• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What is the working time of Blue Loctite?

G'day,

I have a 2011 R1200GS with about 143,000 km on it and I am in the process of changing the rear brake rotor.

I got the five rotor mounting bolts out without butchering them and they look pretty good to me.

The BMW repair CD recommends new microencapsulated bolts with their pre-applied thread locker on it. On the other hand, the Haynes manual suggests it might be okay to re-use the existing bolts with non-permanent thread locker. There are five bolts and you can only access one at a time, and it is a three stage tightening process...hand tight, then an inititial torque value and then a final torque value.

So, given the somewhat tedious procedure, I can see it taking me at least 30 minutes from start to finish to re-install the five bolts. My question is, if I put thread locker on the first bolt, will it still be workable 30 minutes or so later?

:scratch

If blue Loctite has a quick setup time, I am probably better going with five new bolts as it totally removes any time pressure to get the final torqueing done before the blue Loctite hardens up.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200GS

Last edited:
My package says fixture (I think that means initial set) in 20 minutes and fully cured in 24 hours.

I think you are overthinking it. Blue loctite, hand tight, then torque, come back later and retorque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Assuming the tools and parts are ready before starting, I'd expect to have all the bolts torqued within five minutes. In addition, Loctite cures in the absence of air, so it will not even begin to set up until it is threaded into the hole. You could apply it to all the bolts before installing the first one. You might try a dry run (literally - no Loctite) first, just hand tightening, and miming the torquing, to prove to yourself that the job is not all that time-consuming.

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® Technical Data Sheet says approximately 10 minutes to setup, 24hrs to fully cured.

There are a variety of "blue" Loctite threadlockers, with varying properties and setup times, as shown here:https://www.ellsworth.com/globalassets/literature-library/manufacturer/henkel-loctite/henkel-loctite-selector-guide-threadlocker-properties-chart.pdf. Other brands will probably have different setup times.

Last edited:
Just to close the loop...I finished replacing the brake rotor, and I re-used the existing bolts and blue thread locker. It seems to have gone okay.

Thanks for input and advice.

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200GS

Back