• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Finished Product at the Arizona Biltmore

IMG_1097.jpg
We were there for the Copperstate 1000 Car Rally.
IMG_1099.jpg
Leo, you are quite the car builder. Impressive, my friend.
IMG_1100.jpg
Nice from every angle.

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

IMG_1096.jpg
At the beginning of the rally. Where are we stopping for Wine and Brie? What's that Guy's name, Robin something or another. :wave

We got back from Arizona, the boss was going to gone for a few months. I had special instructions. You gotta drive the cars while I'm gone. Put'em through their paces. OK, Boss. It's a dirty job, but somebody got to do it. Usually means pulling a lot of cars and or motorcycles out. Driving the cars, cleaning the cars, putting everything back and in spic and span shape. Driving the cars sounds like fun, but it's a lot of work.
I decided since they were going for a ride, I'd hit the Memphis car show scene. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Folks would get to see some nice stuff, and cars would get exercised. :thumb

IMG_1103.jpg
Car show at Overton Park Memphis, Tn. Parked in front of the old Friday's. Took my girl the friend here back in 1972. Whoa, that is just to long ago. Best girl friend, I ever had. But that's another
The Kurtis was a fun car to drive, it always got a lot of attention. It actually drove like any American car from the 1949-50 era. The 331ci V8 had a nice sound, thx you much, Leo. I got the opportunity to drive it in the New England 1000 Vintage Car Rally, in I believe '98. Nice event and I got to ride my R90/6 a few days up there. Best part of the trip. You remember the visit to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory. :thumb
Another double post. Oh, the car's cool, and I clean up OK.

A big event in Memphis every year is Italianfest. I gotta call from some of the event organizers. Back then they had a car and motorcycle show as part of the event. We need some vehicles for the show. I can help Ya'll out, what's the date.
IMG_1104.jpg
Fiat Abarth 850TC. Pretty fast little car. I had it up to 100mph on the Memphis interstate system. Had some guys trying to race me, it was kinda fun. Leo had that little engine tuned up real fine.
IMG_1105.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 211
IMG_1107.jpg
Nice of Mom to come over. The fast Fiat Abarth is on the right. I got a little confused. A buddy drove one and I drove the other.

IMG_1108.jpg
My mother hung out with another buddy of mine John Munoz. John was a a good competitive racer back in the 1950's. I think he came in 13th place in the Daytona 200 back in 1953. That's when they raced on the street and the beach. He was a good guy. My mother really enjoyed the day, taking pics and meeting all those people.

1973 Baja Race Truck

I saw they were having a truck show close to the shop. It was about a block down from the biker bar I hung out in. Time to get the burly beast out. The boss was on the race team that raced this truck back in the early 70's. He was one of the drivers. Years later he tracked the truck down and had it restored like it was when he raced it. Back in the 90's I was taking it to a truck show.
IMG_1112.jpg
It was a burly beast. It was cool, get outa my way. From the little micro cars to this.
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
It would go well over 100mph. But it would beat you to death. It was loud. You needed ear plugs and ear covers to stay in this truck for very long. I think the boss drove it in several races. I think he finally decided that kind of racing was to rugged for him.

The boss's son Junior, now that's funny, opened a motorcycle dealership, I think it was Ducati and Triumph. Nice place and he had an open house and bike show. I took some bikes over for the show. One of the Ducati racers of that era showed up to sign autographs and promote Ducati's. I think this lady was part of the promotion. All I can say is that it's a good thing I got sun glasses on, cause I ain't looking straight ahead. :thumb

Old memories

I'm glad you had a camera to preserve these old memories! These pictures sure bring back to old times!
Thanks Barry!

IMG_1126.jpg
Glad I took the time to visit with Ed. Great Guy, great adventure, great book, great motorcycle. Bulow Campground during Daytona Bike Week. Really enjoyed the 10 years I stayed here 1990-1999.
IMG_1128.jpg
Some people dream about a great adventure, some people do a great adventure. Some people dream about writing a book, some people write the book. Ed did the adventure and and wrote the book about it. :thumb
Hope your still riding those adventures wherever you are my friend. :dance

Forgot to mention this picture is at the BMW Zentrum museum a few years back when BMW motorcycles were part of the display. :dunno

Going to Daytona Week was always a treat. All the bikes and all the people. All there, but with different interests. One, that fascinated me were the motorcycle world travelers. Saw these 2 GS PD's out fitted for complete world traveling, riding the complete globe. Saw these bikes all that week, but not the riders. If I did see them I did'nt get their pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 190
Back