• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 Models

My local BMW dealer has several RT's they can not sell because of technology that does not work. I think technology is great,if you want it get it. Although when the price lists them as options,you should be able not to buy the options you do not want! A riding buddy of mine rode his GS to the MOA Rally last year, well almost, the GS's alternator went south. He was stuck none to be had in the U.S. and none in Germany. His bike was shipped home and he rented a car to go to the rally. Technology without support or choice is sad.

My local BMW dealer has several RT's they can not sell because of technology that does not work. I think technology is great,if you want it get it. Although when the price lists them as options,you should be able not to buy the options you do not want! A riding buddy of mine rode his GS to the MOA Rally last year, well almost, the GS's alternator went south. He was stuck none to be had in the U.S. and none in Germany. His bike was shipped home and he rented a car to go to the rally. Technology without support or choice is sad.

That is...if you call a metal rod "technology". I believe the defect is a shock piston rod, not anything you might refer to as "high", "fancy" or "technology for the sake of technology". You can buy what you want...order the bike you desire with options you prefer...don't have to have ESA, if you don't want it.

Electronic ignition was a functional innovation that offered stronger, more accurate spark, and greater reliability over the primitive contact points it replaced. I'd classify BMW's electronic key fobs along with an innovation such as servo brakes, but thankfully this one's an option. Most of us are accustomed with carrying fobs around for their cars so I'm sure many will just check the option box and it will be deemed a success by BMW marketing.

I agree about whether the key fob is a really a needed accessory, but I 'll bet it will come as a part of an option package, rather than a stand alone option.

..... It's nice to be able to operate everything without using a key.. ........
Around here :banghead drivers are embracing the whole key-less, push-button on the dash how to get your car started revolution that has now come full circle from the early days of 4-wheels.
They are having a hard time getting adjusted to turning off their cars when they arrive at their destination :banghead This results in cars sitting in parking lots running and garages filled with carbon monoxide.
There are drawbacks to this new fangled technology :)
OM

Around here :banghead drivers are embracing the whole key-less, push-button on the dash how to get your car started revolution that has now come full circle from the early days of 4-wheels.
They are having a hard time getting adjusted to turning off their cars when they arrive at their destination :banghead This results in cars sitting in parking lots running and garages filled with carbon monoxide.
There are drawbacks to this new fangled technology :)
OM

My car makes a loud whistling sound if I walk off with the engine running. It starts when the fob is 2' or more from the car but will quit if I keep walking. Its would be difficult to accidentally leave the car running unless you are totally deaf.

Back to motorcycles...I understand from BMW's ads, that the 2015 bikes are going to be - UNSTOPPABLE!!! There you have it in print...I'm sitting on my 2014 R1200RT reading the ad right now....I've converted the bike to a chair in my garage, since it shouldn't be ridden. So don't worry about future reliability...actually, worry about the NOW reliability. As a BMW Rep once told me, during the failed antenna ring debacle, it will take a year or so for people to forget about this, but all will be well. Can't beat that philosophy.

Motodan, Maybe you can get what you want in the Midwest, but in the southeast, I was told no by two BMW dealers. The only electronics I wanted was heated grips. No on board computer,ESA etc.

Motodan, Maybe you can get what you want in the Midwest, but in the southeast, I was told no by two BMW dealers. The only electronics I wanted was heated grips. No on board computer,ESA etc.

I can tell you...BMW's ordering matrix allows cafeteria system options during a build. On the new 2014 RT's OBC (on board computers) are standard. However, ESA can be deleted as well as heated seats, central locking and any other number of options if they aren't desired...that is nationwide and globally to one degree or another. What makes this difficult for some dealers is they do not or do not wish to read their BMW bulletins explaining how the ordering system works. Many dealers let their allotted units go to status 150 without modifying them...either as a spec ordered unit or as a specific order from a customer like you. If you order you have to wait for the unit to be built, but a 60 day wait for what you want can be worth it...and cheaper in many cases (less options). Check with more dealers. Here's the matrix in short form...see the option rules and individual options available. Note the Base bike equipment and the Standard package. These bikes can be ordered....nationwide and a 2015 can be ordered right now, by dealers who care to EARN your business:

http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bmw_r1200rt_info.htm

Last edited:

Then don't buy in the south east. I live in atlanta and have bought my last 9 BMW's in chicago. They order what I want and charge less.
You are the CUSTOMER! Therefore, you are in charge.

Even In Canada...

Yep I am an older rider. I just want something a bit less complicated to make me feel a bit better when I am hundreds of miles from a BMW dealer camping in the mountains. The progress BMW is making with their bikes is really cool but where are you gonna find a final drive in Mongolia, an injector body in Peru, a ring antenna in the Yukon, an anti lock brake pump in Zambia, an ESA rear shock in Ukraine, a fuel pump in central Australia, or maybe a driveshaft in Vietnam? I love my GS but I see where BMW seems to be going with all the "progress". Bikes for people who buy the new model every year and don't ride the things to the ends of the earth like the reputation BMW built with quality well built easily repaired machinery of an earlier time in their near past. Just my 2cts worth from observing the recalls and level of longevity that I see based on my opinions and knowledge of the marque. Later...I'm going for a ride on my GS....yep I've got the AAA roadside assistance card in my wallet. Cheers.

BMW dealers are not very frequent. Yet, my bike is running flawlessly, as I would expect. Warranty is almost over, but the few problems have been resolved near home, thankfully. At 26,000 km, I would not worry about my car, and should not have to worry about my bike. Not a stressed engine in my RT, and it just sips gas at 4000 rpm...

I'm on a 10,000 km trip and not worried about reliability. It's an adventure.

This is the second such trip with this bike. It's a joy, really. Can't fault it.

You make very valid points. At the same time, the world has gotten much smaller in the last 20 years. I would venture a guess that many of the parts you speak of would be available in 2-3 days anywhere in the world. Not that I want to test my theory but Fedex is a wonderful thing. :D

Hope you had a great ride. :thumb

If that's the case, why are K1600 owners waiting for 4 or more weeks to get parts for their bikes?

Rick

Not sure what the issue is with progress. I get the feeling that many older riders don't like change but that many younger riders appreciate the new features. Since 2003 I've had cars that started without the use of a key. I love it. Would I like it on my bike? You bet!

As the demographic for the typical BMW rider continues to evolve, expect more change. Its part of life.

:rocker Dang that electric starter button!!!

Amusing rant here. Most reliable bike I've ever owned was a 198x Suzuki GS1100GK tourer. Simple, reliable and easy to work on.

Back