• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windshield Options - R100/7

tlangman4

Hi All-

I have just completed a recommissioning of a low-mile ‘78 R100/7T. This is the first naked airhead I have had in many years. I would like to add an aftermarket wind screen to cut down on wind blast. Lots of options for sale; I’m hoping that some folks on the forum could suggest wind screen options that work best for the naked R100.

Thank you!

Tom

I’ve been using the National Cycle Deflector for years on a variety of naked airheads. It’s not a large, full coverage, sail. It’s handlebar mounted and does a good job of taking the blast off of your chest and deflecting the wind up over and around the rider.

IMG_6140.jpg

IMG_3531.jpeg

P1010010.jpeg

My experience

It has been a long time since I had a "naked" bike, that being my first BMW, A R75/7. I installed an aftermarket windscreen and found in certain conditions instability while riding. Buffeting from trucks, side winds, and so forth convinced me to trade the bike in for a RT fairing bike.

NOT that I'm disparaging this type of screen but I guess I am writing, keep it down in size to do what what you want. Too big and you might have the same problems I did. The screen in the pictures here looks about the right size for me if I were to do it again. St.

I restored a ‘74 R90/6. The process included removing a Windjammer fairing. Took the bike the original naked bike look. Loved that look. But riding in my area is a bug/insect swarm. Tried several good aftermarket windshields. Different sizes and shapes. They all kinda worked, but. Didn’t like the look. Kept coming across the BMW windshield kit in the BMW parts catalog. Kinda pricey back 20 years ago. The windshield came out in ‘77 for the /7 models. But would retrofit back to the /6 models. I think they were kinda pricey back then, maybe $200-$225. Finally pulled the trigger and bought one. For me, they worked well; actually pretty great. I’m tall and it gave good coverage.

I’m kinda lost in transferring a pick to this thread. I moved 2 attachment pics to the last posts on my MidSouth Ride Eat and Meet thread in Regional South. I rode with this shield 1000’s of miles. Might work for U.

I’m kinda lost in transferring a pick to this thread. I moved 2 attachment pics to the last posts on my MidSouth Ride Eat and Meet thread in Regional South. I rode with this shield 1000’s of miles. Might work for U.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:thumb

OM

Back