• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

changing my r12r oil (20w50).

f14rio

book says it takes 4.0 liters. got bmw sae 20w-50 oil delivered.
i guess its dyno.

guess what.........it comes in quart containers (.946 liter) of which i got 4.

so now i gotta get another,

(1.0-.946=.054 liter) x 4 = .216 liter (3.4 oz)

to fill it up properly with a filter change.

what a PITA.

i have some never used bmw sae 10w40 api sg sg left over from my '87 r80.

anybody see a problem adding 3.4 oz of that?

how about mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic?

thx.
ed

8000531233_509f0e9e0a.jpg

Last edited:
4qts will put it very close and most likely to the red dot in window.
Wouldn't worry about small amount difference...

And as far as topping up with other oil...I would stay with dino or syn...though a tiny bit of either isn't going to cause a flame out!

If it's USA bottled BMW, sometimes the Syn/Super Syn wording on top of label is tiny

No problem at all. However, I believe when you've done the oil change, and added the oil, the 4 quarts will be plenty. You never get all the old oil drained, so mine never holds 4 full quarts...

one more question

i reused the old crush ring because i couldn't find the new one i got.
is that a mortal sin?

4 qts is full up:)

My GSA with 4qts is right at top of window, no gap showing. Seems to settle back to mid/high window after a few miles and stays there to next change. Crush washers are easily used twice+ and can be found at any auto parts store, FYI. If you find the washer worn out and seaps oil, YOU can drain the new oil back out into a "clean pan" and put the new washer on, pour oil back in:). DON"T try and overtighten the plug to stop a faulty washer leak. I've never had one leak, reusing it. Randy:thumb

is that a mortal sin?

You are responsible for the hole in the ozone layer, global warming and male pattern baldness. What were you thinking reusing a crush washer!?:rolleyes

I reuse mine for at least six oil changes. No leaks so far. Don't get overpowering when you tighten the plug. I've never heard of one falling out. I've heard of many being stripped.

Actually, the difference between 4 quarts and 4 liters is 7.2oz. That's almost half the looking glass.

book says it takes 4.0 liters. got bmw sae 20w-50 oil delivered.
i guess its dyno.

guess what.........it comes in quart containers (.946 liter) of which i got 4.

so now i gotta get another,

(1.0-.946=.054 liter) x 4 = .216 liter (3.4 oz)

to fill it up properly with a filter change.

what a PITA.

i have some never used bmw sae 10w40 api sg sg left over from my '87 r80.

anybody see a problem adding 3.4 oz of that?

how about mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic?

thx.
ed

8000531233_509f0e9e0a.jpg

good catch!

thanks ponch.

What did one Math book say to the other? Don't bother me I've got my own problems!

is that a mortal sin?

If the technicians maintaining your F14 did something like this, what would you have thought?

Everybody's happy I'm sure that the (wonderful) techs following the nuke weapons maintenance manuals I used to write are not permitted to make their own rules.

I don't see the difference ... nor the difficulty.

4 quarts and 4 oz. Its over full. Next time 4 quarts no more. I used a real BMW filter. ]

Same crush washer on my air head since 1990.

David

Oil in F-14

If you reuse a crush washer, it will cause one wing of your F-14 to remain in the swept back position, while the other one remains in the unswept position, as shown in the photo. This will cause the aircraft to, "pull to the right."

Last edited:
Yeah I hate buying an extra quart just for top off so I just save some of the old oil and use that, figure its my way of going green and recycling.
:brad:brad:brad

In 250k miles on 6 1200GS's I have never put or needed to put in more than 4 qt's. In fact most times I use a tiny bit less. My bikes don't use oil...I wonder about the over 4 qt. fillers. Re-using crush washers...pathetic!

Back