• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter riding - below 40* when still - gloves or hand guards

BostonG

Winter - heated gloves vs hand guards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winter is starting to roll in. I have factory heated grips, m and riding with BMW all season gloves. ingers quickly become numb. The palm side of the finger are a but warm but the rest of the hand is numb. 2011 F800R. Would you opt for battery heated gloves or hand guards. Very diferent and never used either. What is your experience?

Can't afford both options but need something for day long rides. Would prefer not to connect to the electrics system. Either self contained batteries or a well build hand shield.

ANyone try both options and have a compelling recommendation? thanks

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

FontSize

. .

Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
None

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Submit to Digg Digg
Submit to del.icio.us del.icio.us
Submit to StumbleUpon StumbleUpon
Submit to Google Google

Posting Permissions

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
[VIDEO] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Rules

-- Arabic (AE) -- Deutsch (DE) -- Deutsch (SIE) -- English (UK) -- English (US) -- Español (ES) -- Français (FR) -- Italiano (IT) -- Nederlands (NL) -- Polish (PL) -- Swedish (SE)
Contact Us
F800Riders.org
Privacy Statement
Terms of Service

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Image resizer by SevenSkins

Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.3.0 Patch Level 2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Heated gloves because even the best handguards cannoy block ambient temps nor all the wind like heat can. Think of it this way, in the winter your inside a house
but it still gets cold so you put the heat on.

Handguards worm great to a certain point but are only as good as your insulated glove is and to a certain ambient temperature.

Heated gloves allow you to ride longer and in colder temps.

Ymmv and imho of course. Each person's tolerance to cold will vary.

Battery powered gloves are not practical. Hand guards don't keep your hands from getting cold. You have 2 options, heated gloves or handlebar mitts. The mitts fit over your L/R grips and switches. The mitts are $20-30. When you have heated grips, all you need is a light pair of cotton gloves when you have the mitts on.

Try Hippo hands. With your heated grips should be good for commute type rides.. Always found my hands got damp in heated gloves and the liner pulled out when i took them off.

Try Hippo hands. With your heated grips should be good for commute type rides.. Always found my hands got damp in heated gloves and the liner pulled out when i took them off.

If you can find 'em. It's a little weird at first, not being able to actually see your hands, but they work a treat!. Also silk glove liners are great and cost about $9 at all sorts of retailers

Plus 10K on the Hippo Hands........ Road many thousands of miles down into the teens and twenties back in the 20th century. (that's weird feeling saying that) Anyway, very much worth the search to get some. THEY WORK..... God bless......Dennis

As a previous poster said, don't waste your time or money on battery operated gloves. They don't produce enough heat for long enough to do your hands any good. They are OK, however, for use on a snow plow in your driveway this winter. (Guess how I figured this out!)

Hippo Hands are fine for what you seem to need. While heated grips only heat your palms--as you've already learned--they work fine inside the Hippo Hands. Good luck.

I have a set of Gerbing gloves that can be connected to the bike or battery powered. They seem to work well in either mode, but the small pouches on the gauntlets that are intended to house the batteries are a bit small and the batteries press uncomfortably on the backs of my wrists. I have thought about using a pair of mobile phone arm bands to house the batteries. For commuting or around town riding where a long duration is not required, the gloves work well. Given the price of the batteries, a direct connection to the bike is a much cheaper option.

I think Hippo Hands are out of business- not sure if it was the crrazzee thread on ADV that did it :whistle
Another version of the handle bar hand warmers are available from places like Rocky Mountain ATV.....

tus_07_han_mit_blk.jpg

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts :thumb

OM

PS- I'll probably roll this over to Gear when my hands thaw :)

!!!???

I think Hippo Hands are out of business- not sure if it was the crrazzee thread on ADV that did it :whistle
Another version of the handle bar hand warmers are available from places like Rocky Mountain ATV.....

tus_07_han_mit_blk.jpg

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts :thumb

OM

PS- I'll probably roll this over to Gear when my hands thaw :)

$16.00!!!?:dance bold italics bright color big font wow. i wasn't even planning to ride much after it got seriously cold, but now I'm in!

