• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

According to a report I just read on Bloomberg, the character of Montana is rapidly changing. Between the expanding virus �� and “bucks up” migrating people from the cities, now working from “home”.
OM

Well-to-do celebrities have owned places in Montana for years, but tend to maintain a low profile. Paradise Valley is reported to be a spot where several Hollywood folks have large places. The Madison River Valley is also popular. Annie and I passed Jeff Bridges on I-90 last year when we were on our bikes. He was in an old pick-up with a dirt bike in the bed. He gave us a thumbs up and a big grin. We had a picnic lunch with the guy who produced and/or directed many of Kevin Costner's films (e.g Dances With Wolves) last week. His girl friend/partner of many years is a friend of a riding buddy and the reason we gathered. That's the extent of my knowledge of the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

The newer transplants are causing more concern. One reason is their numbers. A hundred or so wealthy people who have a second, or third, or sixth home here doesn't have much of an impact, but thousands may make a big difference. They seem to be buying up a large proportion of the available housing, and not just the 400 acre ranches that a celebrity would buy. My daughter's neighbor recently sold their house. It was built a few years ago for $400K on ten acres; they put it on the market for $550K; it sold for $720K to people from California who never visited the house and paid cash. The concern of the people in Montana is that the people who are moving here to get away from the problems found in many metropolitan areas (crowding, cost of living, crime, taxes, regulations) will begin implementing the policies that led to those very same problems. We are fairly new to Montana ourselves having lived here for nine years. When we first moved here and met people I would detect a wince when I said we were new to Montana, and then a visiable sign of relief when I said we had moved here from Alaska and not California, Oregon or Washington. An apocryphal story one hears is about the transplanted couple who buys a home next to a ranch that has been operated by the same family for over 100 years and immediately starts to complain about the smell, how the animals are treated, agricultural equipment on the roads.... etc.

This is not a new phenomenon. Migration has, and will continue to, reshape the character of just about every place and we just have to deal with it.

Well-to-do celebrities have owned places in Montana for years, but tend to maintain a low profile. Paradise Valley is reported to be a spot where several Hollywood folks have large places. The Madison River Valley is also popular. Annie and I passed Jeff Bridges on I-90 last year when we were on our bikes. He was in an old pick-up with a dirt bike in the bed. He gave us a thumbs up and a big grin. We had a picnic lunch with the guy who produced and/or directed many of Kevin Costner's films (e.g Dances With Wolves) last week. His girl friend/partner of many years is a friend of a riding buddy and the reason we gathered. That's the extent of my knowledge of the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

The newer transplants are causing more concern. One reason is their numbers. A hundred or so wealthy people who have a second, or third, or sixth home here doesn't have much of an impact, but thousands may make a big difference. They seem to be buying up a large proportion of the available housing, and not just the 400 acre ranches that a celebrity would buy. My daughter's neighbor recently sold their house. It was built a few years ago for $400K on ten acres; they put it on the market for $550K; it sold for $720K to people from California who never visited the house and paid cash. The concern of the people in Montana is that the people who are moving here to get away from the problems found in many metropolitan areas (crowding, cost of living, crime, taxes, regulations) will begin implementing the policies that led to those very same problems. We are fairly new to Montana ourselves having lived here for nine years. When we first moved here and met people I would detect a wince when I said we were new to Montana, and then a visiable sign of relief when I said we had moved here from Alaska and not California, Oregon or Washington. An apocryphal story one hears is about the transplanted couple who buys a home next to a ranch that has been operated by the same family for over 100 years and immediately starts to complain about the smell, how the animals are treated, agricultural equipment on the roads.... etc.

This is not a new phenomenon. Migration has, and will continue to, reshape the character of just about every place and we just have to deal with it.

Many localities are winners or losers. People flee losers and go to winners. I would rather live in a winner than a loser. Ask the folks in Flint, for example. That said, eventually some winners become losers and the yearning to escape begins anew.

Many localities are winners or losers. People flee losers and go to winners. I would rather live in a winner than a loser. Ask the folks in Flint, for example. That said, eventually some winners become losers and the yearning to escape begins anew.

Sadly, if you don't go anywhere...........It's easy to believe you're a winner

Sadly, if you don't go anywhere...........It's easy to believe you're a winner

Travel is an essential part of human development. I personally know a few folks who have never, ever, been more than 100 miles from the place of their birth. Birth, grow up, exist, and die all in the same environs. The narrowness of view in these friends is sad, but not astounding or unexpected.

