• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Using Hexhead charger on Wethead

kbnesbitt

Can you safely use the older BMW battery chargers on later bikes? I have been cleaning up clutter in the garage, and came across the charger I bought with my first BMW. It's a CANBUS unit, but I would rather ask instead of trying it and frying the bike. TIA!

Don't see why not. Battery is a battery. CANBUS is CANBUS, nothings changed.....The only batteries that don't play well with chargers are the new LiFEPo4 batteries that need a Smart Charger that can handle charging the LiFEPo4 chemistry.

To be safe, download the manual for your charger and match the settings of the charger to the current battery (type) that is in your bike.
A friend gave me one of the older chargers that had requirements specific to charging through the power port…..to allow the bike to take a charge when not running.
As always, I recommend a charge directly to the battery with a fused pigtail.

OM

A friend gave me one of the older chargers that had requirements specific to charging through the power port…..to allow the bike to take a charge when not running.
As always, I recommend a charge directly to the battery with a fused pigtail.

OM

+1 Gary!

Back