Cool :thumb
I can't remember where I heard of their demise. I think the Hippo Hands are more robust than the Tusk.
OM

Yes i don't have the original hippo hands but use some I purchased from an ATV shop for late fall hunting rides on the KLR. No heated grips, just some lined winter type gloves and can go all day.

Try any ATV or Snowmobile shop

Heated grips are only effective in mildly-cool temps, as they do not heat the entire hand, nor is it practical to use your Cruise Control, as gripping tightly to get heat often moves the throttle just enough to cancel the cruise.

I use heated Gerbing gloves (with a lithium battery in each gauntlet). They are comfortable, waterproof, come in sizes to fit really large mitts, block the wind from creeping up your jacket sleeve, can last 4-6 hours per charge, and recharge quickly overnight.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...arch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=heated+battery+gloves

Often on sale at Cabela's for less than $200. :thumb

My Gerbing heated gloves are good down to at least 15 degrees F, and probably quite a bit lower than that. If you are going to go the heated glove route, you need the gloves that receive their power from the motorcycle, not the one that use batteries that you have to recharge at home. Gerbing heated glove liners are also a good option, but you generally need to wear them inside windproof/waterproof gloves that are at least one size larger than you usually wear.

Anything that can keep the wind off your hands is a plus when riding in cold weather, but that alone, even with heated grips, might not be enough when it gets to subfreezing temperatures or on long rides in the 40's. I bought a pair of Bark-Busters handguards for my 2015 R1200R, in anticipation of a very cold winter. I know that I will still end up wearing my Gerbing gloves too when it is really cold.

Gerbing heated gloves cost around $200+. The thermostat for the gloves is another $100. Bark-Busters handguards cost $114+shipping. Some riders like Hippo-Hands, which sell for around $80.00 plus shipping. I'm not a big fan of them for more than aesthetic reasons.

As for unheated riding gloves, I have never had a pair that was all that warm in really cold conditions. About the only way to make a glove or mitt work well is to pack it with insulation. That is fine for hiking, camping or hunting, but thick gloves do not perform well when riding a motorcycle. All of the hoopla about high-tech, space-age insulation material has never panned out for me with gloves. I have found that the best solution for cold-weather riding is heated gloves, preferably behind something that blocks the wind from hitting them.

Put me strongly in the camp for a hippo-hands like solution.

I'm using Wunderlich's - which don't fit the R1200R quite as well as I'd like due to where the mirror stems come out of the hippo-hand. I own Gerbing heated gloves, never liked wearing them - the wiring can be felt - and the gloves weren't particularly comfortable, nor was the wiring harness needed to hook them up (same problem with their heated socks which I also own and never wear.)

With the Wunderlich muffs - I have to turn off my heated grips - even in 30F temps - after about 5 minutes or my hands get too hot. I wear summer weight gloves to get the best heat transfer (and control feel) with the muffs. Since they come up on the sleeve of my Aerostich - they also block wind coming up the sleeve. Nice thing - they also provide dry hands when it gets wet out.

Only thing with muffs - don't take your hand out at speed to wave to someone as a traffic light is coming up (DAMHIK, I just do..) The ends will tend to close up leading to fumbling to get to the clutch as the light changes. I'm thinking of adding some bailing wire to the openings in mine to help keep them open when I forget that rule. :dance

BTW - you also DO want brush-guards or GS hand-guards for using these, otherwise they will tend to move back at speed, and could press on your clutch/brake lever. The brush/hand-guards are a good idea anyway - besides keeping bugs from going up your sleeve in the summer, they provide significant weather protection even without the Hippo-hand like muff.

after looking at that other link re Hippo Hands, I fear I may be a bit disappointed when I see the $16 version, but hope springs eternal..among cheap guys:thumb
I'll report in a couple days...tho the temps in Chgo aren't likely to warrant much besides gloves

Be very interested in how the $16 ones work out. Didn't see any opening for a mirror stalk which might be an issue, but there was only the one photo that really didn't show much at all.

PLEASE keep us informed when they arrive.

I tried the Wunderlich's, based on a forum recommendation, on my F800GS. The way they had them designed, it would push on the start button :scratch
I sent them back....Wunderlich was no problem with the return.
OM

Back