• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive Failures

+1

I might like to add that this is a golden opportunity for BMW (the company as a whole) to respond. If the company ignores this article, it will have a PR problem festering forever.

One of my friends was scarred off from buying a BMW because of what he had heard about FD's. He voted with his dollars and bought a Honda GW.

If MCNEWS does an article about it, you can bet it is significant. I have not read the article yet, but will do so shortly. They must have read my mind, I have been hoping they would do an article pertaining to this.

Calling Mssr's Glaves and Largadier to the white courtesy phone, please

Mssr's Glaves and Largadier;

What is your take on the article on FD's in MCnews?

Any copyright/IP attorneys reading this who can advise on the legality of scanning the article and posting it to this thread?

I could host the PDF on my website and post a link if I'm not going to get sued for sharing knowledge with an interested audience...

I've followed the final drive failure issue and the spline failure issue on this forum, the BMW Sport Touring Forum, the Adventure Rider Forum, and the R1150R.net forum. I would really like the MOA to represent its members and establish a dialog with BMW to get some answers about the frequency of failures of these two systems and to lobby BMW to extend the warranties on these parts. Mine, as well as many others', failed just outside of the warranty period. I would really like our national representative organization, the MOA, to represent us like other brand organizations have done for their member riders with similar issues. Perhaps a letter campaign to the MOA could get them to help us. The MOA's lack of acknowledgement of these issues is surpassed only by BMW's.

Great dealer service

Just had my final drive fail on my while out on vacation. Noticed an odd noise and a bit of vibration. Checked the final drive fluid via the fill cap and noticed a metalic color in the oil. Called the nearest dealer from the back of my BMW A. Book and rented a Uhaul to load it up. I ended up in Fredricksburg VA, and the guys there did a great job with the service. They had me in and out overnight; they stayed after hours and got the bearing swapped out, and checked out the internals of the Final Drive to confirm no other damage had been done. I can't say enough good things about these guys (they saved our family vacation ;) ). Morton's BMW Fredricksburg, VA.:brad , I would highly recomend them if you are ever in the area. I'm still out on the road, but just wanted to drop a quick note about my experiance. Oh yea the bill was right around $440.00. I'm back on the road in the morning heading across the CBBT in Virginia Beach.

I've followed the final drive failure issue and the spline failure issue on this forum, the BMW Sport Touring Forum, the Adventure Rider Forum, and the R1150R.net forum. I would really like the MOA to represent its members and establish a dialog with BMW to get some answers about the frequency of failures of these two systems and to lobby BMW to extend the warranties on these parts. Mine, as well as many others', failed just outside of the warranty period. I would really like our national representative organization, the MOA, to represent us like other brand organizations have done for their member riders with similar issues. Perhaps a letter campaign to the MOA could get them to help us. The MOA's lack of acknowledgement of these issues is surpassed only by BMW's.

You should ask our club leadership this very question.

PM the elected leaders of our club and ask them when is the club going to start going to bat for the members.

Post the answers you receive here.

:lurk

The MOA's lack of acknowledgement of these issues is surpassed only by BMW's.

That is somewhere between unfair and confusing. The MOA is a social organization, not, as discussed ad nauseum, an advocacy group.

Well, you all can mine rear drive to the list. I change my drive oil every 6k miles. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. My 1st bearing went out at 31k miles 200 miles from home. I recently made an oil change 600 miles ago and noticed about 1/2 dozen 1/16th silver specs on the magnet. I've been checking for play in the rear wheel before each ride since then. This morning I wanted to go for a short ride. I have a steep drive way so I ride/coast down the the street. As I turned to pull the bike to the side of the street I could hear and feel a rumble from the rear drive. I checked the rear wheel wheel again - no play at all. I have to drive my bike back up the drive so I drove it around the block. The rumble is more noticeable on a left lean than a right lean. This bearing is close to failure and the mileage on it is 29k miles.

This is not the preferred way to start a weekend!!!

Looking at the bright side at least I'm not 200 miles from home again.

Since I noticed the specks I've been watching the rear drive temperature with an IR gun thermometer. My max drive temperature on 100F+ air tempertaure days was approx 125F with the warmest temp. at the center of the drive.

The only thing I have done in the last few days was a very mild run of twisties in the hill country. I only ride one up and the bike was not loaded. I balance my own tires and the suspension is Ohlins.

Dave Faria
Austin, Tx

I had an FD failure on my '02 R1150R. Parts and labor were $300.
I understand that same repair could cost as much as $500 depending on your location.

$2,000 for an FD repair tells me that there was other damage besides the bearing.

