• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn Signal Cover Blowing Fuse - 1973 R75/5 LWB

peishu

Hello,

I have a 1973 R75/5 LWB.

A few weeks ago a fuse blew and I have since narrowed down the problem to the front right turn signal cover.

I checked out the wires and also replaced the bulb for the turn signal. With the right signal cover left off, I turned the bike on, and the turn right turn signal worked fine and no fuse was blown. I turned off the bike, rescrewed in the cover. When I turned on the bike again, and tested the right turn signal, the fuse immediately blew again. I tried this a couple of times, all with the same results. Eventually, I noticed that if I did not tighten the cover screws all the way in, the fuse would not blow. There are no metal parts touching the housing/casing on the inside. Unfortunately, I need the screws tightened in order to keep the cover in place.

I am six month new to /5s and any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Percy

Probably a bare wire in the bracket

Pull the cover off, pull the bulb socket assembly out of the housing and check for bare wires behind there that could make contact with the housing or bulb socket assembly when you tighten the cover screws. If you don't find any you will have to go a little deeper, to do that you loosen the pinch bolt that holds the turn signal on the stalk. Mark the wires and remove the bulb socket assembly. After that's loose and removed wiggle the housing off the end of the stalk, you should be able to find the problem.

Thanks. I will take your suggestion and go a little deeper.

Pull the cover off, pull the bulb socket assembly out of the housing and check for bare wires behind there that could make contact with the housing or bulb socket assembly when you tighten the cover screws. If you don't find any you will have to go a little deeper, to do that you loosen the pinch bolt that holds the turn signal on the stalk. Mark the wires and remove the bulb socket assembly. After that's loose and removed wiggle the housing off the end of the stalk, you should be able to find the problem.

Or . . . go a little shallower and use a shorter screw -- for instance, one that doesn't reach far enough for the tip to penetrate the insulation on the wire like the one you are using now!

As you know by now, this is what's inside the housing. Lots of stuff to "touch" somewhere. Also check for abraded insulator on the wire where it passes through the aluminum housing to the stem.

Pretty obvious, but make sure your brown wire is attached to the correct terminal.

BMW-R90S-ULO-metal-push-Turn-Signal-Blinker-_57.jpg

Back