• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking to purchase the right bike

daven540i

Hello all and thank you for your feedback

I have been a Harley guy for the last 20 years. I currently have a Roadking with a big motor and really love it. If I by a BMW I will still keep my Harley, there is really nothing like it. I think I want a KT 1600 but I have read about many mechanical/electrical problems. I want a bike that I can ride 500 miles a day when ona extended road trips. I want a bike that is extremely reliable. I want a bike that is comfortable for a single rider as well as a passenger that has plenty of storage space for extended trips. There you have it what model and why?

Welcome to the forum! Even Harley riders seem to do well on BMWs, so you will likely be happy.

I cannot help you with any specific advice, since I am a small bike guy; plus I ride solo. Seems like not much in common except a love of travel on two wheels. Some folks will come along here soon with lots of good, wise suggestions and help for your search.

Good luck.

I have been a Harley guy for the last 20 years. I currently have a Roadking with a big motor and really love it. If I by a BMW I will still keep my Harley, there is really nothing like it. I think I want a KT 1600 but I have read about many mechanical/electrical problems. I want a bike that I can ride 500 miles a day when ona extended road trips. I want a bike that is extremely reliable. I want a bike that is comfortable for a single rider as well as a passenger that has plenty of storage space for extended trips. There you have it what model and why?

Which model? The K1600GT
Why? For all the reasons you've specified

One last thing...its not a Harley so don't expect a similar riding experience.

For me in choosing the "right" motorcycle, the first question was to figure out what type of riding I wanted to do. Sounds like you have that part figured out. You want a bike that will handle long distances, be mechanically reliable and comfortable. BMW's, like anything mechanical, do have occasional mechanical problems. It is what it is. BMW also makes a number of, in my opinion, great long distance touring bikes. There's the boxer engined R bikes, the RT & GS. The big K 1600 has a monster engine and designed to eat up mega miles in comfort.

My advise is to go to a BMW dealer and do some test riding. If you find yourself liking one of the bikes you tried, find a motorcycle rental company that has that model and try it for a long distance weekend.

You're describing a Gold Wing (2012 - 2017 models). :dance

Definitely do some test riding as there are suitable offers with different motors hence different feel. The 1600 six cylinder feels totally different than the 1200 twin. Very capable and reliable bikes but very different experience.

In addition to the great advice you've already received, since you mention carrying a passenger, I would suggest you bring the passenger with you when your visit a BMW dealership. Rider/pillion comfort is very subjective and seats, foot pegs and air turbulence can vary greatly from bike to bike.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum!

Don’t forget to test ride an opposed twin at a dealer as I think it’s a part of the Brand experience.

Could be you may not want the same thing as you have in a different brand.

Maybe a bike will pick you rather than the other way around.

Charlie

Coming from a Victory

I started out in the V twin world in 2008 with a V Star 1300 (37K miles). Switched to a 2010 Goldwing 27K miles(Hated it) and traded for a 2011 Victory Vision 110K miles )Loved it). From there I traded for a 2016 Victory Cross Country Tour 22K miles. I dabbled with a used Yamaha FJR 1300 for a few months as a 2nd bike to see if I would like a sport touring style bike. I chose the R1200 RT for a few reasons. 1. It was 300 lbs. lighter than the Victory. 2. It is easy to maintain. 2. It handles like a dream.

BMW is no different than any other brand when it comes to seats. The stock seat just plain sucks. The rear pillion is not comfortable for the wife. After 300 miles, she was miserable. Plan on a new seat right off the bat. There are plenty of opinions out there on which one is best:).

I have just under 10K miles on the bike in 4 months. No mechanical problems at all. The only thing that I really don't like is that BMW in all their wisdom seems to think they need to control the oil changes with a locked computer feature that has to reset at the dealer. I do all my own maintenance and this is an aggravation to have to go to the dealer and pay a 30 minute labor charge for a 5 minute reset. There is an after market computer that can be purchased for around $400 which I may end up owning after the warranty runs out on the bike.

