• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turn Signal Oddity

tlangman4

Hi All -

I’ve come across what I consider a bit of a strange occurrence with my ‘78 R100/7. At idle both turn signals work as they should, along with the dash indicator. When underway, the left signal and dash indicator continue to operate correctly. The right turn signal also works correctly, however the dash indicator will blink only once and then ceases to function. It begins to work properly if stopped and at idle.

Is this an issue with the relay or an issue within the dash module, or perhaps something else?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

If you have the original or OEM flasher relay, this behavior suggests something is wrong in the circuit likely intermittent bulbs or loose grounds. I would check all four corners and make sure all connections are clean.

Hi All -

I’ve come across what I consider a bit of a strange occurrence with my ‘78 R100/7. At idle both turn signals work as they should, along with the dash indicator. When underway, the left signal and dash indicator continue to operate correctly. The right turn signal also works correctly, however the dash indicator will blink only once and then ceases to function. It begins to work properly if stopped and at idle.

Is this an issue with the relay or an issue within the dash module, or perhaps something else?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

More than likely it's the output from the relay to the dash light. Had the same problem many, many years ago on my R90s. To verify, you can hook up a voltmeter to this output and verify that it produces pulsating voltage. In your case, I'm going to guess, you get the initial pulse and then nothing, while the flashers are actually flashing.

Back