I happen to personally like small cities and rural towns. I was raised in, and have lived in six "college towns". I now live 53 miles from the nearest town, which in itself houses a small state college. At the same time I have visited and ridden in all 50 US states and all the Canadian provinces easily reached by road. I have also visited 10 foreign countries and ridden in 7 of the 10.

I obtained an advanced degree and worked for 30 years in the field of Urban Planning and Public Policy, and to a degree specialized in the redevelopment of dilapidated areas. In that context communities either improve or die. A week or so riding in the rust belt, or rural and small town farm and ranch country will clearly show you both kinds of community.

Last edited:
Travel is an essential part of human development. I personally know a few folks who have never, ever, been more than 100 miles from the place of their birth. Birth, grow up, exist, and die all in the same environs. The narrowness of view in these friends is sad, but not astounding or unexpected.

I happen to personally like small cities and rural towns. I was raised in, and have lived in six "college towns". I now live 53 miles from the nearest town, which in iteslf houses a small state college. At the same time I have visited and ridden in all 50 US states and all the Canadian provinces easily reached by road. I have also visited 10 foreign countries and ridden in 7 of the 10.

I obtained an advanced degree and worked for 30 years in the field of Urban Planning and Public Policy, and to a degree specialized in the redevelopment of dilapidated areas. In that context communities either improve or die. A week or so riding in the rust belt, or rural and small town farm and ranch country will clearly show you both kinds of community.

We're saying the same thing.......

I agree with your first paragraph Paul. I know know a family member who has not travel more than 400 miles from home. But did go on his only one plane flight from WA. to AZ. Then was back home in two days! The other family members could of shot him for dumb thing. His views of the world is sad.
A person MUST TRAVEL.

Whether a place is a winner or loser is often a matter of perspective.

Whether a place is a winner or loser is often a matter of perspective.

I agree. But ride through Cairo, Illinois and let me know your perspective. Or on the other hand, try Fredericksburg, Texas and notice the difference.

Better yet, to save some time and grief, take a tour of them with Google Maps and Street View.

The best one is the forecast of 50% chance of rain. Imagine it, somebody's getting paid to say, "It might rain and it might not."

That’s a common misperception. When the NWS calls for a “50% chance of rain”, they are not saying that there is a 50/50 chance of precipition occurring on that day. What they are predicting with a high degree of confidence is that half of their forecast area will experience rain during the forecast period.

In other words, they are saying there is a nearly 100% chance half of the forecast area will receive precipitation. Which is actually a fairly precise forecast.

It seems that The Weather has gone the way of news reports. ‘Round here we don’t even have puddles anymore...... it’s now Street Flooding :hungover
OM

That’s a common misperception. When the NWS calls for a “50% chance of rain”, they are not saying that there is a 50/50 chance of precipition occurring on that day. What they are predicting with a high degree of confidence is that half of their forecast area will experience rain during the forecast period.

In other words, they are saying there is a nearly 100% chance half of the forecast area will receive precipitation. Which is actually a fairly precise forecast.

Then why do they not say that? Of course, to the individual it still means there is a 50/50 chance it will rain.

The technical misconception may be on the part of the public, but the practical misconception belongs to the NWS if that's the way they structure their forecast. To the general public a 50% chance of rain means "it might rain and it might not" pure and simple.

It seems that The Weather has gone the way of news reports. ‘Round here we don’t even have puddles anymore...... it’s now Street Flooding :hungover
OM

Totally agree! Weather has now gone the way of news. There has to be some catastrophic spin to every weather event. Every thing in Charlotte a “first alert weather day”! It’s just a chance of showers but it becomes a weather event. None worse than the Weather Channel. Heck if you listened to them you’d never leave your house.

Totally agree! Weather has now gone the way of news. There has to be some catastrophic spin to every weather event. Every thing in Charlotte a “first alert weather day”! It’s just a chance of showers but it becomes a weather event. None worse than the Weather Channel. Heck if you listened to them you’d never leave your house.

But.... if you were to leave your house.... you could listen and find out how you need to dress :hungover

My certified weather railing detected 4” of snow yesterday ;)

OM

Back