Sport touring tires are fairly short lived compared to the V-Twin tires available today. Plan on new tires every 8 - 10K miles. I used to get 18 - 20K out of a set of Michelin Commander II tires.

Would I buy another BMW? Yes, as long as it stays dependable.

Other than that, ride all of them, watch all the YouTube video reviews and have fun picking a new bike.

I've ridden lots of miles on lots of BMW seats and think they're fine. A few years ago I bought a Russell Day-Long seat for an RT and my recollection is that it was fine too - but not really an improvement. I ride solo only so perhaps a replacement passenger seat could be necessary. My point here is that despite the negative comments about BMW seats, they might be fine for you.

I've ridden lots of miles on lots of BMW seats and think they're fine. A few years ago I bought a Russell Day-Long seat for an RT and my recollection is that it was fine too - but not really an improvement. I ride solo only so perhaps a replacement passenger seat could be necessary. My point here is that despite the negative comments about BMW seats, they might be fine for you.

Agree. BMW seats don't suck. I have the stock seat on all mine, after trying various aftermarket seats. Different people have different definitions of comfort.

Location?

If you'd advise of your location, you could perhaps stop by a BMW MOA Club meeting, see a few things, talk to those attending and get some good advice backed up by concrete examples.

The Yankee Beemers are meeting tomorrow morning at Willowbrook Restaurant in Mendon, MA, if you're located within say, 100 miles or less.

Anyway, your fun is just beginning!

Sad that you continue to throw shade both here and on BMWST.

Had to google that expression as I hadn't heard it before, interesting.

The topic originator seems to be looking for a sport touring bike that is reliable and good for the long haul and I was merely suggesting a motorcycle make that in my opinion and others as well meets the criteria. Also, I might add, the FJR is also a very cost effective alternative to BMW and has electronic suspension management. Another poster suggested Honda Gold Wing which also meets the requirements described by the original poster and is most likely as reliable a bike as any out there.

Also, when it comes to reliability even Consumer Reports seems to re-enforce the reliability of other makes when compared to BMW.

Sorry if this offends you Marty but it is what it is and not just my opinion. My FJR is my first non-BMW bike in well over 30 years and I'm continually amazed by its design and construction. Now that said I'll never part with my present and last BMW that being the R1100RSL which, besides a 1986 K75C, is the best motorcycle I've ever owned. Actually, at my age, both my bikes are most likely the last I'll ever own.

Don't forget to ask about service costs. I hear that a valve adjustment for the K 1600 is around a grand. I just got off of Harley bikes and opted for the 2018 R 1200 GSA. Ride that model also. It rides like a sport bike and is also a long distance tour ride if needed. The engine and drive train are well proven for reliability. That is why I opted fro this model. Good luck on finding the right bike. Like others have said, test ride the ones you are considering.

I hear the FJR (great) reliability brought up all the time. The problem for me was the bike was not comfortable and so I had to pass on it. Oh, and then there is the engine heat, and the poor sub frame/lack of a factory top case, but I am not throwing shade on it! ;)

I hear the FJR (great) reliability brought up all the time. The problem for me was the bike was not comfortable and so I had to pass on it. Oh, and then there is the engine heat, and the poor sub frame/lack of a factory top case, but I am not throwing shade on it! ;)

