• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Precurser to lane-splitting in Mass.

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
While not actually lane-splitting, if Mass had it, it would probably go something like this-

Be careful out there. Seems like all the staying home has dulled driving skills.

OM

At least the perp was nice enough to slip his mask back on before they pulled him over...he didn't want to subject the LEOs to any more stress! :laugh

In MA I have seen at least one instance of lane-splitting every day for the past month in the Boston area. Now that traffic has returned to its usual awfulness, motorcyclists aren't showing much patience. Enforcement seems non-existent.

In MA I have seen at least one instance of lane-splitting every day for the past month in the Boston area. Now that traffic has returned to its usual awfulness, motorcyclists aren't showing much patience. Enforcement seems non-existent.

The non enforcement in my home town is the same. 60 in a 40 mph is the new normal, and if you could see how the cops themselves drive, you'd understand why.:banghead

Isn’t that how it eventually got approved in California? It became the norm after decades of use, and then eventually the law caught up with society? In Alabama we still have no spitting on the sidewalks on the books... it will be awhile before filtering is approved.

Born and raised in southern CA (early 70s). Bikes split lanes (filtered) as long as I can remember; frequency rose with traffic intensity over time.

These days, I feel there is little to recommend CA beyond nice weather in a 10-mile-wide latitudinal band, from Imperial Beach to, say, Pismo. Among the great things remaining is lane-splitting. Further, while drivers in California are not the kind I normally equate with the ultra-competent—for all of their flaws—the great majority, in my experience, honor lane-splitting and will proactively assume lane position within their lane so as to allow a lane-splitting biker to pass. My worst lane-splitting experiences were normally when I wasn't being as diligent as required, combined with a driver doing the same. They saw a place to which to move their car and I wasn't watching them not look (i.e., my fault). Done right and at moderate velocity while lane-splitting, one can almost always see such a potential move developing and avoid it. Anyway, I'm quite sure I've never encountered a malicious maneuver...straight up dumb, yes.

In my view, there are two ways to split lanes: like an ass and not. There are many asses in CA. More lane-splitters are not asses and perform the action with deliberation, care, and precision (especially those that commute).

In the various periodicals, I've seen analysis that suggests safety advantages to allowing lane-splitting (apparently especially at intersections, which I can understand); however, I'm not particularly enamored of lane-splitting because it may make me somewhat safer (while engaged in a reasonably dangerous activity), I miss it because it works when there is congestion. Of course, having moved to a place with less congestion...that's less an issue. But from time to time, when I ride up on congestion, my first impulse is to line up to split the lanes.

Last edited:
I do wish this was a federal law. Like the federal law that governs high occupancy lane’s requirement to allow motorcycles, it would be nice to see a reasonable, and smart, law of the land. It would be nice if our law makers could set bias and prejudice aside, look at what actually works for basically every nation but ours and implement positive change. Imagine what the promise of drastically reduced commute times, in conjunction with the other benefits of riding could do for the motorcycle industry and our club.

You can run but you'll only die tired.

I get a kick out of how we don't allow the cops just to take the guy out in a situations like this. In most other countries and they would have rammed him with a cruiser and ended it pretty quick. IMO, once you evade, the police should have the authority to do what ever it takes to stop the person. But here the cops have to chase him around and wait until the perfect time to take him down easy.

I get a kick out of how we don't allow the cops just to take the guy out in a situations like this. In most other countries and they would have rammed him with a cruiser and ended it pretty quick. IMO, once you evade, the police should have the authority to do what ever it takes to stop the person. But here the cops have to chase him around and wait until the perfect time to take him down easy.

I'm a fan of the "nobody ended up dead" approach.
OM

Well, I figured I would be the odd man out on this, but that is ok. Which is safer, chasing the perp around town for an hour, or just take him out the first reasonable chance you get?

At least the perp was nice enough to slip his mask back on before they pulled him over...he didn't want to subject the LEOs to any more stress! :laugh

Yeah! I caught that too. Obviously a law-abiding , thoughtfully considerate guy. [0:28-mask adjust]

Well, I figured I would be the odd man out on this, but that is ok. Which is safer, chasing the perp around town for an hour, or just take him out the first reasonable chance you get?

You aren't odd man out. The guy DID put LE and other motorists and innocent pedestrians' lives in danger. Play stupid games win stupid prizes...a Darwin award at the very least. I don't think a shooting is warranted (too dangerous to others) but use of a cruiser to stop him is fine with me. Of course my rational is purely selfish- What COULD be the consequences of HIS actions to me or a loved one...LE has a clear duty here.

You aren't odd man out. The guy DID put LE and other motorists and innocent pedestrians' lives in danger. Play stupid games win stupid prizes...a Darwin award at the very least. I don't think a shooting is warranted (too dangerous to others) but use of a cruiser to stop him is fine with me. Of course my rational is purely selfish- What COULD be the consequences of HIS actions to me or a loved one...LE has a clear duty here.

Call ‘em up. Let them know they did it all wrong. No way they followed the detailed itinerary that the scooter rider provided 2 days before the start of his “ride”.

:eek

:bolt

OM

When a citizen, for whatever reason, puts others lives in danger, deliberately... the contract has been broken, and the consequences of their dangerous behavior is theirs and theirs alone.

Call ‘em up. Let them know they did it all wrong. No way they followed the detailed itinerary that the scooter rider provided 2 days before the start of his “ride”.

:eek

:bolt

OM

actually, when he gave me said itinerary he said after he did THAT (itinerary) he was gonna commit suicide- I told him that if he reversed the order he'd save a lot of hassle, police resources, and terror of innocents...apparently no one listens to me.

When a citizen, for whatever reason, puts others lives in danger, deliberately... the contract has been broken, and the consequences of their dangerous behavior is theirs and theirs alone.

So running a red light justifies the use of deadly force? You have to be kidding me.

How about speeding? 10 over? 15 over?

Back