• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C3

I've been using the same lemon pledge on the outside of my C3, that I've been using for years on my faceshields without any problems, since I got my C3.

Before, during and after the Iron Butt Rally, it got cleaned at the very least three times daily since June 15th until last week.

I've had this helmet since the end of May - and for just short of 18,000 miles. The faceshield is still in perfect condition.

While riding in a more comfy 75F today I noticed that my faceshield stays open about a cm till about 45. Sure wish it did that on hot days!

I've found out basically the same thing.
I take my visor bring it down one notch from the fully opened/top position, adjust my windshield about 3/4 up, and my facesheild will stay up, at any speed, 90+.
Feels good, after that big nut for the helmet.
If I want to cool the top of my head, I'll close it, but much more cool with it open, even at the " International Rally"!

2011 R1200RT

Wet weather

Well, I rode all day today in the rain and I'm very disappointed with the performance of the pin lock anti fog screen.

Moisture got between the regular screen and the anti fog screen and fogged up to the point where I finally stopped and had to removed the anti fog screen.

Disappointing for a $700 helment.

Anyone else have this problem

jason

Absolutely not. Ok, sort of.

During the IBR, to imply we rode significant miles in serious wet would be an understatement. My experience was no where near what yours was. In one particularly mean downpour, a very little bit of water did trickle down between the pinlock shield and the faceshield.

However, I can honestly say that I have not seen one bit of fog in the pinlock shield area, though I could clearly see the faceshield not in that pinlock area was significantly fogged up to the point I could not see through that area.

I've been wearing my C3 for over 20,000 miles in all kinds of weather and have found it to seal well, it's quiet and now that I have to ear/cheek pad issue settled, it's a very comfortable helmet for me.

Quick question Jason - did you try to clean the pinlock shield and the faceshield and put the pinlock back on, making sure it was sealed all around the edges? Could be just some seal issues that can be corrected pretty easy.

Disclaimer - I have no interest in whether the C3 works for anyone or not and no interest in the company. Mine works great for me and I recommend the helmet so I'd just like others to have the same satisfied experience I am having.

I will clean and reapply this evening.............

It was tooooooooo wet along side the road to mess with it.

thanks,
jason

Let us know how it works out Jason. I think if you get it cleaned up and make sure the seal is good, you should be happy with it. Frankly, I was surprised how well it worked on mine. I blew a lot of money on a pinlock for one of my other helmets and was not too impressed with it. The C3 did it's job and the other one didn't. Think I pissed away around $100 for the thing and no joy.

Good luck.

Well, I rode all day today in the rain and I'm very disappointed with the performance of the pin lock anti fog screen.

Moisture got between the regular screen and the anti fog screen and fogged up to the point where I finally stopped and had to removed the anti fog screen.

jason

I had a similar issue and like you was unable to see thru the fog -- heck, more like water droplets -- between the shield and pinlock. It turned out to be a combination of the removable chin piece getting hung up on my Lenoesque chin and keeping the faceshield from snapping into the fully closed position...and the silicon drying out from me repeatedly having to dry it off before continuing the ride.

RevZilla replaced the pinlock visor for free (bless them!) and suggested removing the chin piece to make it easier to close. That worked, and now that the helmet is fully broken in to my head shape I was able to put that piece back in and it still seals okay. It takes a lot more downward pressure to hit that last snap seal than my buddy's C3, but it does seal now.

Pete

C3 Visor

I've had my helmet for about 6 weeks - I bought it at the RA rally in Wisconsin. I like everything about it apart from the visor closing at anything over 30 mph. I thought it was just mine and spoke to the Schuberth rep at the MOA rally, only to be told that that was how they were designed.

That being the case, then in my opinion they are not designed for riding in 90F+ weather - you need more air than the vents will let in. On my way home from Bloomsburg, I rode part of the time with the visor removed using just the inner sun-visor. Not ideal and a problem when it started to rain.

Since getting home and reading all of these posts, I've come up with my own solution. Using just the "soft" side of a piece of black velcro, I cut 4 strips .25 inches wide, and 1.5 inches long. On each side of the helmet I stuck a strip just forward from where the visor connects to the helmet. (On my silver helmet, this area is black plastic, so the black velcro blends in). I stuck the remaining 2 pieces onto the inside of the visor, positioning them so that they would rub against the velcro on the helmet when the visor is opened and closed. This provides just enough friction to prevent the visor moving on its own, and because it is black it is hardly noticeable.