Comfort on any motorcycle is kind of ambiguous. For me, because of a bad lower back disc, a Harley Davidson is out of the question. As I understand it the front sub-frame on the FJR, beginning with the generation 3 machines, went from steel to a much softer easier and cheaper to produce metal some might refer to as pot metal which the mirrors are attached to so when you drop the bike on its side there goes the sub-frame which is a bear to replace. Glad mine is a gen2. Also, on the gen3, only one front fork is fully adjustable. The throttle body assembly on the gen3 (2013-present) is no longer adjustable for proper synchronization at any throttle opening accept at idle which on some bikes might result in some degree of engine vibration. Also, imo, the BMW flat twin design is far easier for the owner to perform DIY maintenance. The new wethead design with integrated engine/transmission certainly did address and correct most issues from previous models beginning with introduction of the oilhead in '93. Oh, and I absolutely love the telelever front suspension that is still used on the new R1200RT but not the RS model. I do not like the single sided swing arm used by BMW from '93 on because, IMO, the design resulted in many final drive failures that continued for years at great expense for owners. Engine heat on the FJR was successfully addressed by Yamaha in 2004 and is no longer an issue.

Point I'm trying to make is no motorcycle is perfect including BMW. Now, this is just my very humble opinion but I really don't like the looks of the wethead design be it RT or GS. To my eye they are just the most but ugly bikes on the market. How's that for shade?:dance

I went from a Goldwing (32K miles) to an RT (5K miles, rearended - RIP) to a K1600 GTL (17K miles) to an RT (32K miles) to a GSA (107K miles and counting).

The GSA is so ugly nobody messes with it in a motel parking lot especially if I park near anything like a Harley. Call me a poser if you want but my GSA stays on pavement. I'm old enough to break easy and heal slow, and I know I don't have the skills to take a 600 lb bike (900 lb with me and travel gear) anywhere sketchier than a good dry gravel road.

IMO a Goldwing is closest in design philosophy to the OP's Harley. Same goal, different execution of the solution. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the OP to decide.

K1600 similar but different emphasis - handling/performance/techno-whizbangery rather than pampering the rider and pillion. Yes, valve service is involved and expensive, the good news is that actually adjusting the clearances may never be required (I haven't had to on my GSA) but if it is that'll add even more expense to the job. Be sure to buy engine guards.

FJR is a fine bike, lots of them out there. Many IBA winners on them, I saw one with knobbies in Fairbanks (not ideal, but dance with the one that brung ya).

I wouldn't consider a Concours simply because of no cruise control. I'm retired, have all the time in the world, but still there are places where there are no interesting side roads as an option to just droning on. Fairbanks to Tok? Cassiar Highway? Anywhere in North Dakota? Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie?

Which bike to buy

The 1600 motor will intoxicate you. Just an unbelievable piece of machinery. I know of 2 folks who had one of the 1600s but traded them for R 1200RTs because they found the 1600s to be top-heavy. As a Roadburner, The GT and GTLs are probably at the head of the class. They are Speedwagons in no uncertain terms. If you were granted special dispensation from the Pope and could ride at any speed you wished, you could cruise at 140-150mph and never stress either machine.

That having been said, The Boxer engine has a power curve that is as linear as it gets and the power delivery more closely approximates your Harley. I run an 09 R 1200 RT which is rather like the Swiss Army knife of sport/touring motorcycles. You can do 500 mile days with or without a passenger and never break a sweat AND you can take a lot of people to school in the twisties. I average about 45mpg and have hit 50 on easy fixed throttle rides. As I understand it, the bike with bags and the small trunk is capable of 220 KM, though that could just be a vicious rumor. As with many BMWs, it is very comfortable at 5000 RPM in any gear. I was quite surprised with the stock seat and windshield as I have always ended up replacing both on previous BMWs. I have done 300 mile days with mine and found that a short stop with a 3-5 minute walkabout gets rid of sore behind if done every 1-1.5 hours. I would also note that I have L5 degenerative disc syndrome and a very flat behind.

Seats, however are a very subjective thing and your behind will tell you if you need to replace yours. The windshield works great for me and when I hit the right setting I feel like I am wrapped in a nearly silent cocoon. My only gripe with my bike is that when it is hot out I sometimes feel that I have too much fairing, though that having been said, I can be comfortable down to about 38 degrees with heated clothing, heated seat and heated grips.

Finally, go ride them all. The right one will speak to you.

Many good miles to you!

Will

Back