• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW shift-cam technology

AKsuited

<iframe width="940" height="529" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qQ_imEPmWuk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wasn't sure whether this new motor series will still be called "wet heads," or whether a new nickname will be used.

Mostly, it should be called “an answer to the question that nobody asked.” The current versions of the R1200 engine make plenty of smooth and tractable power and have demonstrated excellent reliability while keeping maintenance complexity and cost under control. The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.

If BMW is looking for something to change or improve on the boxers they could start with things like rebuildable suspension as OEM, improved integration of electronics and comms (Bluetooth that works reliably, for instance), basic reliability improvement on driveline components, and so on. IOW, things that directly impact the owner sitting in the saddle. If a rider wants more horsepower and complexity in a well-sorted street platform BMW already addresses that with the S1000XR.

Best,
DG

Mostly, it should be called “an answer to the question that nobody asked.” The current versions of the R1200 engine make plenty of smooth and tractable power and have demonstrated excellent reliability while keeping maintenance complexity and cost under control. The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.

If BMW is looking for something to change or improve on the boxers they could start with things like rebuildable suspension as OEM, improved integration of electronics and comms (Bluetooth that works reliably, for instance), basic reliability improvement on driveline components, and so on. IOW, things that directly impact the owner sitting in the saddle. If a rider wants more horsepower and complexity in a well-sorted street platform BMW already addresses that with the S1000XR.

Best,
DG

Magazine journalists are your enemy. They like horsepower, they like glitz, and no one likes to be ranked last.

Case in point, "soft touch" materials in cars. Another word will shrink, crack and look and feel like hell in 10 years.

Or This bike weights 20 lbs more than the competition. then you get thin plastics, more plastic, lighter drivetrain, etc.

Ever see any journalist say these shock will need replaced in 3 years or less to the tune of 4K. There goes your resale. That would be career death, just like pointing out that a 700 dollar helmet is not likely to protect any better than a $150 dollar helmet.

Oh and clearance is adjusted n the base circle, that is the same for both cams. No extra cost until the actuator fails.

Rod

Magazine journalists are your enemy. They like horsepower, they like glitz, and no one likes to be ranked last.

Case in point, "soft touch" materials in cars. Another word will shrink, crack and look and feel like hell in 10 years.

Or This bike weights 20 lbs more than the competition. then you get thin plastics, more plastic, lighter drivetrain, etc.

Ever see any journalist say these shock will need replaced in 3 years or less to the tune of 4K. There goes your resale. That would be career death, just like pointing out that a 700 dollar helmet is not likely to protect any better than a $150 dollar helmet.

Oh and clearance is adjusted n the base circle, that is the same for both cams. No extra cost until the actuator fails.

Rod

For twenty years I read what they wrote about turn signals they hated and I got used to in 1986. Sheesh!

The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.

Valves are adjusted while the cam is on the base circle (zero lift) and should be the same for both cams. I can't see valve adjustment being any different with this technology.

Valves are adjusted while the cam is on the base circle (zero lift) and should be the same for both cams. I can't see valve adjustment being any different with this technology.

Well, we will know for sure when the flat rate tables are released, along with the special tools list. And I long ago gave up assigning any credence to the ramblings of moto-journalists. I’d be much more interested in reading the results of a survey amongst present owners, asking which changes they would most like BMW to make; a valve train redesign or any of the changes I listed in my previous post.

Best,
DG

Pretty cool. "Souvereign acceleration and impressive elasticity" now there's a catch phrase. Moto journalists, more like ad copy writers, real journalism died a long time ago, I haven't subscribed to any publications for 20 years.

I'm wondering how long that system will last and how expensive the repairs will be..... Another bike best owned within the warranty period.....:hungover

Variable valve lift has been done before. It sounds like it is about emissions as well as efficiency:

<iframe width="940" height="529" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5dy2Vnf95w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is possible this is an answer to a question nobody asked. Whizzy brakes, anyone?

At the same time I do smile every time I read comments about things that have been on cars for a decade or more that some people think can't possibly be any good on a motorcycle. Fuel injection, anyone. Or CANBUS, anyone? Or variable valve timing, anyone?

Yes, my old CRV and xB have vvti heads. That would be an '08 and '06. And after a couple hundred thousand miles if something goes bad they get crushed. My old bikes, OTOH........

Mostly, it should be called “an answer to the question that nobody asked.” The current versions of the R1200 engine make plenty of smooth and tractable power ...

Better wait until you ride one.

My observation of current R1200s is that they are gutless below 4000 rpm and if you want to maintain an acceleration safety reserve you ought not to run below that.

Bet that changes with variable valve timing.

On BMW cars, variable valve lift and timing replaces throttle plates, thereby reducing pumping loss and improving fuel economy.

Is this a feature of the R1250?

It is possible this is an answer to a question nobody asked. Whizzy brakes, anyone?

As I've posted elsewhere, my view is that if a safety feature exists, it has to become standard everywhere due to liability concerns.

Moto Guzzi had linked brakes before BMW ...

Back