• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

experiment: you folks write the sig line policy

The purpose of the forum is discussion, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Simple discussion between members, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads and I ride a Roadster. In the extreme what is being said gets lost to the white noise around it, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Siglines are part of the white noise for me, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. That is all I am trying to say. My name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Clean up as much of the white noise as possible.

The profile section can be expanded a good bit though I haven't looked much into it. It sounds like what you want is a way for a user to put in a bio, etc.

Scott are their fields that could be added to the profile section? Would they accomodate the the 'creativity' that people keep talking about.

Implementation of any policy should be with notice and effective on some significant date such as new years.

I hav eno problem going back to where this all began. No advertising, no external links. 3 lines, x characters.

Enforcement will take time. Part of the idea of members being self moderating would have us turning in offensive sig lines.

The vB profile section is EXTREMELY customizable. And can be done very easily as well.

If you have any questions about how or where you can do what in vB, let me know. As I have about 2 or 3 years of vB experience.

The purpose of the forum is discussion, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Simple discussion between members, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads and I ride a Roadster. In the extreme what is being said gets lost to the white noise around it, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Siglines are part of the white noise for me, my screen name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. That is all I am trying to say. My name is Mika and I write the Morning Reads I ride a Roadster. Clean up as much of the white noise as possible.

White Noise? That "sounds" racist! :laugh

I'm still left wondering though... "Who's Mika?"

The power of words to carry multiple meanings beyond what the author intended.
:blush

Mika? You will have to read my profile and garnar what you can.:bolt

Well judging by his avitar, he is (or thinks he is) Don Quichotte! :lol

Hey, someone has to keep those darn windmills in line!

RM

Your guess is as good as mine, and I have been working on the question for years.
:laugh

...or Picasso! :whistle

Ah Ha! Self-protrait, now why didn't i see that?

:lol

RM

ps, I have a wonderful set of two small "junk" sculptures made of nails, hinges and such of Don and Sancho based on that Picasso print that I found in Thailand of all places back in the early 60ÔÇÖs and made by a local artist! Great art it seems, can proliferate even to the furthest corners of the globe!

See, Mika, er I mean Don, you're more famous that you imagined! ha Ha!

Humor and thread hijacking are common end of thread symptoms. Does this mean we are close to a sig line policy update?
:lurk

Humor and thread hijacking are common end of thread symptoms. Does this mean we are close to a sig line policy update?
:lurk

The fact that Lee has not deleted most of the last 10 or so posts would seem to indicate that. He did say anything off topic would be dumped, as the experiment was also for moderating technique.

Or not...

Not certain the last posts were that far off the topic, rather humorous illustrations of points made before. That said we, barring new points of view we seem to have plumbed our current collective wisdom.

The fact that Lee has not deleted most of the last 10 or so posts would seem to indicate that. He did say anything off topic would be dumped, as the experiment was also for moderating technique.

Or not...

or just not paying attention? :lol

no, that can't be it, a mod would Never do that!

Not certain the last posts were that far off the topic, rather humorous illustrations of points made before. That said we, barring new points of view we seem to have plumbed our current collective wisdom.

Yup, I believe you hit the nail on the head here as well as above, it was what I was thinking when humor and hijacks take place the topic is pretty much burned out.

And I do love that print of Don Q. :lol

RM

knary;364265 Limit the number of lines - how many? No images No giant blinking text No sales pitches No politics [/QUOTE said:
<marquee><blink>Scott ÔÇô 3 Lines max, no image (pictures, smilies or graven images of idols) no commercial or sales text, no links, no politics, must comply with all the other policies of the forum</blink></marqee>

That was dangerous fun.:bolt

<marquee><blink>Scott ÔÇô 3 Lines max, no image (pictures, smilies or graven images of idols) no commercial or sales text, no links, no politics, must comply with all the other policies of the forum</blink></marquee>

That was dangerous fun.:bolt

which is pretty much what it is now,my question again is how to handle it, most of that can be set in software when making or changing your sig line, again as it is now, but that only works when you trying to create/modify it so non-compliant sig are grandfathered, again, as it is now.

Coming up with a plan for that seems to be last remaining issue that has yet to be commented on.

RM

which is pretty much what it is now,my question again is how to handle it ... trying to create/modify it so non-compliant sig are grandfathered, again, as it is now.RM

Clean slate: Text only with XX amount of characters. Links supported.

Again, all due respect... Forget the grandfathering...
Membership should be a level playing field. Seniority only in the workplace...
Reaching out and joining the BMWMOA shouldn't have a pecking order as much as it should be seen as a status symbol for those not members yet.

Benefit of membership shouldn't be perceived as 'who got here first'. Lotta folks really don't like being labeled Newbies, noobs or whatever; having been riding longer than some of 'labelers' have been on the planet.

which is pretty much what it is now,my question again is how to handle it, most of that can be set in software when making or changing your sig line, again as it is now, but that only works when you trying to create/modify it so non-compliant sig are grandfathered, again, as it is now.

Coming up with a plan for that seems to be last remaining issue that has yet to be commented on.

RM

I'm not a software engineer but I'm not a software virgin either.

There has never been a direct comment from the current person responsible for maintenance of the forum software that it can not be done.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to reformat all existing sig lines to either be in compliance or be deleted.

Wild Blue, in post #42 has experience and offered to help. If we don't know how, let's take him up on his offer.

Last remaining issue solved.

I'm not a software engineer but I'm not a software virgin either.

There has never been a direct comment from the current person responsible for maintenance of the forum software that it can not be done.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to reformat all existing sig lines to either be in compliance or be deleted.

Wild Blue, in post #42 has experience and offered to help. If we don't know how, let's take him up on his offer.

Last remaining issue solved.

Huh?
What can or can't be done? :scratch

Huh?
What can or can't be done? :scratch

I was wondering if and how all existing sig lines could be filtered by the software to comply with any new rules as well as filtering the creation/modification of sig lines which is now being done. Again I doubt it could filter for all content such political statements and such. I know it has a keyword list of four-letter words but much beyond that ??? and how about filtering links, i.e. all links and graphics? I just don't see the mods going thru all 4000 plus (or whatever the number is) member sig lines looking for non-compliant sig lines.
Or
just starting fresh and removing all existing sig lines, though I imagine that would bring its own problems and complaints from some users, esp. those that do not log in often and then come in and see thiers have disapeared, there have been more than one incident of complaints that thier sig line was changed without thier knowledge, (although its never actually been done to my knowledge(?) ).

So its a matter of which way would be smoothest and least troublesome for both mods and users as well as the admin(s) and what is actually possible with the existing software.
RM

Vbulletin, or at least our version, will NOT reconfigure users' sig lines whenever the parameters of what is or isn't allowed is changed. I can only imagine the s**t storm if we edited everyone's signatures.

It is certainly possible to write a little script to do so.

Is it worth the trouble? I would have said no, but considering all the hand wringing over this incredibly tiny detail in our lives, I guess it is. I wouldn't have thought people could be this wound up over something so petty.

Did you know that there are people dying all over the world right now and we could do something to prevent some of it? That you probably have a lawn that needs mowing? That you should tell your family you love them? Instead of that, we're in here debating character limits in a signature on a forum for a motorcycle club. Geez.

Get a grip. I'm gonna try to.

p.s. RM, this isn't directed at you. It's mostly directed at myself. :wave

Back