• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stupid recall? What am I missing?

rick601

MOA Magazine ON references a recall- Some BMW's sold in USA have a safety feature in which the brake light flashes in an emergency stop. This is a good thing- yes? NOOOOO- Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 states that brake lights must be "steady burning". Other than the fact that the regulation is a fact- why is this emergency flash a bad thing? I have a brake light on my Triumph (and my RT that flashes three times before it burns steady and I feel safer for it. Most safety inspectors ignore it- except for one annoying guy- he actually lends me a screwdriver and a stock bulb and I change it- he puts the sticker on and I change it back. Needless to say I've changed my inspection guy. (This is on my Triumph) the BMW flash was actually dealer installed. I can be a self-righteous pric* but I'm willing to listen to reasons that this feature is a dangerous thing...school me.

MOA Magazine ON references a recall- Some BMW's sold in USA have a safety feature in which the brake light flashes in an emergency stop. This is a good thing- yes? NOOOOO- Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 108 states that brake lights must be "steady burning". Other than the fact that the regulation is a fact- why is this emergency flash a bad thing? I have a brake light on my Triumph (and my RT that flashes three times before it burns steady and I feel safer for it. Most safety inspectors ignore it- except for one annoying guy- he actually lends me a screwdriver and a stock bulb and I change it- he puts the sticker on and I change it back. Needless to say I've changed my inspection guy. (This is on my Triumph) the BMW flash was actually dealer installed. I can be a self-righteous pric* but I'm willing to listen to reasons that this feature is a dangerous thing...school me.

You will get three opinions on this forum. Some people find flashing brake lights annoying and will tell you so. Others like them and believe they add to safety. But neither of those opinions count because the real answer to your question is that very old and maybe out of date regulations have been invoked to require BMW to recall bikes and remove a feature that is acceptable most other places in the world, including the European Union because if it is American it has to be best and right, or so they say.

Last edited:
The flashing brake light is expressly legal in my state of residence. That’s a recall I would ignore.

Civilians are not allowed to simulate authority vehicles. You can't have red lights on the front of your vehicle either.

Civilians are not allowed to simulate authority vehicles. You can't have red lights on the front of your vehicle either.

In every state I am aware of authority vehicles flash blue lights. In fact it aggravates me when other entities; DOT, garbage trucks, private contractors, etc are allowed to flash yellow, red, AND blue lights.

In every state I am aware of authority vehicles flash blue lights. In fact it aggravates me when other entities; DOT, garbage trucks, private contractors, etc are allowed to flash yellow, red, AND blue lights.

Iowa has red and blue.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the language on the NHTSA website regarding the BMW motorcycles:

"Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,026
Problem Description:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020 F900R, F900XR, S1000RR, F750GS, F850GS, F850GS Adventure, R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, R1250RS, R1250R, RnineT, RnineT Pure and RnineT Scrambler and 2019-2020 S1000R motorcycles. The brake light may flash instead of remain steady during emergency braking. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Consequence:
A flashing brake light can cause confusion to other drivers on the road, increasing the risk of a crash."

Seems that perhaps US drivers are easily confused, but the rest of the world's drivers aren't?

Iowa has red and blue.

View attachment 78283

I did not intend in my comment about blue to exclude red. Many states, maybe most states, added blue to the then already used red. My point was intended to say that flashing red is not reserved for authority vehicles only, and in some states neither is flashing blue.

As Mr. Glaves has referenced, I am one of those who finds flashing brake lights irritating. However, if you want to have one, that's your prerogative.

Also, in Quebec a flashing blue light behind you means you're impeding the progress of..... a snowplow.

Last edited:
Seems that perhaps US drivers are easily confused, but the rest of the world's drivers aren't?

No argument on that! Stand near any roundabout or traffic circle in the US to see that demonstrated.

But what you have here is the US DOT trying to enforce consistency at the expense of improving systems. A flashing brake light during emergency braking—not at every use—would seem to assist prevention of freeway rear-enders and multi-car pileups. And, it would help reduce the objections some have to flashing brake lights in general, as the flashing could be triggered by ABS engagement or via decelerometers and indicate true emergency attentiveness and action needed from following drivers. But that would require moving to such a system on all vehicles in a phased manner, such as was done with headlight-on and other requirements—and I doubt you’ll see any such movement on the part of DOT.

