• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW's Reputation

You know, reading this forum, you'd think many of the people on it were led at gun-point to buy their BMW bikes. I belong to a few BMW bike forums and this is the worst -- in fact the only one -- for its level of negativity, whether it's the product, the HQ move etc., etc. Do you guys ever "listen" to yourselves? It wasn't always like this, but it sure has become rather off-ptting of late. I know I can easily solve that -- and I do -- by spending a lot less time around here. I mean, who wants the constant carping, whining, smugness and the like?

I think a lot of people complain. Now do we fit things. Every time a person complains they should ask did do any thing to fix the problem!

Step up an volunteer, after that, then come back an ask other to sign up.

Elections are coming up. If we don't like what we see now it the time to make changes.

George aka: MTHelmet

I think a lot of people complain. Now do we fit things. Every time a person complains they should ask did do any thing to fix the problem!

Step up an volunteer, after that, then come back an ask other to sign up.

Elections are coming up. If we don't like what we see now it the time to make changes.

George aka: MTHelmet

But I'm not registered to vote in South Carolina...LOL?

BMW bubbled to the top for me after my first bike, 68 CL350. A 73LWBR60. Easy breathing at highway speed and smooth, I couldn't believe it possible. And then I realized BMW bikes can be worked on by the owner. So I always say a thank you to BMW everytime I go out to garage. And I always think about the people who figgered this mechanical thingee before/while/after I take it apart. It's kinda like stepping back into a time before CAD. Pattern makers always come to mind. BMW gives this to its owners for a very small price of entry point. A huge payback. Almost grabbed a FJ1100 couple years back, grabbed an old KRS instead. Right decision. As for MOA forum, each forum has it's own flavor. To each their own.

BMW is a luxury product and its reputation in that market and the press that serves it is apples/oranges compared to its reputation among a (very) small group of folks for whom a mechanical problem represents a financial disaster.

They have indeed improved their response to mechanical issues, the RT stop-riding incident being the most significant. But of course it's pretty likely they killed a British journalist with the first wethead GS iteration and after all the R1200GS is the best selling of all motorcycles in the UK so they had plenty of incentive. They seem to have survived unscathed, perhaps some financial payment notwithstanding.

One doubts many Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc., owners feel betrayed and embarrassed if their vehicles have a mechanical issue, but then apparently their guilt level for owning such a thing isn't very high to begin with. For the most part, that's BMW's market, too, and yes, their reputation remains pretty high. It's delusional to consider BMW motorcycle ownership an economical, earth-friendly, consumer-reports-approved sort of thing. Expensive toys are another category altogether.

You know, reading this forum, you'd think many of the people on it were led at gun-point to buy their BMW bikes. I belong to a few BMW bike forums and this is the worst -- in fact the only one -- for its level of negativity, whether it's the product, the HQ move etc., etc. Do you guys ever "listen" to yourselves? It wasn't always like this, but it sure has become rather off-ptting of late. I know I can easily solve that -- and I do -- by spending a lot less time around here. I mean, who wants the constant carping, whining, smugness and the like?

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, Mark

But of course it's pretty likely they killed a British journalist with the first wethead GS iteration.

That seems to be a pretty strong statement about that accident but I am not familiar with all of the details. How do others weigh in?

The survey is more about the corporate than the product. Mostly irrelevant to many of the issues here.

"The brands are ranked according to their reputations based on factors including innovation, governance and citizenship"

BMW is a luxury product and its reputation in that market and the press that serves it is apples/oranges compared to its reputation among a (very) small group of folks for whom a mechanical problem represents a financial disaster.

They have indeed improved their response to mechanical issues, the RT stop-riding incident being the most significant. But of course it's pretty likely they killed a British journalist with the first wethead GS iteration and after all the R1200GS is the best selling of all motorcycles in the UK so they had plenty of incentive. They seem to have survived unscathed, perhaps some financial payment notwithstanding.

One doubts many Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc., owners feel betrayed and embarrassed if their vehicles have a mechanical issue, but then apparently their guilt level for owning such a thing isn't very high to begin with. For the most part, that's BMW's market, too, and yes, their reputation remains pretty high. It's delusional to consider BMW motorcycle ownership an economical, earth-friendly, consumer-reports-approved sort of thing. Expensive toys are another category altogether.

The problem with your analogy is that the things that go wrong aren't high tech, but often settled engineering. There's really no excuse.

Hey ...... slightly off topic, and admittedly late to the party, but I just discovered there is such a thing as an Ignore List. Seriously?

Seriously?! Apparently, some on this club have not evolved socially any further than the "I'm taking my ball and going home" playground mentality of grade school.

Seriously? Wow.

Learn something new everyday. :scratch

Back