• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the recent poster who mentioned what the frontline medical workers think about completely lifting restrictions, I’ll comment on that. I’m tired of getting home exhausted, going to daily COVID meetings, worrying how my staff is holding up, explaining to family members why they can’t be with their loved ones, working in full PPE for entire shifts, wondering when it started that so many of us care so little about each other that they couldn’t put a small piece of material on their face and how health care providers suddenly became the enemy because we were providing.....science based health care. This has definitely moved up my retirement time line. I’ve been an ED medical director for >30 years and I’ve never been more disappointed in my fellow citizens from a health care perspective.

Hard not to get down when you've experienced what you have and seeing/hearing how others don't understand. Hang in there, we all need you, even if some don't know it. Wife and I had our second shot over a week ago...we are still cautious by wearing masks, not doing groups and being smart about hygiene. At this juncture we're doing this for others more than ourselves. When it is definite we can't still be carriers then we will open up. Don't be disappointed in all of us, I do believe the majority is with you.

So is the curve flattened yet? I’m 74 and retired- not sure why I got vaccinated before people who have to work for a living. They are ALL essential-I’m not, so to speak.

Pretty sure it’s the fact it hits older :gerg folks hardest..... or so it seams. The retirement homes and assisted living places were there is a lot of close contact took a beating out here.
OM

Pretty sure it’s the fact it hits older :gerg folks hardest..... or so it seams. The retirement homes and assisted living places were there is a lot of close contact took a beating out here.
OM

Haha!! I live in NYS. Death camps aside, the supermarket worker is more important than I am- big picture. As is anyone who works to feed their family. If it isn’t such a risk for them open the damn business...if it is then vaccinate them first.

Haha!! I live in NYS. Death camps aside, the supermarket worker is more important than I am- big picture. As is anyone who works to feed their family. If it isn’t such a risk for them open the damn business...if it is then vaccinate them first.

I get your point. It has merit. But the CDC recommendations were based on mortality; which groups die most from the virus. Then each state took the CDC advice and did its own thing. The biggest backlash is coming in those states where obesity was listed as a qualifying factor for early eligibility. Fat shaming! And in those locales where the state qualification lists get totally ignored. There are places where the notices say that shots are available to anybody over the age of 18, 1st come, 1st served. Not to mention the two 20 something women in Florida I think, that dressed up like grannies to get their shots. It worked for shot #1 but they got caught for shot #2. That sounds funny until you consider the ethical implications it illustrates.

When viewed as a whole, in many states it is chaos.

I The biggest backlash is coming in those states where obesity was listed as a qualifying factor for early eligibility. .

Iowa just started letting people under 65 get the shot if they have certain health problems.
Obese and smokers qualify.

For rational discussion:

Something in my head tells me its wrong to favour one group of citizens over another. I certainly can agree with an "oldest first" vaccination policy. Going further into ethnic population bases which may present a greater risk or, similarly, those who smoke or are obese - while factually correct - seems to be discriminatory. As an example of the opposite, where I live alcoholics don't qualify for liver transplants, smokers don't qualify for lung transplants and those who are morbidly obese don't qualify for stomach-reducing surgery until demonstrating a positive change in behaviour.

Thoughts?

For rational discussion:

Something in my head tells me its wrong to favour one group of citizens over another. I certainly can agree with an "oldest first" vaccination policy. Going further into ethnic population bases which may present a greater risk or, similarly, those who smoke or are obese - while factually correct - seems to be discriminatory. As an example of the opposite, where I live alcoholics don't qualify for liver transplants, smokers don't qualify for lung transplants and those who are morbidly obese don't qualify for stomach-reducing surgery until demonstrating a positive change in behaviour.

Thoughts?

Well, I don’t get it other than the fact the insurance companies think this group will cost them the most if a person at higher risk catches Covid :dunno
“Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod, say not more... “ Monty Python.
OM

Well, I don’t get it other than the fact the insurance companies think this group will cost them the most if a person at higher risk catches Covid :dunno
“Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod, say not more... “ Monty Python.
OM

Good point. I hadn't considered the difference in health care systems.

Good point. I hadn't considered the difference in health care systems.

Each system follows the money. It just depends on whose money gets followed: the government's, the private insurer's, the service provider's, or the patient's. I think priority should be based purely on morbidity data without political or money interest meddling. But then again I believed in Santa Claus, the Tooth Ferry, and speed limits in Montana.

For rational discussion:

Thoughts?

On the face of it, I would tend to agree with the policy's of where you live. On the practical side, regardless of the Covid, co-morbidity can occur through genetics. I have more strikes against me through genealogy than reasonably fair and when you add 40+ years breathing welding/diesel fumes and add the road time and the number of Husky restaurants............yep, I wouldn't qualify under the criteria for just about any care where you live.

I'm on side that regardless of age, front line/health/first responders/LEO get to jump to the front. I am in favour that those at highest risk, those that live in co-hort situations, second line caregivers(teachers, grocery store and such) should get a bump along with the next set of co-morbidity that include age.

Not digging that an ethnic group of lesser age than me jumped passed those I've described above.

That's not following the money.

Rather amazing? Crazy? Unimaginable? That this thread was started over a year ago.

Massachusetts is beginning to open up things along with many other states....I hope the plans work.

Mass is now going to allow dancing a functions......

I pulled a hammy, hope you all do better.

:dance :dance :dance

OM

Here's a tip....don't go to Miami, Florida.

Its not just Miami. I rode down for the Daytona 200 (thank you Marcia) and decided to do an in and out to Key West. Met some friends at Geiger Key Marina for lunch. She took a video of two guys rolling around on the parking lot of Winn-Dixie in Big Pine Key fighting over a parking place. A third guy jumped in to break it up fortunately.

I travelled back on the west side of the state where it seems to be a little less populated.

Something going on out there.

Everybody needs to Stay Calm and Go Ride.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Its not just Miami. I rode down for the Daytona 200 (thank you Marcia) and decided to do an in and out to Key West. Met some friends at Geiger Key Marina for lunch. She took a video of two guys rolling around on the parking lot of Winn-Dixie in Big Pine Key fighting over a parking place. A third guy jumped in to break it up fortunately.

I travelled back on the west side of the state where it seems to be a little less populated.

Something going on out there.

Everybody needs to Stay Calm and Go Ride.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

It is a cultural issue. There are too many self-entitled people. Fighting over a parking space? Really? It is a wonder somebody didn't get shot. Demanding the right to go to the beach, take no pandemic precautions, and hook up with whomever looks ready, willing and able is somehow absolutely necessary. I saw some "news" (I use the word with some reservations) coverage the other day where a college senior was whining that she was going to be deprived of an important life experience if she couldn't go hook up on the beach during spring break. Then I saw coverage of the starvation among Syrian refugee children in Lebanon and was reminded just how unimportant spring break chaos really is.

It is a cultural issue. There are too many self-entitled people. Fighting over a parking space? Really? It is a wonder somebody didn't get shot. Demanding the right to go to the beach, take no pandemic precautions, and hook up with whomever looks ready, willing and able is somehow absolutely necessary. I saw some "news" (I use the word with some reservations) coverage the other day where a college senior was whining that she was going to be deprived of an important life experience if she couldn't go hook up on the beach during spring break. Then I saw coverage of the starvation among Syrian refugee children in Lebanon and was reminded just how unimportant spring break chaos really is.

Depends on who you are, no?

It is perhaps a little vacuous to aggrandize the importance of attending a Spring Break party, I suppose. But it's not a whole lot emptier than a contrived concern for starving refugees.

Whining about missing a party and whining about tragedy share the distinction of whining.

Interesting facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back