• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would be a good name?

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
Our local tourism association is planning on applying for a grant to let the world know about our great motorcycle roads in this part of Virginia. For those who went to the Johnson City Rally and others familiar with Southwestern Virginia, you may remember Rt 16 between Marion and Tazewell. Almost everyone is familiar with the Dragon and many are familiar with the Snake at Shady Valley but most people don't know about Rt 16.

What would be a good name for Rt 16 across three mountains with three or four times as many curves and better scenery than the Dragon? To me and many others, Rt 16 is a better ride than either the Dragon or the Snake. A friend and I are attending a meeting with them to discuss the project tomorrow afternoon and any suggestions would be appreciated. I live 4 miles from Rt 16 and my friend lives on it.

Ken

Don't Do It! You'll just ruin your fine VA-16 with all the traffic and idiots that it will draw!

You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye
-- The Eagles, The Last Resort

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
--Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi

Easy... Tazewell you say? then obviously the route should be called

The Tazmanian Devil :lol

then advertise it as...

"Come Ride The Taz"

or

"You got the Pazaz, we've got the Taz!"

(well someone had to say it!)
OK, I'll shut up now......

RM

Don't Do It! You'll just ruin your fine VA-16 with all the traffic and idiots that it will draw!

I know but the assocation came up with this idea. If we can keep the tourists on 16, we still have dozens of excellent roads within minutes of my house to ride. It's nice to live where almost any road not an interstate or a road that parallels it is a good ride. When we do our weekly Wednesday ride in the summer, we meet for breakfast and choose a direction rather than a destination. We may end up in Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina or even Kentucky. I don't understand why more people with bikes don't retire where the living is cheap and the roads are crooked.

Ain't that they truth! Be sure to put some bars alongside the road and entice the HD riders to come in and have a few beers before riding like they have at Deal's Gap.:hungover

A little bit of traffic will certainly help commerce a bit - good luck!

PS - The Tazmanian Devil does sound kinda nice.

By far the best route I road when at the Johnson City. Tazewell Twister?

A must do ride. I think what hurts this route, it is away from the more popular areas, that is unless you are passing by as I was coming from Ohio.

Back