• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Video Ride to Timberline - A Colorado Scenic Byway

sfarson

The journey over Guanella Pass is an official Colorado Scenic Byway. Can find additional details about this Byway and others in Colorado at: http://www.coloradobyways.org/Main.cfm. From the Byways site regarding Guanella: "For a quick study in Rocky Mountain eco-systems, you could hardly find better instruction than here. This well-settled road leap-frogs the steep divide between the South Platte and Clear Creek watersheds, passing through a succession of distinct environments."

The journey is an ascent and descent of 3000ft. The ride captured in the vid below is over a combination of gravel, broken pavement, and dirt. It comes alongside streams, climbs to a meadow/park, ascends past an old and closed ski area, and reaches the snowcap sentinels standing guard at Guanella Pass. Then there is the descent of the north side. A piano, a violin, and a Native American flute accompany.

Grant to Georgetown via Guanella - Streaming Video

From high in the sky here is the location of the ride. Labels are noted in the vid:
guanella.jpg

And one image from the video. At the pass looking east towards The Sawtooth and 14,060ft. Mt. Bierstadt.
sawtooth800.jpg

Wow

Thank you again for having me along. :thumb

That was by far the best yet. I found myself turning up the volume to overcome the wind in my face.

If there was ever a reason to ride motorcycles this is it.

If I'm laying on my death bed, please let someone hook up this video on my way out the door.

How's the new HP2, I see you have up-graded... :dance

Take the 10-minutes to download this (sorry dial-up, you'll have to upgrade)

Thanks Sfarson that was great!!! :thumb

Doc

That's great ! Surprisingly real nice dirt road. You're so blessed to live in Colorado.
What is the sound track ?

SFDOC said:
Thank you again for having me along. :thumb

That was by far the best yet. I found myself turning up the volume to overcome the wind in my face.

If there was ever a reason to ride motorcycles this is it.

If I'm laying on my death bed, please let someone hook up this video on my way out the door.

Doc

Doc, others, much appreciated. Seriously. What a gift, called life.

RTRandy said:
That's great ! Surprisingly real nice dirt road. You're so blessed to live in Colorado.
What is the sound track ?

Feds are helping fund improvements to the road. May have noticed signs of construction here and there in the recording. One can tell there is surface improvement by comparing the road in the video versus a ride report I made two years ago here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39374

The artist is a local pianist Peter Kater with R. Carlos Nakai collaboration on the Native American flute. Track is "If Men Were at Peace" on the "Honorable Sky" album. It is an excellent album.

As always sfarson, another piece of two-wheeled cinemagraphic excellence..thanks for sharing...are you still using the Samsung camera by the way?

Thanks

sfarson said:
The artist is a local pianist Peter Kater with R. Carlos Nakai collaboration on the Native American flute. Track is "If Men Were at Peace" on the "Honorable Sky" album. It is an excellent album.

Thanks. I bought it on iTunes today. This kind of music is almost essential for living in the Rockies.

Another great video Steve but this one touched my soul - Thanks

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
As always sfarson, another piece of two-wheeled cinemagraphic excellence..thanks for sharing...are you still using the Samsung camera by the way?

Thanks

Thanks PPG... this vid was with a helmetcam feeding a MiniDV camcorder tucked in a fanny pack. Not sure if you ever did pick up the Samsung XL cam and I do like the little thing, but mostly use it when the small form factor and its simplicity is desirable. Translation: When I'm lazy and don't want to hassle with the extra helmetcam gear :). The tradeoff is the video quality isn't as good... but for web vids, fine.

RTRandy said:
Thanks. I bought it on iTunes today. This kind of music is almost essential for living in the Rockies.

You know, perhaps there is a kinda of Rockies influence on Peter Kater's music. With my sometimes dull mind, never thought of the connection. Ha. Bought this at Napster because it was one of the few Peter Kater albums one could listen to without buying/downloading the whole thing, unsampled. If you ever find "All Souls Waltz" or "Essence" on the album to strike a chord, think I did a couple of altitude vids to these tracks.

I am confused. Is Mr. Farson selling GSs or does he work for the Colorado Dept. of Tourism?

Great videos - but I can't seem to get anything done as all I want to do is watch his vidz that I've downloaded. I really like that they are in a higher resolution than possible with one of the "free" services like Putfile, YouTube, or Google Video (nice if you have your own server!)

I'll bet that Peter Kater has sold some CDs as a result as well. I know that I have just downloaded Honorable Sky from the iTunes website - a good bargain at $7.92.

Keep it up Steve!

robsmoto said:
I am confused. Is Mr. Farson selling GSs or does he work for the Colorado Dept. of Tourism?

Great videos - but I can't seem to get anything done as all I want to do is watch his vidz that I've downloaded. I really like that they are in a higher resolution than possible with one of the "free" services like Putfile, YouTube, or Google Video (nice if you have your own server!)

I'll bet that Peter Kater has sold some CDs as a result as well. I know that I have just downloaded Honorable Sky from the iTunes website - a good bargain at $7.92.

Keep it up Steve!

Thanks robsmoto. Mr. Farson records these things for self :rofl. They help me pass the time on long flights. They also put me to sleep late at night. Ha!

Agree on the limitations of the free services. I've placed a couple of vids there when my server was getting hammered, and only do so when necessary.

That is a good CD isn't it. When the mood is right, it can can really fit. Seems to offer a match with "lofty" and "thoughtful" rides :).

Good riding,

Steve

Beautiful video. Hope you ate at the Dairy King on you way through Georgetown. The owner is a frend of mine.. Guinella Pass is awesome.. Fished for native cuthroates at Duck Lake many times a little ways above Georgetown.

Last edited:
Wow

Fantastic video. Thanks for sharing. I am going to show it to friends to help them understand why we ride. :clap

Back