IMHO a far more effective safety improvement, geared toward those who suffer from red/green color blindness, would be to change stop signs from red w/white lettering to safety yellow with black lettering. Nothing is more hazardous to a color-blind person than a red sign disappearing into a background of green shrubbery and going unseen. And even fire departments and motorcycle gear manufacturers have recognized the superior visibility and attention-getting of yellow vs red. But don’t expect any such change to be forthcoming—too much change for the average motorist to adapt to. :rolleyes

Best,
DeVern

No argument on that! Stand near any roundabout or traffic circle in the US to see that demonstrated.
>snip<
Best,
DeVern

So then, for my favorite traffic circle / roundabout story. Voni and I were with an Ayres Adventure tour in South Africa in 2004. We flew into Johannesburg and were picked up at the aiarport. We went out to a northern suburb to spend the night. We milled around, loaded bikes, and sorted stuff out that day. Then the next day we left the hotel grounds to start the tour; riding on the left (wrong) side of the road. So within 6 blocks we headed into a roundabout, veering to the left instead of the right of course. But just like in the US I stayed in the right lane of the two lanes going in a circle. Oops! The several exits (4 or 5 of them) were to the left, not the right. I made three laps before I could get over and take the correct exit. Meanwhile, several other bikes followed me doing laps. We did discuss roundabouts that evening during dinner. :scratch :banghead :)

My bulb in the Triumph (and maybe the BMW?) flashes three QUICK ones, then turns steady. I kinda like the concept! Gets attention, then acts normal- Kinda like me...

My bulb in the Triumph (and maybe the BMW?) flashes three QUICK ones, then turns steady. I kinda like the concept! Gets attention, then acts normal- Kinda like me...

Be looking for a Triumph recall, if NHTSA is paying any attention. But since they are complaint driven maybe not. Unless Triumph riders are complaining after club rides. :)

PA... blue is firewally (volunteer fireman)
Red/blue is the police and red is fire and ambulance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the language on the NHTSA website regarding the BMW motorcycles:

"Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,026
Problem Description:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020 F900R, F900XR, S1000RR, F750GS, F850GS, F850GS Adventure, R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, R1250RS, R1250R, RnineT, RnineT Pure and RnineT Scrambler and 2019-2020 S1000R motorcycles. The brake light may flash instead of remain steady during emergency braking. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Consequence:
A flashing brake light can cause confusion to other drivers on the road, increasing the risk of a crash."

The OP notes that it's his RT that flashes. Fortunately for him the RT is not included in the above FMVSS 108.

I think a flashing brake light does attract a driver's attention and thus prevent an accident, but, I wouldn't modify my motorcycle to do so. In the event of an accident where a driver struck the rear of my motorcycle I could be held as the party at fault by some Ambulance Chaser (Attorney) for having equipment that does not comply with Federal Regulations, which the Attorney could contend may have caused a crash.
If I'm at a traffic light waiting for it to change, and I see a car approaching from my rear, I hit my brakes a few times to flash my brake lights. It serves the same purpose, however, I haven't modified the motorcycle as not to comply with Federal Regulations.

I think a flashing brake light does attract a driver's attention and thus prevent an accident, but, I wouldn't modify my motorcycle to do so. In the event of an accident where a driver struck the rear of my motorcycle I could be held as the party at fault by some Ambulance Chaser (Attorney) for having equipment that does not comply with Federal Regulations, which the Attorney could contend may have caused a crash.

Of course. Did you ever notice that among the participants in a court room the only persons other than the judge not sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth are the lawyers. That "whole truth" part is important. Ponder that.

The flashing brake light is expressly legal in my state of residence. That’s a recall I would ignore.

Except that, in the case of motor vehicle standards, federal rules override state laws. It's called federal preemption. Here's a quote from Title 49 United States Code, Section 30103b:

"When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter."

In other words, the state law needs to read the same as the federal standard. Here in NY the law regarding helmets had to be changed because NY required 4 square inches of reflective material on each side of the helmet. The law now reads simply to comply with FMVSS 218.

If you take your bike to a dealer for service they are obligated to perform the recall. They don't have a choice.

Of course. Did you ever notice that among the participants in a court room the only persons other than the judge not sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth are the lawyers. That "whole truth" part is important. Ponder that.

:scratch That is a very good point!

Back