• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why won't it start?

r65_steve

I had the R1150 on a battery tender and it said that the battery was all charged up. I just checked about 12.5v. It won't start. All the clicking and sputtering like a bad battery would give off. How can it be charged all the way up and still not so it's thing?

Gonna go ride the airhead but this is what I had planned for the day. Darn it.

What does the meter read across the batteries when you hit the start button? If the reading is below 10v, then you have a bad cell in the battery. Alternatively, take the battery out and bring to a battery testing location...they will put a load across the battery. But attempting to start the bike is the same as putting a load on the battery.

I recently had to replace the battery in my /7 after about 5-1/2 years. My charger brought it up and it showed green as in good-to-go. But when I went to start the bike, the starter dragged and then I just got clicking. Just because the charger is green, doesn't necessarily tell all about the health of the battery.

I had the R1150 on a battery tender and it said that the battery was all charged up. I just checked about 12.5v. It won't start. All the clicking and sputtering like a bad battery would give off. How can it be charged all the way up and still not so it's thing?

Gonna go ride the airhead but this is what I had planned for the day. Darn it.

I have to ask……”how old is the battery”?

Batteries can easily read plenty of voltage but not have the depth to light a parking light.

OM

What does the meter read across the batteries when you hit the start button? If the reading is below 10v, then you have a bad cell in the battery. Alternatively, take the battery out and bring to a battery testing location...they will put a load across the battery. But attempting to start the bike is the same as putting a load on the battery.

I recently had to replace the battery in my /7 after about 5-1/2 years. My charger brought it up and it showed green as in good-to-go. But when I went to start the bike, the starter dragged and then I just got clicking. Just because the charger is green, doesn't necessarily tell all about the health of the battery.

Well, this is one of those bikes that if I take it all apart to get to the battery, I really just need to get a new one. I got a wired heated liner for Christmas and I took it all apart to hook that up. Blah.

But I think it was on the way out for a while. It's at least 4 years old (came with the bike when I got it in 2018).

While I rode the airhead to town for a fuel line filter since that was leaking, I put the Oilhead back on the charger not the "Battery Tender" maintainer. So maybe 2 hours worth. I went out and hit the switch (after disconnecting it) and it fired right up. I killed it and tested it with the DVOM and it definitely dipped below 10 when I started it the second and third time. So I will add it to the list of stuff I need to buy. Sigh....just replaced the one in the truck - it's never ending.

Thank you all for the insight.

Back