• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT Mirrors Solved

Extra mirror is worth it!!

I just got the left side and find that sufficient especially for my pocketbook. I also adjusted the stock left side mirror to show the lane to my left which allows me to keep an eye on passing traffic. T'was a great investment especially when loaded down with camping gear.

Bill Zeller
06 R1200RT
07 F650GS

Oh yeah

DSCN0211-XL.jpg

Sorted.

I like 'em.

K RS Mirrors.
Bolt on took like 5 -10 minutes.
Look correct, that's important to me.

Installed on a '07 R12RT.

I wear lined tri-focal glasses and coming from an 1150GS to the '05 RT has me feeling blind, blind, blind. In order to see anything behind me clearly, I have to lower my head to a degree that causes me to lose sight of anything in front of me. This can range from mildly disconcerting to downright terrifying, especially in heavy traffic at night and in the rain. I like the VStream screen that is on the bike but am afraid the RS mirrors will contact the screen. Any suggestions or experience with the VStream and additional mirrors?

Which

Now that the 2010, 11, 12 R12RT's have the different switchgear on the handlebars what is the next option?

The 2010,11 & 12's ARE different. I posted a thread back in 2010 showing how to change the yoke on the clutch and brake hand brake levers to facilitate additional mirrors. I'll try and locate it and attach the link.

why can't I "see" this thread? Says something about insufficienct privs...I'm paid up.

No issue on your side, Karen linked to a thread that was moved out by the moderators , so it's not available anymore.

No issue on your side, Karen linked to a thread that was moved out by the moderators , so it's not available anymore.

Oops. Here's the image of the yoke that BMW makes. There's threads that you can attach a mirror to. I have the part number somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it.
MirrorClamp005.jpg

The part number is 32 72 7 673 917 for the GS clamp, $30.26 at MAX BMW. Do you know if the threads take a 10mm stud? MAX has a breakdown of parts needed to mount the mirrors but they show an adapter stud as required. The Wunderlich clamps state they have a 10mm threaded hole.

Last edited:
I just put a pair of "one day old" K1200RS Sport Mirrors in the Flea Market. Loved everything about them except I can't use my V-Stream windshield. I knew that going in, but figured I would just go back to the stock windshield.

K12RS mirror mounting nuts

My mirrors just arrived today. I figured that mounting the mirrors on my R12RT would be a quick 10 minute job...guess again.
The nut looked a little weird being round with no flats or hex on the outside, flat on one end, rounded on the other end and a slit in one side. I didn't see how the nut could be tightened.
As it turned out that was not to be my real problem. The real problem for me was the little thin wave washers...you know the ones that keep getting away and leaping down to the garage floor and hiding; Real hard to see in the darkened garage and almost impossible to pick up because they are so thin.
I will try again tomorrow if anyone can tell me how to tighten those nuts properly. I could probably get them finger tight without using the wave washer and then lock 'em down by using blue loc-tite on the threads. However that wouldn't be proper and I don't want to use the loc-tite in this case.

RT additional mirrors

These photos are what I installed on my '12 RT. I wanted the K12RS mirrors but had to settle for the GS version for my year bike. Not as good looking as the K12's but vastly improves rear visibility with the topbox mounted.

Last edited:
My mirrors just arrived today. I figured that mounting the mirrors on my R12RT would be a quick 10 minute job...guess again.
The nut looked a little weird being round with no flats or hex on the outside, flat on one end, rounded on the other end and a slit in one side. I didn't see how the nut could be tightened.
As it turned out that was not to be my real problem. The real problem for me was the little thin wave washers...you know the ones that keep getting away and leaping down to the garage floor and hiding; Real hard to see in the darkened garage and almost impossible to pick up because they are so thin.
I will try again tomorrow if anyone can tell me how to tighten those nuts properly. I could probably get them finger tight without using the wave washer and then lock 'em down by using blue loc-tite on the threads. However that wouldn't be proper and I don't want to use the loc-tite in this case.

On my 1150RT I ended up taping the washer in place and then getting the nut on. If I had moved the controls for that side I could have done it without tape. I am not even sure that I have all the tape out, but they are tight.
I find that I use them way more than the fairing mirrors, they are more at scan and instrument level so I don't have to drop my eyes as much.
I am picking up some reflective eyes from amazon to put on them. I have the round GS mirrors.
http://www.amazon.com/Colorsurge-LL...KPMS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335960206&sr=8-3

These photos are what I installed on my '12 RT. I wanted the K12RS mirrors but had to settle for the GS version for my year bike. Not as good looking as the K12's but vastly improves rear visibility with the topbox mounted.

What brand of tank bag is that? Does it attach the same as the OEM? It appears to be more compact and less intrusive than the BMW tank bag.

K12RS mirror mounting nuts

I got 'em mounted this morning!!! Not a big deal once I got some light on the subject and a hot cup of coffee. A little tricky on the right hand side working around the throttle cables, but not bad.
I'm still not happy with the nut design, but I guess the Germans know what they are doing. I figure that the slit in the side of the nut deforms the threads a little giving a locking effect and the wave washer adds some tension.
It takes some fine tuning to adjust the mirrors to one's personal ergonomics, but there is plenty of adjustment built in for that.
These mirrors are a nicely designed product overall, but that is to be expected for the $$$ these things cost.

...and yes, I'll still do the headcheck in traffic.

Reply to Ray

Not to hijack the thread but the tankbag is a Tourtech flat tankbag. It installs in 5 minutes. A pad is strapped to the front of the tank bag rail and a velcro pad is stuck on to the rear. The bag attaches to the pad on the front and velcro's to the rear. Some people sew a fastex buckle to the rear and ditch the velcro which I will be looking into. This bag fits very well and does not interfere with the handlebar switches which a bigger bag may.

Back