I tested it this morning and it works great.:)

I've had my helmet for about 6 weeks - I bought it at the RA rally in Wisconsin. I like everything about it apart from the visor closing at anything over 30 mph. I thought it was just mine and spoke to the Schuberth rep at the MOA rally, only to be told that that was how they were designed.

That being the case, then in my opinion they are not designed for riding in 90F+ weather - you need more air than the vents will let in. On my way home from Bloomsburg, I rode part of the time with the visor removed using just the inner sun-visor. Not ideal and a problem when it started to rain.

Since getting home and reading all of these posts, I've come up with my own solution. Using just the "soft" side of a piece of black velcro, I cut 4 strips .25 inches wide, and 1.5 inches long. On each side of the helmet I stuck a strip just forward from where the visor connects to the helmet. (On my silver helmet, this area is black plastic, so the black velcro blends in). I stuck the remaining 2 pieces onto the inside of the visor, positioning them so that they would rub against the velcro on the helmet when the visor is opened and closed. This provides just enough friction to prevent the visor moving on its own, and because it is black it is hardly noticeable.

I tested it this morning and it works great.:)

Pictures?

I tried something similar tonight. I used two of the felt pad you can buy that stick under the legs of a chair so you don't scratch floors. I trimmed them down slightly and stuck them on the center of the black shield locks on each side of the helmet. When the shield is mounted they sit in the middle of the round part that fits in the lock.
It adds a bit more resistance to the movement so I'll see how it works on the road tomorrow. Pics coming.

2011-08-07_21-29-04_482.jpg

2011-08-07_21-32-16_320.jpg

2011-08-07_21-33-58_717.jpg

Last edited:
It works pretty good. I was traveling at about 60mph and I tried it at each position with no problems. Noramlly it would slam shut at about 40mph. Keep in mind I'm behind my windshield.
It is a bit harder to snap shut but just a bit more pressure with my thumb and index finger and it snaps shut.

Then the pin lock shield is not installed correctly. Don't know about the C3, but on other pinlock visors the pins are adjustable and must be adjusted such that the seal around the edge of the insert is in complete contact with the visor without any gaps and without any other part of the insert hitting the visor. When adjusted correctly it is impossible to get moisture between the insert and the visor unless you happen to have a damaged insert.

It took me a few tries to get it perfect on my Arai helmet. That was a few years ago.

Then the pin lock shield is not installed correctly. Don't know about the C3, but on other pinlock visors the pins are adjustable and must be adjusted such that the seal around the edge of the insert is in complete contact with the visor without any gaps and without any other part of the insert hitting the visor. When adjusted correctly it is impossible to get moisture between the insert and the visor unless you happen to have a damaged insert.

It took me a few tries to get it perfect on my Arai helmet. That was a few years ago.

I think part of the problem is after you've removed the pinlock visor for cleaning a few times. Once you break the origional seal the silicone strip on the edge of the pin lock visor tends to lose it's flexability. Mine seals good for fog but if you get water on the inside of the shield some drops will find their way behind the pinlock. If I turn one of the pins 180 to tighten it the pin lock visor buckles and touches the outer shield (to tight).

I'm beyond Schuberths, but I had one for about 5 years and it never fogged on me in the rain...the sunscreen crapped out at about 2 weeks of daily driving, though. I just used a pack of Bugler ciggie papers and crammed it in such that the sunscreen would stay up at after dark. I used to jam another pack of Bugler papers at the front of the shield so I would get some air in when it was hot. I'm using a Skorpion X900 helmet, now, and find it comparable to the Schuberth and somewhat lighter.

It works pretty good. I was traveling at about 60mph and I tried it at each position with no problems. Noramlly it would slam shut at about 40mph. Keep in mind I'm behind my windshield.
It is a bit harder to snap shut but just a bit more pressure with my thumb and index finger and it snaps shut.

I stuck some ear plugs in mine today hoping they would provide enough friction to hold the screen open.

No such luck.

We go in search of Velcro tomorrow.
I reapplied the fog screen but the weather has been good so I haven't been able to see if it works.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
jason

...Moisture got between the regular screen and the anti fog screen and fogged up to the point where I finally stopped and had to removed the anti fog screen.

jason

Yes! I have this as well. The pinlock on mine drops down in the middle and allows for an opening between visor and the pinlock. Moisture gets in there and then it's "game over" when it comes to fog protection.

My solution is simply to push up on the middle lower edge of the pinlock every so often and move it back into the proper place.

Agree, it's disappointing for $700 helmet.

My helmet is a UK import from 2009.

I tried my mod at 80mph and it works great. I can crack the shield open and it stays put.

You have to get the small stick on chair leg pads because regular velcro isn't thick enough.

Back