• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Upgrades and add-ons for r75/5

Hi
Having a full service done on my 73 lwb r75/5. This is my favorite bike, I have 7. Bob Clement from Montana found this bike for me from one of his costumers after reading my wanted ad in the news back in 04. Bob did a full service along with taking care of the sale and shipping. I have done tires, fluids, battery, and some seals over the last fifteen years. I could do more but shy away from working on the engine and electronics, to sensitive for me. Anyways Im having the front end and head bearings done so new fork boots "since-ya". Full engine tune up and pulling jugs to replace pushrod seals "Since-ya" in there. Pulling tranny and rear end to service splines and "since-ya " in there should I do things or make improvements that make sense "since-ya" have it apart. Most rubber bits will be replaced along with cables. Im keeping this one stock as far as electronics and do not want any performance mods, but do you guys suggest any improvements I should not ignore "Since-ya" in there working on it.
Thanks
Brian

Brian -

Sounds like the bike is a keeper! How many miles on it? With the transmission out, makes me think about the various seals in that area...unless Bob did them. Namely the transmission input seal as well as the rear main seal and oil pump cover. Those last two means more work in terms of pulling the clutch and flywheel (be sure and block the crankshaft from moving forward!). But if you're not really seeing issues with leaks in these areas, maybe leave it alone. If many miles on the clutch, time to replace it??

How's the bike's performance? Oil usage...gas mileage? Does the bike still have good compression? These issues tend to be high mileage or abused type of symptoms.

I also own a 1973, LWB R75/5. It is my favorite airhead as well. I am the 3rd owner. My wife bought the bike in 1989 when I was at work on a saturday. I guess that would make her the actual owner.

When the transmission is out, it would be advised to look for evidence of leakage in the area of the flywheel, and consider replacing the rear main seal and oil pump O-ring and maybe the transmission input seal as well.

Please consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club. www.airheads.org
There are a great many Airhead members in your area, and the MA Airmarshal, Tim Hille, is very active in the club.

Upgrades and add-ons

Hi again
To answer a few questions. I'm an airhead and know Tim and have been to his tech days and swap meets. All beneficial and educational. As mentioned I will do basic nut and bolt service but shy away from major service, tuning, and electronics. When parts are removed will consider rubber bits and seals as in fork and driveshaft boots and seals when tranny is out. Right now the bike is fine, its just been fifteen years since the last major service. I have a good feel for what is needed on a major service, I just was wondering if there was a modern upgrade I should consider at this time.
One specific question I have is shocks. I bought a pair of reproduction shocks in 2007 from bobs ( for another /5 I have) that have the adjusting lever and aluminum cover. They do not have them now. What would you recommend for shocks that look stock.
Thanks
Brian

I'm not aware of another version of the stock /5 shocks with the "can" over the spring. Back in the day, Koni (now Ikon) was a reasonable replacement...don't know if the "can" can be transferred. Past discussions on shocks have been on the forum. Tom Cutter on the east coast and Ted Porter on the west coast can supply shocks that are specific to your configuration and riding style.

"Since-ya" pulling the tranny, check for spooge from the rear main seal and check the clutch plate thickness. If the flywheel comes off "Since-ya" in there, change the oil pump o-ring.

Service almost done

Hi
Bike is almost done at the spa haha. Front end done over with new head bearings and boots. Engine tune up with new pushrod seals and gasket reseal. Tranny and clutch out, new bearing in tranny and r main and gasket/o rings done and old clutch back in ( has plenty of meat left). Few rubber bits and all grease and oils done as well. Nice to know after 46 years we are mostly replacing wear items and not having to "upgrade". I am replacing the rear shocks with a new set of Ikons. Would have rebuilt the originals but Ikons from bobs with the cover will do nicely. Looking forward to a freshly tuned airhead to cruse the secondary roads of New England.
Brian

Yes, a R75/5 is a good traveling companion. 50hp is more than adequate for meandering the hiways and byways of New England. Back in the early 90's I spent a week wandering around upstate New York and Vermont on my '74 R90/6 which is very similar to your R75. Don't be surprised if every time you park your bike, it will draw a crowd. Ride and enjoy.:thumb

I'm not aware of another version of the stock /5 shocks with the "can" over the spring. Back in the day, Koni (now Ikon) was a reasonable replacement...don't know if the "can" can be transferred. Past discussions on shocks have been on the forum. Tom Cutter on the east coast and Ted Porter on the west coast can supply shocks that are specific to your configuration and riding style.

I have Hagons on my R75/5:

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocks.htm

Back