If you're a paranoid anal retentive with a 2004 R1150R (like me, for example), with no problems at 11,500 miles but a fear of what may come, would it be rational to take the bike in and have it fixed in advance? Is the $500 repair more or less guaranteed to fix the problem and free me to worry about other things?

That is somewhere between unfair and confusing. The MOA is a social organization, not, as discussed ad nauseum, an advocacy group.

I tend to agree. And even if MOA wanted to undertake and advocacy role on this issue, MOA would be talking to BMW using, essentially, limited anecdotal evidence, while BMW would be talking (or maybe just sitting there) with the wealth of its internal FD failure analyses on its side. BMW already knows whether or not there is a defect (whatever the cause) in its FDs, and has decided to take a course of action that it believes to be in its best corporate interest.

What BMW will listen to, and maybe the only thing (since there does not seem to be a safety issue involved), is if NEW motorycycle SALES start to drop off because potential buyers are concerned about FD failures. IMHO, only then will BMW step up.

Last edited:
Where is it said that the MOA is a social organization and not an advocacy group? Perhaps they should make it clear when they accept membership money. Individually, we can't get face time with BMW. However, I would bet the MOA could if they just tried.

I agree, BMW probably knows exactly what the failure rate is on FD's and splines. If it isn't a problem, then they should come out and say so with the numbers. However, if there is a problem, then they should support the people who purchase their expensive, supposedly reliable, motorcycles.

Yet they have no issues with accepting a free ride to a motorcycle launch overseas. What that has to do with socializing, I don't know. But you can't burn your bridges...or you'd never get invited on those. ;)

The same applies to the product evaluations...they're very one sided.

Where is it said that the MOA is a social organization and not an advocacy group?

Top link on the left of the site, "About the BMW MOA":
http://www.bmwmoa.org/about/about.htm
The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America was formed in April of 1972 as an all volunteer organization. According to the Articles of Incorporation the BMW MOA was formed for the purpose to operate and maintain a national BMW motorcycle owners club. The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs.

Using this original document as a template the officers and staff of the 'MOA are dedicated to making the experience of owning a BMW Motorcycle more enjoyable by providing a high quality magazine, hosting an annual rally and promoting the bonds that motorcyclists share. The 'MOA also supports direct member to member communication through our forum and the 'MOA Anonymous book. Our mission is to foster communication and a sense of family among BMW motorcycle enthusiasts.​

When I took my '04RT in this morning, there was another fellow who brought in a '04-ist KLT. He had a leaking rear brake, but wanted them to look at the FD as well. He had the actual MCN with him, and attached it to the service ticket with the instruction that he wanted to know the dealer's position on the article. Nice!

Yet they have no issues with accepting a free ride to a motorcycle launch overseas. What that has to do with socializing, I don't know. But you can't burn your bridges...or you'd never get invited on those. ;)

Wow. Is there anyone in particular you'd like to call a stooge? :brow

A poster said the MOA had its head in the sand. That was and is an unfair characterization.

As to your charge of the club "being on the take", it's offensive. Thank you for telling me and folks like me that we have no integrity. :bluduh

Man, this issue has been beat to death already, it has been responded to a number of times and yet some choose not not listen to (accept) those responses which says to me their minds are/were already made up before listening to the said responses and therefore there is no point for anyone in organization responding yet again.

Like a bulldog, some just refuse to let go.

RM

Man, this issue has been beat to death already, it has been responded to a number of times and yet some choose not not listen to (accept) those responses which says to me their minds are/were already made up before listening to the said responses and therefore there is no point for anyone in organization responding yet again.

Like a bulldog, some just refuse to let go.

RM

There is, IMO, room to discuss an advocacy role for the MOA. I bristle, however, when the conclusion based on any resistance to it or even stating that it isn't currently the mission of the club, is that someone's on the take. It kills any discussion and, worse, makes those more involved in the work of the club want to walk away or not get involved in the first place.

Back on topic:
I'd love to see that MCN article. As someone who just had their FD rebuilt, I was less than pleased that I had to, but not overly dismayed that after years of ownership that I finally had to do something other than routine maintenance.

Donster

In order to ease your mind, why not have your FD inspected at the dealer at the 12K mile service.
If you have both followed these threads and read the article in MCN, then you know there is a bearing upgrade. So, upgrade your bearing.
The dealer replaced my shot bearing with the upgrade.
Time will tell.

On the other hand, there are members of this organization who ride much harder than I do with tons of gear on R1150's and R1200's, and their FD units are just fine after many, many miles.

If you are a risk averter, change to the upgraded bearing.
If you are a risk taker, then ride yours to the end.

Ride safe.

Back