• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Bing Ethanol Resistant Fuel Lines

Starting to wonder how much ethanol is in the gas in various parts of the country. I bought some Bing Agency black fuel line (BAI ethanol resistant line) at the Redmond MOA rally some years ago. It's on both airheads ever since then; no leaks, no splits, no problems. Don't pull it off, push it off. A fender washer filed out a bit to be just over the OD of the petcock fitting makes it very easy to push (not pull) off without stressing the line at all. Without this it's like those Chinese finger traps we had as kids. Harder you pull the harder it is!

I suspect that the percentage of ethanol in US fuels is generally near the 10% upper limit. Congress has mandated there to be so much ethanol consumption and the market is bumping up against that mandated amount. That's why some states are looking at raising the standard max percent to 15% but so far the car manufacturers have resisted. It is why pure gasoline is so expensive because the manufacturers have to purchase the rights from the govt to make such an earth-wrecking fuel. That money raised is then used to subsidize ethanol.

It is a crazy system. But it buys votes.

You can remove ethanol from a can of E10 or E15 gasoline by adding a little water, shaking for a few minutes, settle, and then drain the water-booze mix out the bottom. Good for a lawn mower etc but I assume the octane is reduced. Toss the water-booze mix anywhere you can. They (EPA) mandated it.

I suspect that the percentage of ethanol in US fuels is generally near the 10% upper limit. Congress has mandated there to be so much ethanol consumption and the market is bumping up against that mandated amount. That's why some states are looking at raising the standard max percent to 15% but so far the car manufacturers have resisted. It is why pure gasoline is so expensive because the manufacturers have to purchase the rights from the govt to make such an earth-wrecking fuel. That money raised is then used to subsidize ethanol.

It is a crazy system. But it buys votes.

You can remove ethanol from a can of E10 or E15 gasoline by adding a little water, shaking for a few minutes, settle, and then drain the water-booze mix out the bottom. Good for a lawn mower etc but I assume the octane is reduced. Toss the water-booze mix anywhere you can. They (EPA) mandated it.

So the government has finally done something to help ME. If a gallon of gas costs $3.00 and that gas is 10% alcohol, AND I can get the alcohol out of the gas, that means the alcohol is costing me about $3.00 a gallon. Right (10% of $3.00 x 10 and I still burn the 90% leftover gas)? If I go to the State Store, a gallon of 200 proof (100%) alcohol will cost north of $60.00!

27 years on the cloth braid covered ones. Well, OK, maybe 7 years since I last changed it for no known reason.

On the day that fuel lines are too hard to figure out I shall quit riding motocycles forever. Sheesh!

And I was having a hard time figuring out how the back tire rolls forward... :scratch

Interesting..I've been using the Bing black ethanol resistant lines for about 4 years...install around 4 sets a month. Never had a single one come back..and we're talking bikes that go to Alaska, Baja, cross country. etc. High miles in all weather.

The only time I had one leak was my fault when I pinched the line when I installed the airbox...my bad

Remember the old Chinese paper tube toy from way back when...put fingers in each end and try to pull them back out..same principle...I always leave a small gap between the end of the hose and the petcock...when i want to remove the tank, I use a screwdriver to lever the hose back from the petcock..pulling on it just makes it grab harder.

Back