but my hopes are dimming. The new Indian Scout looks like they are targeting me with a 100 HP bike that has a seat height of under 26" and a weight of around 550 pounds full of gas.

I put 33K on a Honda ST1300, great bike. If they ever update the ST, I think I will get another one. Really, you just can't beat a Honda !

OK, I'm weighing in with an opinion.

I mostly rode Japanese brands (Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha) for years before I bought my current BMW (my first European bike). I like Hondas also and my experience with all Japanese bikes was great as I had zero problems for years and miles. However--and here comes the rationale for switching--I have evolved toward smaller bikes as the years and miles piled up on my body. I wanted/needed a smaller, lighter weight ride and I also had two non-negotiable requirements for that new ride: ABS brakes and a final drive of something other than chain (did I mention how much I hate chain drives?). Care to guess how many motorcycles I found that met all three of my personal demands (500 lbs or less, ABS and non-chain drive)? Yep, I bought that one bike.

I am entirely satisfied with the BMW, but had Honda made a comparable m/c I would likely have bought it instead of venturing off to an unfamiliar brand (BMW).

All of the replays have merit. What it boils down to.... I want a BMW that weighs no more than 500 pounds, has a conventional swing arm and shaft drive, ABS, 100 hp, 80 pound feet of torque, two air and oil cooled cylinders, basic fuel injection without all the fancy mapping, heated grips, hydraulic valves, tubeless tires, NO electric windshield, 6 gallon fuel tank, NO ESA, NO traction control, wet clutch, external fuel filter and pump, NO full coverage plastic, choice of touring and a sport windshields that actually work, 3 year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty, no seat as the stock seats are a waist of my money (I will furnish my own), simple basic headlight, and knowledgable sales people just like the folks at Eurosport in Asheville. Is this too much to ask for? Or do the manufacturers continue the horsepower, gadget, and electronic war until it kills the pleasure of actually enjoying the ride and maintaining ones own machine? Honda may be on to something with their new line of simpler bikes that BTW have hydraulic valves with no maintenance, limited horsepower, and a reasonable cost to own. I love my GS but please stop with all the latest and greatest crap.

Back